Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick fix for broadband issue?

Options
  • 13-08-2008 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can anyone confirm that downgrading your "upgraded" connection back to what it originally was will decrease latency and disconnects?
    Just read through some of the threads some people reckon it might some reckon it wont.

If there is any other options post them !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yes, downgrading from the 7.6mb package to the 3mb package will fix the high ping issue.

Due to eircoms iffy network, all customers on the eight meg lines have been put on high interleaving so that they can hang on to their connections....but it means double and treble pings.

People on the 3mb packages are on fastpath instead meaning much better pings. From what most people are reporting, if you ring them up eircom can downgrade you in less than 30 minutes.

Something to bare in mind though, is that the 7.6mb lines have a contention ratio of 24:1 where as the 3mb lines have a contention ratio of 48:1. Basically means you are sharing your line with more people. If you live in a built up area, your speeds will suffer in peak times. Mainly 5pm-10pm as people get home from work and school and start using the net. This is a factor so keep it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Hopefully BT can downgrade me that fast ! Will check it when I go home.

I would rather to be able to actually use the internet sometimes rather than not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    Hi

Can anyone confirm that downgrading your "upgraded" connection back to what it originally was will decrease latency and disconnects?
    Just read through some of the threads some people reckon it might some reckon it wont.

If there is any other options post them !

Best thing is to phone them ..
    If you want my opinion it will change back to lower interleaving or fastpath.
    I cant see the 7.6meg option changing tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

im gonna do this myself when i get home. Got moved up to 4meg and pings are a nightmare. Worst thing is none of us agreed to this "free" upgrade which is making a already poor service worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Anti wrote: »
    im gonna do this myself when i get home. Got moved up to 4meg and pings are a nightmare. Worst thing is none of us agreed to this "free" upgrade which is making a already poor service worse.

if u downgrade to 3meg you go back to a 48:1 contention, living in a built up area this can mean big slowdowns in the evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Ok, heres the question then:

I phoned them yesterday, asked them to knock me back down to what I was on before (the 3-4 meg connection). Great, 20 mins later I had my usual web surfing back at normal speed.

But my connection issues with gaming still remain. Disconnects, poor pings, etc. As of 3 weeks ago, my setup was flawless. I never had disconnects or any of these issues.

Why am I now experiencing latency issues when I asked to be put back to what I was on 3 weeks ago? What fundamental change have they engineered?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    if u downgrade to 3meg you go back to a 48:1 contention, living in a built up area this can mean big slowdowns in the evening

But this wasn't always so. I live in Swords, had the 3 meg line until the upgrade, and never experienced slow downs in the evenings. Since I was upgraded (and then downgraded, at my request) I now experience these slowdowns/latency issues.

Why?

Sonderval wrote: »
    But this wasn't always so. I live in Swords, had the 3 meg line until the upgrade, and never experienced slow downs in the evenings. Since I was upgraded (and then downgraded, at my request) I now experience these slowdowns/latency issues.

Why?

The old 3mbit package, (now 7.6mbit) had a 24:1 contention as its the top residential package. The 1 and 2mbit (now 3mbit) packages have a contention ratio of 48:1. Only the top residential package has 24:1 contention (ie, the old 3mbit, now upgraded to 7.6mbit).

The old 3mbit package, (now 7.6mbit) had a 24:1 contention as its the top residential package. The new 2mbit (now 3mbit) has a contention ratio of 48:1. Only the top residential package has 24:1 contention (ie, the old 3mbit, now upgraded to 7.6mbit).

Ok cool, but then why was I getting such shocking bad latency with the 7.6 mbit connection? I presume this is where interleaving rears its head?

From what your saying, it is now impossible for me to get my 3mbit connection with the 24:1 contention ratio back?

If so, thats an absolute shocking cock up on eircoms part. With zero notification, they have reduced my broadband to an unreliable mess, with no fall back for customers.

Welcome to the mess :D

Yes its impossible to get your old package back, 3mbit now has 48:1 contention as its no longer the top package

I'm in the same boat but reluctant to drop to the 48:1 contention

• Advertisement

Well, I did. The problems persist.

This is a colossal cock-up.

Surely some engineer at eircom was aware that maybe, just maybe, people have latency dependant applications and that this upgrade for people from the 3mb package to the 7.6 may jeopardise their functions?

Everything used to work just fine until this bloody 'upgrade'

some people are reporting their latency back to normal... strange !

Phoned BT. Will take 3 working days to downgrade !

Asked the tech support guy could he do it he said no. Transfered me to customer care.

Will see how this goes !

Advertisement