Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Purchasing first Rifle

Options
  • 13-08-2008 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi All, I apologise if this may have been posted already, please refrain from burning me.

I have 3 letters signed by farmers in westmeath with authority to hunt on there land, i am currently looking to purchase .22 reifle for hunting rabbit fox etc. i have around €500 for a 2nd hand rifle. so i can get a serial number to obtain my license? and start hunting

Looking for answers on the following

1. ideas or location where i might be able to view and purchase a .22 rifle
    2nd hand preffered

2. what ammo would be suitable for fox and rabbit for clean kill

3. what would be the best time of year to hunt both species and generally what would i need to look for to confirm rabbits in the immediate area. other then ****e. :)

4. Which shop is best for viewing rifles and advice, off on hols so will be going sometime in september (late)

5. generally any help and advice for someone new to hunting and contacts who may be able to offer help and advice.

I thank any one in advance who maybe able to help..

Kindest Regards
    Jon oliver:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'll leave it to the hunters to give the advice on the rifle, but I would say that the first bit of advice would be to join your local club!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

you don't say where you live so I am assuming westmeath.

First question:

Try Lakelands, Scully in Athlone or Ballykeeran sports. if you pick up a copy of Irish Shooters Digest it may help. Aim and swing in Mountnugent has a good selection

22 lr for foxes is not the way to go however I have shot them with velocitors and stingers at 80 yrds, with proper shot placement.
    I shoot a 22 wmr remington 597 (which I am trading in as I am stepping up) and this I found capable of dropping foxes at 100-110 yards again with proper shot placement.

Hunting rabbits by lamp at night but I go out early morning or late evening

in relation to question 5, you can ask on Boards and there are magazines on the shelf

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

Try james McBride in Ballykeeren Sports, Bullitt Road, Ballykeeran ( just outside Athlone) he usually has quite a good selection of rifles in stock and lots of .22 vaiants. Remember you will need a scope for that rifle so save some of your rededies for that... I think he only opens in the evening after 7pm so give him a ring first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

If you want a .22lr for that kind of money you can get a new CZ. You can get an idea of cost for this link http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_25&zenid=9b2620d260d8deff3b979d90ee5312fe

To find a gun dealer in your area try these links http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Gun_Dealers and http://www.goldenpages.ie/search/guns.html

Best thing to do is give the dealers a ring and see what they have in stock. If they have something in your price range drop in and have a look at it.

When I go after rabbit I use .22lr CCI subs and find they work well. They cost about €12 for 100 rounds.

I don't hunt fox myself but most people will say that .22lr is a bit too light for fox. You could have a look at .22WMR or .17HMR these would be a better round for fox and would give you increased range for the rabbits, but the ammo will cost a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

Is that 500 euro just for rifle or total inc scope? I'd say if you want to spend 500 on a rifle alone you'd get a nice CZ but I'd be more inclined to go with 17hmr rather than .22 for a number of reasons.... mostly accuracy, range and saftey (no ricochet). If you want a decent scope without breaking the bank look at a Muller APV...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 jonoliver28

dsaint1 wrote: »
    Is that 500 euro just for rifle or total inc scope? I'd say if you want to spend 500 on a rifle alone you'd get a nice CZ but I'd be more inclined to go with 17hmr rather than .22 for a number of reasons.... mostly accuracy, range and saftey (no ricochet). If you want a decent scope without breaking the bank look at a Muller APV...

Hi lads, thanks for the support so far, in relation to cost, i am looking pref for a rifle that will drop a fox or rabbits for 100yards or over, i would prefer a 2nd hand rifle to get me going, would be happy to spend €650 if includes scope. again i am new and looking to pruchase the rifle aand apply for the license during the end of september, does anyone know if you can purchase the rifle and they will hold it until the license is issued, but if they refuse for whatever grounds, will the shop refund the monies, not sure how this works really, i am located in south west dublin.

again this is all new to me and advice would be great, if anyone can give me a step for step guide on how to get started, again i have 3 letters of consent to hunt on farm land, but only purchasing rifle end of next month, if anyone has pictures of a 22 rifle that gives me an idea what i am looking for, i did shoot this wepaon before in training with the TA and also Assualt Rifles, so i can shoot, just need the best advice possible so that i can prepare myself and get everything ready for when i go out.

Many Thanks Lads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

The purchase procedure you describe is actually the way it happens. You buy, you get a purchase invoice, then the dealer holds the rifle until you get the licence. In the event you don't get a licence, they should refund you. Make sure that this is clear when you buy, just in case, but with a .22 there should be no problem.

I'd advise you to stick to a .22 for the first rifle. Easier to sell again later and ammo is dirt cheap. Check the firearms manufacturers websites for a look at the rifle eg: CZ, Remington. Most people would agree that the CZ is probably the best buy. Make it simple for your first one and avoid semis, strange variants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

John Lambert in camolin has a brand new marlin .17hmr, with synthetic stock and mod and scope for around the 600 mark.

Advertisement