Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Tramore......

Options
  • 13-08-2008 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

My wife and I are considering moving to Tramore. We have looked at sevral different areas. However, we are a little concerned, after talking to some locals, of possible anti social behaviour in parts of the town. Is there anywhere in particular we should avoid? Also, we have two children in their mid teens and a 9 year old. Are there adequate facilities for children in Tramore (excluding the arcades and park!) and if not, what is missing?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

There are a varity of clubs in the town from the GAA to soccer to snooker and martial arts, scouts, Order of Malta. Schools are good and so will make friends easy. Anti Social Behaviour is not bad at all compared with some places in the country the majority of the housing estates in the upper part of the town would be a good place to move to

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tramore is a lovely town to live in. It does have its anti social behaviour but thats mostly down by the arcades / amusment park.

If someone suggests where not to live, that person usually gets an earful from someone living there / related to someone living there so I think its best to just base on the amount of recommendations for areas you get.

Some nice places to live are out the newtown direction (some nice estates built their in recent times) or around the ring road (like Tramore Heights, Roselawn, Highfield, Westbrook and others). Its quiet and peacefull. Iv not heard of any problems up in that direction or in any estate. Iv a fair idea of what groups hang around up in those direction and while iv seen them stopped by Gardai on a few occasions, iv rarley seen any trouble from them. The Spar area and Church Car park can be intemdiating due to the large crowd that hangs around there but iv never seen them cause any trouble.

There is Laserblast which is good fun, Snooker Hall located near it (all the others are located in Pubs), Surf Club (Oceanics and Tbay probably do water sports in the winter), Soccer Pitch, Martial Arts, and of course the GAA.

The scouts might be a bit old for your children and might not be something there that interested in. I could be wrong, but I think the Order of Malta are looking more at training people in that will go on calls etc. rather then people who want to just learn first aid (which is done in Tramore, I just cant recall the name of the group that does it). If you are not aware, the Order of Malta is like a regular Ambulance service that covers the Tramore area only - you have to call them directly, you rarley get them via 999/112 due to them not being part of the HSE. If I ever needed an Ambulance in the Tramore area - id call them before the HSE as they will get to you much quicker.

Schools are great - they organise after school activites usually. You can do Hurling, Basketball, Soccer and sometimes even Rugby. Both in primary and secondary.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Being a member of the order of malta we are always looking for Cadets 13-16\17yrs to join not just people to crew the ambulance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Tramore is a lovely town (except the amusements during the summer months!). Your best bet for neutral advice is to ring the Gardai in tramore and tell them which estates you are interested in and they will tell you if there is any trouble in the area.

As Sully pointed out there are a lot of activities in the area for young and old.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

shanemul wrote: »
    Being a member of the order of malta we are always looking for Cadets 13-16\17yrs to join not just people to crew the ambulance

My bad - I wasn't 100% sure. I was considering going down for the experience but was advised that there looking for crew and to go with another group for the training. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Laurs_civic

stay uptown ie up the hills away from the amusement park, in the estates by the new road and all that are good areas and away from the summer troubles and the pubs and nightclubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hans239

Thanks Guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newtown Hill FTW ;) (what do they call that road these days?)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i,m takin a particular offence to the move to the upper part of town bull!!! there,s nothing wrong with living in the riverstown area of tramore it may have had its trouble few years back but it better place to live than most other parts of tramore!!!!!

i,m takin a particular offence to the move to the upper part of town bull!!! there,s nothing wrong with living in the riverstown area of tramore it may have had its trouble few years back but it better place to live than most other parts of tramore!!!!!

Nobody said anything about Riverstown..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 garrser

Speaking of Riverstown - Klub Muzik down there should also get a mention. They provide music lessons to kids of all ages on a huge range of different instruments. An excellent facility for children IMO...

garrser wrote: »
    Speaking of Riverstown - Klub Muzik down there should also get a mention. They provide music lessons to kids of all ages on a huge range of different instruments. An excellent facility for children IMO...

Completely slipped my mind. Yup, tis a great facility to have and seems to be doing well. If there into music, great place to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Totally agree with this post, I too felt it was implied in previous posts to stay away from there

I feel that in years to come, the upper part of the town, in particular along the new ring road, could be an area where anti-social behaviour becomes widespread. This is due to the fact that in my opinion along the length of this road there is nothing other than houses. Many of these are currently occupied by young couples with small children. As these children become teenagers they will have little to do other than congregate in large groups in housing estates. The sheer concentration of houses could be the cause of a problem. There are already large groups of teenagers seen hanging around this area. While these appear to be causing little trouble, if there numbers increased as I predict due to the numbers of young families living in this area, the problem could become much worse. I think it needs to be asked what facilities could we put in this area to keep the children off the streets at night, or even during the day?

At present there isn't even a football pitch there, I doubt they are supposed to be in teh school after school hours (there is a very nice one in Riverstown)

What original post? Mine? I just think the top of the town is nicer and quieter. A lot of people seem to agree. I have family and good friends living down the town centre. I did not specify any particular estate that I did not like (nor did anyone else). The reason people said to avoid down town is because it suffers more from anti social behaviour then anywhere else.

And as for the top of the town.. you make a good point but its never been a problem before. Elm Park, Tramore Heights, Roselawn, Highfield, Newtown etc. have been populated for many years with young people and have their "gangs" but nothing compared to what happens in the town centre (mainly in the summer). Most of the activities are surrounding the town center also. The above estates usually locate around the school/green outside the school.

Riverstown is a grand estate to live in, and is probably one of the quietest ones down there. Its a close knight community. The football park I assume is the one located beside Somerville which wouldn't be riverstown btw :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

i don't think there's really any areas of the town with bad anti-social behaviour problems any more.

i don't think there's really any areas of the town with bad anti-social behaviour problems any more.

Ah now, lets be fair. Certain parts of pretty much every town in Ireland suffers more anti social behaviour then any other part.

And for the record, I don't think Riverstown does suffer from any. It used to, but not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The only part I could see anti social behaviour was around the amusement park and that part of the town, there isn't really any housing estates there other than holiday homes

The only part I could see anti social behaviour was around the amusement park and that part of the town, there isn't really any housing estates there other than holiday homes

That and the town center suffers more then anywhere in Tramore from that kinda crap (tho more so the amusment park, even when its closed). There are other houses around there and some estates also. :)

Advertisement