Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade in assessment, may be of some help for some people:

Options
  • 13-08-2008 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

To give everyone an idea of the standard costs involved in reconditioning a CLEAN €8,000 car in order to sell it on here goes. The price is purely for example and to maybe make it a bit easier to follow,
    • Valet €150
    • House Charge, covering advertising, plates, recleaning, fuel etc: €200
    • Warranty: €200
    • NCT Test: €49
    • NCT preparation by trained mechanic: €80
    Profit: 12.5 percent is not alot, based on overheads and running costs of the business as a whole, so €1,000

Discount: I will leave this up to readers to assess, based on what they would offer a dealer, today, for a €8,000 car that has been shown to them in a clean fashion, by someone knowledgable, polite, and courteous:

So thats €8,000 less (€679 reconditioning) less (€1,000 profit) = €6,321

Take the €6,231, remove the discount you as a customer would expect, and look at the figure you end up at that a garage needs to have a car costing them. Would you look for €800? Of course you would,

€5,431 is now where the car sits,

Now look at your car you are trading in:

Is it due a service? Maybe €250 depending on make model and what is needed
    How good are the tires? €100 supplied and fitted for a decent tire on an average car
    Dents/Scrapes? this is a minefield, anything from €70 to thousands
    Mileage, where does it sit with similar cars in its class

So best case scenario you're car just needs a standard service no tires, €200

€5,231 is where we are at now, and that is presuming the rest of the car has no bumps, scrapes, trim missing inside, broken wing mirror casings etc etc etc,

After doing all this, look at your car, objectively and see what else about it as a proospective buyer you're eye or ear would be drawn to? Squeek over speed umps, door that does not quiete close right etc etc,

Then bear in mind the following:
    How many owners has your car had relative to the norm for its year?
    Was it previously crashed and repaired before you purchased it?
    What county plate is on it? The registration plate on you're car has a bearing on the potential selling price.
    Is it a car previously licenced in another country? If so has it a full and verifiable service history?

I threw this up to maybe hopefully shed some light on where trade in figures come from,

Mods or anyone else please feel free to tidy it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Interesting list ...but explain one thing to me:

Every time in the past when I've been on a dealers forecourt looking to exchange my s/h car for a newer s/h car nobody ever bothered to even walk around the car. All they did was take note of the make and the year on the plate, consult some paperwork and insult me with a generic trade-in value that in no way reflected the above average condition of my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

gabgab wrote: »
    What county plate is on it? The registration plate on you're car has a bearing on the potential selling price.

Very informative post.
    I've seen this county plate discussed before and it was dismissed as an urban myth.

Does a D reg realy command more as people think a rural county plate means abuse on backroads whereas a D reg is a better bet.
    People actually believe that and pay accordingly? I'm suprised :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

peasant wrote: »

Every time in the past when I've been on a dealers forecourt looking to exchange my s/h car for a newer s/h car nobody ever bothered to even walk around the car. All they did was take note of the make and the year on the plate, consult some paperwork and insult me with a generic trade-in value that in no way reflected the above average condition of my car.

Unprofessional and not conscious of costs, he has to be able to recondition that car and turn it around into profit, if he has not inspected the car properly then he will not of inspected any properly. Be wary of purchasing used stock from people that operate like this,

If your car is in above average condition then it should fetch above average prices, where this becomes a problem is:
    Where is the average? In terms of your car and the price it is making back once sold
    Also just how far above in terms of condition is your car, and how much in monetary terms is that worth?

Has it just been serviced, with good decent tires, a long NCT, a full service history, free from cosmetic and structural damage and little money needed to turn it around into a retail car? If so drop me a PM, I will happily point you in the right direction,

micmclo wrote: »
    Very informative post.
    I've seen this county plate discussed before and it was dismissed as an urban myth.

Does a D reg realy command more as people think a rural county plate means abuse on backroads whereas a D reg is a better bet.

Hey Mic,

Hows tricks with you?

Yes it does affect, people prefer cars from their surrounding area, its more of a psychological thing than anything else. It does definitely have an affect, trying to sell a country plate in Dublin can be alot more difficult, eg: 04 OY 1234

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 JohnW

I have recently changed to a BMW 1 series from a main dealer, when i was comparing his prices to another garage with a 1 series, he informed me that a D reg is worth about €1,500 more to the value of his cars compared to a other reg. He also added that the counties close to Dublin (so I suppose Kildare, Meath etc) are also more value that counties further afield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Good post, OP, thanks.

That's a lack of professionalism on the part of the salesman, imho. The general rule is to never price a car that you haven't seen - it's financially dangerous to do anything else!

