Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants for high point students

Options
  • 13-08-2008 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Not trying to be cocky here, its just the poor man inside me speaks out.

Just wondering what the story with people who get quite high points (560+) in the leaving cert is? DO they get monetary grants inside collage?? Im going to an I.T., would this be the same??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Different places have different scholarship type things. Like Maynooth is €1000 for everyone above 500 pts and Trinity is a €250 book voucher for everyone above 545.

If the place you're going to does anything like this it will probably be in its prospectus.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

mm I think in UCD you have to get more than 540 to get 1000
    and in maynooth its over 500 for a grant as well.. dont know if you have to apply for it though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

for the I.T it's a tin of USA biscuits......but you need 580 for this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

pathway33 wrote: »

I.M.O an I.T would be more likely to give grants. For fear that all the high point earners would go to the universities. (mayhaps this is just a view due to my ignorance, but teh I.Ts do seem less popular, and more inclined to solicitation)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

pathway33 wrote: »

LOL. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

For UCC the minimum points required is 570 - I got 570 last year but didn't get a scholarship. Another guy doing the same course as me got 570 too, and he did get it :( You don't apply for it, it's random/automatic selection.

Which IT are you going to? Check their website, if there's a scholarship or a grant for high points achievers, it will probably be there somewhere.

EDIT: If you're from a "disadvantaged" area, or if you went to a school that typically underachieves, you might get offered a Govt. scholarship! I was lucky enough to get one, and it's worth over 6,000 a year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

Ah balls!! When did this grant malarky for high results come about?? I got 575 in my day (1999) and didn't see a red cent in NUIG :(

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Yuugib wrote: »
    mm I think in UCD you have to get more than 540 to get 1000
    and in maynooth its over 500 for a grant as well.. dont know if you have to apply for it though..

No you don't have to apply for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

In NUIG there are grants on offer for students who get 560+ and want to do Law,Arts, Commerce, Science basically anything apart from med.

Medicine students are awarded grants if the get 590
    Apply quickly to be sure of getting it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

I got a couple of hundred worth of book vouchers from UL for high points a few years back. I'm sure they're still giving them out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement