Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Already had 1yr working holiday visa, now want to go back.

Options
  • 13-08-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Myself and my girlfriend are looking to go and work in Oz in the coming months. I am working in the property game here and have a degree in that line of work. I have never been in Oz before.

My GF has been down there before on a 1 year working holiday visa and she stayed for the full year. She is working as cabin crew here in Ireland and has no qualification.

We are going down for a 3 week holiday in November to check out the situation, but I was wondering will she be able to get a visa to work in Oz, having already been there before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

mfield wrote: »
    but I was wondering will she be able to get a visa to work in Oz, having already been there before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

No ... unless you got a skilled migrant visa (can take up to 9 months and a points system) or sponsorship and she was added as a defacto (you must prove she is a long term gf ..

so in essence no, unless you go for a longer term visa. Which might not be suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

hussey wrote: »
    No ... unless you got a skilled migrant visa (can take up to 9 months and a points system) or sponsorship and she was added as a defacto (you must prove she is a long term gf ..

so in essence no, unless you go for a longer term visa. Which might not be suitable

Many thanks for the speedy reply hussey! This could be a tough'n to get sorted.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you go about proving that she is a long term gf?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Many thanks for the speedy reply hussey! This could be a tough'n to get sorted.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you go about proving that she is a long term gf?

pictures, flight tickets maybe get her mammy to write a note ;)

ntlbell wrote: »
    pictures, flight tickets maybe get her mammy to write a note ;)

LOL - if only it was that simple! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Sorry mfield

Once you use your OYW visa that’s it. They only other way of doing it is through

Employer Sponsored Workers
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/index.htm

or

Professionals and other Skilled Migrants
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/index.htm

Allot of info at http://www.immi.gov.au/ as well

Another good place to check out is

http://www.downunderexpo.com

One other thing you may be able to do is. You apply and get your one year work visa and your girlfriend tries for a 6 months holiday visa. She will have to proof that she can support her self for 6 months and can’t work during this.

Once upon a time you could go on a 3 month holiday visa. Fly to NZ and get another 3 month visa do that a few times but the Aussie Gov have clamped down on that. Now you can’t fly to NZ without having enough time left on your visa .

Talking about NZ the both of you can get a year visa for there . Might be worth thinking about

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

De facto visa - you'll need to "prove" your relationship - so evidence of cohabitation is good e.g. joint rental contracts, as are joint bank accounts, photographs throughout your relationship, other people's christmas cards sent to both of you, evidence of holidays and trips booked together, and you'll both have to write the "history of your relationship".

Then you'll need all of your personal ID - e.g. notarised copies of your birth cert, passport, and the visa that's taking you to Oz, and then all of her personal ID - notarised copies of birth cert and original passport so they can put her visa in it.

You'll also need statutory declarations and signed forms from people in your life to say that you are indeed a couple - they'll have to describe your relationship. For me, these were the hardest part because you're relying on other people to fill forms out for you, and people HATE doing that.

You'll also need a police reference that says you've never been convicted of a crime in your country of residence - I needed two of those, one for Ireland and one for England (pain in the butt that was).

Finally your missus will need a health check to go with her visa application.

If you're together less than five years and have no children, your missus will qualify for a temporary spouse visa. It's an odd visa, in that it doesn't have an expiry date - it's just valid until her application for a permanent spouse visa, which the visa office will initiate after two years of her holding the temp one, is either granted or denied.

The visa offices in different areas have different processing times for spouse visas. I left mine in to London on a Tuesday morning at 9am, and they rang me at lunch time on Wednesday to say the visa was granted. Saying that, I had my application, which was phonebook-thick with all of the above requirements, laid out with dividers in a "visa application for idiots" fashion, and I think they appreciated that.

The spouse visa is a convoluted process. The working visa is more black and white. Yes, you'll have to hold the spouse visa application until the working visa is through, but trust me, start to collate the spouse visa data at the same time because it takes AGES to get it all together. Sorting photographs, finding bank statements, getting your police check stuff, getting forms signed by your friends - takes bloody months.

Your best position will be that you're ready to submit the spouse visa the day you get your working visa, because it could come back very quickly. You certainly don't want to be starting to collate information for the spouse visa after your work visa comes through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

De facto visa - you'll need to "prove" your relationship - so evidence of cohabitation is good e.g. joint rental contracts, as are joint bank accounts, photographs throughout your relationship, other people's christmas cards sent to both of you, evidence of holidays and trips booked together, and you'll both have to write the "history of your relationship".

Oh the pain this was

However to the OP before you needany of this assess your pionts and see does your degree qualify. best of luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

find out where she worked in Australia, how long ago was she here, did she build up a decent relationship with any of her employers, were any of those in remote/rural locations?

if so she may be entitled to a second year through the 3 month rural work scheme,

if she's cabin crew she could always work for tiger airlines, Based in Singapore but flying round Australia regularly, might work but I know feck all about the logistic side of that

Lads, many thanks for all the info! Really appreciate it! There's a lot for me to chew on there! I'll keep you all updated on how things are going!
    Zambia232 wrote: »
    However to the OP before you needany of this assess your pionts and see does your degree qualify. best of luck

Where do I go to assess my points? I have a degree in Property Studies, and I checked the Skilled Occupation List and Estate Agent or Surveyor is listed on that, so I'm sure that will suffice.

Lads, many thanks for all the info! Really appreciate it! There's a lot for me to chew on there! I'll keep you all updated on how things are going!

Where do I go to assess my points? I have a degree in Property Studies, and I checked the Skilled Occupation List and Estate Agent or Surveyor is listed on that, so I'm sure that will suffice.

Hmm could not say but the earlier sites should be able to tell you the assessing body, my advice is use a agent for the skills assessment.

• Advertisement

One other thing lads, my girlfriend has an Uncle and cousins who are all citizens and live in Melborune, could they be of any help in the process?

Normally it's For people to join their brothers, sisters or parents who are their only near relatives and are usually resident in Australia.

see

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/other-inside.htm

Not sure if Uncle and cousins come into that .

One other thing lads, my girlfriend has an Uncle and cousins who are all citizens and live in Melborune, could they be of any help in the process?

Nope, only close relatives .. also those routes can take up to 9 months to be approved ... you are heading in november ... so she ain't gonna be working

hussey wrote: »
    Nope, only close relatives .. also those routes can take up to 9 months to be approved ... you are heading in november ... so she ain't gonna be working

Were actually going for a holiday in November, but don't plan on going down proper until the new year. So we have time on our side. That route seems a no-go any way.

I have been in contact with Australian Migration and Visa Lawyers anyone used them? I gave them some brief details and have to send in a CV for myself and my GF and they will give me an idea of whether or not we can get in, based on our circumstances. There is no charge for them doing that, if I proceed then they will charge.

So, we'll see what happens!

I have been in contact with Australian Migration and Visa Lawyers anyone used them? I gave them some brief details and have to send in a CV for myself and my GF and they will give me an idea of whether or not we can get in, based on our circumstances. There is no charge for them doing that, if I proceed then they will charge.

So, we'll see what happens!

Is this for Permanent residency now ?

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Is this for Permanent residency now ?

I'm guessing so, no way can it be for WHV,

Been to Australian Migration and Visa Lawyers

Noticed that some of there links The whole “About Us " , "Services" ,"Testimonals" don't work at all . Now I know that’s not a big thing might be my webbroswers but doesn't show a very professional company if they haven’t double, triple checked there site.

Another good visa site I came across is

http://www.visafirst.com/

might be worth a visit

Advertisement