Plates affect pricing, definitely. A local plate will be worth more than an "out of town" plate - a DL reg will be worth less in Cork than it is in Donegal.
    Dublin is the only plate that generally avoids this as it's pretty prevalent in every county anyway.
    It's not a reflection on how the car's driven though, D regs down the country are driven by reps and Gardai, neither are well known for keeping their cars well... Just for some reason people in Dublin don't want to drive WH regs and people in Kerry don't want SO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wait, I just remembered the old GAA factor.
    You'd want to be a fantastic salesman to sell a C reg to a Kerryman :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Very informative post.

Don't know why, but I traded an 01 LD reg car last year. All the dealers, Dublin & Kildare, I spoke to said that the Longford reg who effect the value of the car, even though I explained that it was used mainly for motorway driving. The car was a navy Mondeo Zetec with FSH from dealer and in excellent condition. Traded it in in Longford and got a good price. As I handed the keys in they was already someine interested in the car.

With regard to Trade in's, most people should know by now that they will get a few grand less than what they think their car is worth, i.e. I think my car is worth around €20k - €21k, but know I would only get between €16k - €17k for it on a trade in. there seems to be a minium cost of changing, I reckoned around €4k, to cobver whta Gabgab posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

To give everyone an idea of the standard costs involved in reconditioning a CLEAN €8,000 car in order to sell it on here goes. The price is purely for example and to maybe make it a bit easier to follow,
    • Valet €150

personally i think those figures are bullcrap!!

those are the amounts it would cost the seller to carry out the work required, the garage have a full compliment of people who'll carry out the work in their normal working day, at no extra (or at the very most a small) cost to the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Clare_Guy wrote: »

those are the amounts it would cost the seller to carry out the work required, the garage have a full compliment of people who'll carry out the work in their normal working day, at no extra (or at the very most a small) cost to the dealer.

At no extra cost???? Someone has to pay their wages!! If there doing sales work they arnt doing retail work which isnt bringing in cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That valet seems pretty expensive. That's what I paid for a top notch mobile service to come out to me at work for about 3 hours. I would think that it would be considerably cheaper for someone in the trade to get it done.

Thanks for that Clareguy, constructive and helpful.

Everything cost money, EVERYTHING.

Business is there to provide jobs and dare I say it, make a profit, regardless of what the business is,

To answer you indirectly, the vehicle is being checked over by someont aht is either fully trained, unlikely as they are working on more complex problems, or someone that is training.
    They have a wage,
    Along with the man that gives them the bulbs and wipers, the parts man
    Along with the service advisor that has scheduled the work,
    Along with everyone else in the business

Then the costs, rent, or mortgage,
    Light, Heat, Waste disposal, Ramps, Tools,

The list goes on and on and on,

Your point is not valid or even remotely well put together,

Jonny303 wrote: »
    At no extra cost???? Someone has to pay their wages!! If there doing sales work they arnt doing retail work which isnt bringing in cash.

Do you really think it costs a garage €150 to "valet" a car, how much does it cost the "man-on-the-street"?

They'll have a young fella to do the "valet".

The "house-charge" is bullcrap too. Advertising, ad it the website at no extra cost, stick a sticker in the window, maybe ad it to the ad in the local paper which will be a fixed cost too. Plates? most second-hand cars i've seen have plates on them already! Re-cleaning? "young fella, get the hose out again!" Fuel? how many cars have you taken for a test drive that DIDN'T have it fuel warning light on?

Warranty? Where's the cost? There's a value attached to it but no fixed cost.

NCT Test? If it requires one you can be sure that cost was taken off the previous owners deal.

NCT Prep? As above,

All work will be carried out during the course of the normal working day after paying jobs like servicing and repairs have been done.

And no... i don't expect the salesman will dragged away from his desk or flirting with the receptionist to help out...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Jonny303 wrote: »

+1

@Clare_guy. Clearly some1 has to be paid for work carried out plus parts, and profit. Nothing comes at no extra cost to a dealer.

Our warranty and house charges and more than the above qouted but i would say that is a round about figure.

I would also never give a car a value without inspecting it.

eoin_s wrote: »
    That valet seems pretty expensive. That's what I paid for a top notch mobile service to come out to me at work for about 3 hours. I would think that it would be considerably cheaper for someone in the trade to get it done.

The guy doing at your house does not have the costs involved, a valeting bay or two removes two ramps from a service area,

Also its an average, some cars are clean and can be done quick, others may need two interior valets,

There is always a approach that in the trade equals half the price, we still buy the materials, and the staff, and allocate the space.

Thanks for that Clareguy, constructive and helpful.

Everything cost money, EVERYTHING.

Business is there to provide jobs and dare I say it, make a profit, regardless of what the business is,

To answer you indirectly, the vehicle is being checked over by someont aht is either fully trained, unlikely as they are working on more complex problems, or someone that is training.
    They have a wage,
    Along with the man that gives them the bulbs and wipers, the parts man
    Along with the service advisor that has scheduled the work,
    Along with everyone else in the business

Then the costs, rent, or mortgage,
    Light, Heat, Waste disposal, Ramps, Tools,

The list goes on and on and on,

Your point is not valid or even remotely well put together,

blah, blah, blah... SHILL

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Any moderators around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

would you really want to buy a car from a garage who appraises their incoming cars like this?

its something for all people to think about. if they didnt bother looking over your car, what about the used car you are buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Every time in the past when I've been on a dealers forecourt looking to exchange my s/h car for a newer s/h car nobody ever bothered to even walk around the car.

Out of six cars I've traded in, I'd say I got two close inspections (by a salesguy, not a mechanic), three walk-around "inspections" which told the garage bugger all, and one car traded without even being seen.

• Valet €150
    Profit: 12.5 percent is not alot, based on overheads and running costs of the business as a whole, so €1,000

Discount: I will leave this up to readers to assess, based on what they would offer a dealer, today, for a €8,000 car that has been shown to them in a clean fashion, by someone knowledgable, polite, and courteous:

So thats €8,000 less (€679 reconditioning) less (€1,000 profit) = €6,321

Take the €6,231, remove the discount you as a customer would expect, and look at the figure you end up at that a garage needs to have a car costing them. Would you look for €800? Of course you would,

€5,431 is now where the car sits,

Now look at your car you are trading in:

Is it due a service? Maybe €250 depending on make model and what is needed
    How good are the tires? €100 supplied and fitted for a decent tire on an average car
    Dents/Scrapes? this is a minefield, anything from €70 to thousands
    Mileage, where does it sit with similar cars in its class

So best case scenario you're car just needs a standard service no tires, €200

€5,231 is where we are at now, and that is presuming the rest of the car has no bumps, scrapes, trim missing inside, broken wing mirror casings etc etc etc,

After doing all this, look at your car, objectively and see what else about it as a proospective buyer you're eye or ear would be drawn to? Squeek over speed umps, door that does not quiete close right etc etc,

Then bear in mind the following:
    How many owners has your car had relative to the norm for its year?
    Was it previously crashed and repaired before you purchased it?
    Is it a car previously licenced in another country? If so has it a full and verifiable service history?

I threw this up to maybe hopefully shed some light on where trade in figures come from,

Mods or anyone else please feel free to tidy it up.

It's funny how a thread appears with an article about how much pressure the car-dealers are under at the moment and shortly afterwards another thread appears showing punters how little money the poor car dealers actually make on cars!...

Is there a charidee for car dealers i can donate to?

• Advertisement

I put up a post to try and help people get a realistic appreciation of the costs involved in cars and where a trade in figure comes from. I hopefully helped a few people out in understanding it a bit better,

Thanks for your helpful and intelligent posts,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

ClareGuy is an idiot. Gabgab, it's interesting to get the view from the other side, well done.

I put up a post to try and help people get a realistic appreciation of the costs involved in cars and where a trade in figure comes from. I hopefully helped a few people out in understanding it a bit better,

Thanks for your helpful and intelligent posts,

yeah man thanks for that helpful info. now get back into the showroom and start selling some cars!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Táck wrote: »
    would you really want to buy a car from a garage who appraises their incoming cars like this?

In each case where the sales guy didn't give a rats, I was buying a new car.

yeah man thanks for that helpful info. now get back into the showroom and start selling some cars!!

Yes boss, thank you sir for letting me OUT of the showroom to use the internet computer that is beside the money tree........

You're a clever one are'nt you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

You'd get similar responses if it was an estate agent. Car salesmen are viewed with the same distain. Everyone has had an experience of the salesman running down your car saying theres no market for your vehicle at the moment, no calling you back etc etc. Now that times are tough for them people are having their pound of leash....rightly or wrongly

ClareGuy is an idiot. Gabgab, it's interesting to get the view from the other side, well done.

Why thank you Stevie D :rolleyes:

Zube wrote: »
    In each case where the sales guy didn't give a rats, I was buying a new car.

Still should though, any defects will have an affect on the trade price he gets on the car from whoever is buying it off him,

Yes boss, thank you sir for letting me OUT of the showroom to use the internet computer that is beside the money tree........

You're a clever one are'nt you

only an hour and twenty minutes for lunch? times are tough...?

• Advertisement

Are you in Mensa?? seriously....... I mean you're bright as a button,

I have a day off,

Please do not reply unless you have something constructive to add,

Advertisement