Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars you dislike because of the people who drive them

Options
  • 13-08-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Or perhaps more correctly, cars you dislike because of the way they are driven.

Bearing in mind there is no such thing as a bad car nowadays, why is it that there are some cars that you would never even consider owning? For me its that there are certain cars that I associate with certain types of drivers, or driving styles, and as a result have over time, almost subconsciously, developed a strong antipathy towards them - even if there is nothing wrong with the car itself. Here are my top five (in reverse order) cars I would never buy because of their owners.

5. Mitsubishi Pajero (circa 1995 with trailer attached)
    If you ever have the misfortune to come across a nineties Mitsubishi Pajero with a trailer behind it, be careful, be very careful indeed! It is in all probability being driven by a farmer who should have retired three decades ago but sure what would he be doing with his time without having a few cattle to look after! Nothing happens quickly with Mitsubishi Pajeros, but particular situations to watch out for are if you spot one coming out of a side road in front of you...it will certainly keep coming. Beware too when following one of a gradual drifting out to the other side of the road as the driver prepares for his turn off two miles further up the road.

Other cars that fall into this category: The Pajero seems to occupy a unique niche in this segment, but the old Isuzu Trooper has its moments.

Cars that should perhaps be in this category but surprisingly aren't: Toyota Land Cruiser.

4. Toyota Prius
    In true Japanese style, there was a mistake when it came to naming the Toyota Prius - it really should have been called the Pious. At least that's how its drivers come across - smug, self-righteous gits who mistakenly believe that they are saving the planet. The reality of course is that unless you do all your driving in the city, the Pious spends nearly all its time running on its petrol engine, it is like a Flymo to drive, and if you include its full life cycle costs, a Hummer is more green. But they will not be deterred, these Pious drivers on a mission to save us all.....

Other cars that fall into this category: The Pious is uniquely....pious
    Cars in danger of falling into this category: The Honda Civic Hybrid - but at least its not too bad to drive.

3. Opel Zafira
    Beloved of mums the length and breadth of the country, the Opel Zafira absolves its drivers of complying with all normal motoring requirements - thanks to that magic brood of offspring in the back! Characterised by random driving behaviour, the Zafira is likely at any point to swerve across the road as the driver turns around to admire or chastise her darlings. Indicators tend to work the opposite way to most cars, a left indicator often preceding a lurch to the right. Speeds can vary from static to Lewis Hamilton levels of cornering, with those poor kids not securely fastened floating around like Neil Armstrong.

Other cars that fall into this category: Any Renault MPV
    Cars in danger of falling into this category: Chrysler Voyager
    Cars that should perhaps be in this category but surprisingly aren't: Ford S-Max, Citroen C4 Picasso, Mazda 5

2. Honda Civic (excepting current model.....for now)
    The Honda Civic uniquely manages to score on the dislike stakes on two levels. Newer models tend to be driven by those of a certain age who bemoan the passing of the blue rinse fashion. They typically are fitted with a speed restrictor limiting to a max speed of around 30 km/h and will often come with after-market accessories such as scratched wing mirrors and dented body panels.

At some stage in its life though, the Honda Civic undergoes a mid-life crisis, throws away the speed restrictor along with the blue rinse, and re-emerges sporting extreme new body modifications and an exhaust pipe borrowed from the local sewage scheme. The Civic in this incarnation is easily identified by a lack of a seat for the driver meaning all you see is the top of a baseball cap as he struggles valiantly to see over the dash. Can be typically found circling the local town centre ad nauseam, or wrapped around a nearby telegraph pole.

Other cars that fall into this category: Glanzas, rear wheel drive Corollas, Subaru Imprezas
    Cars in danger of falling into this category: The new Civic certainly has potential in the future
    Cars that should perhaps be in this category but surprisingly aren't: Older VW Golf GTIs, Peugeot 205 / 206 GTIs.

1. Toyota Corolla saloon
    The next time you are driving across country and you come up behind a gaggle of cars, have a look at the car in front. True to its maker's claim, it almost certainly will be a Toyota Corolla, most likely in saloon form. Beloved of salt of the earth country folk, the Corolla saloon is deceptive in that it appears to have mirrors, but this is only an illusion as no Corolla driver in history has ever been known to pull over and let other cars by. It comes with some unique features such as a radar sensing device that keeps it as close as possible to the white line in the middle of the road to make it as difficult as possible to overtake. Another oft-fitted piece of equipment is a special cruise control that enables it to proceed at the same 70 km/h whether on a motorway or in a built up urban area.

Other cars that fall into this category: Nissan Almera saloon, Toyota Avensis
    Cars in danger of falling into this category: Skoda Octavia
    Cars that perhaps should be in this category but surprisingly aren't: Ford Focus saloon, Opel Astra saloon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ooh, we had a similar thread on another forum I'm on. These were mine:

If I'm driving along and come up behind any of the following I think:

"Executive" Merc - going to be a slow-ass middle aged man, more than likely on the phone

Boy racer-mobile - Civic/Colt/Altezza, etc. - will crawl around the bendy bits then take off on a straight, and think this makes him a fantastic driver

VW Passat - this is going to be a diesel, will have a tow-bar and will refuse to drive at anything above 80kmh

Yaris, Micra or Corsa - worst of all. Will be a middle-aged woman sitting on top of the steering wheel, who will brake on every single bend and whenever something passes her in the other direction, even though she's only doing 60kmh. Will also flash you when you overtake, even though she's doing 40 below the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

BMW 3-Series: **** who think they own the road.
    Mercedes A-Class: Buy a proper Mercedes, will you.
    Honda Civic: Enough said.
    BMW X5 / X5: See above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Renault Megane drivers never check their rear lights, even though the indicators and brake lights are both wired to the reversing lamp.

Mercedes E Class drivers believe they can create an overtaking lane by driving down the white line at oncoming traffic.

Mini drivers think the rear view mirror is for checking your make up.

Also, the BMW MINI: 9 times out of 10, it will be an 18yr. old D4 girl behind the wheel, probably doing her makeup or on the phone, and chances are that daddy paid for it aswell.

In contrast, the classic BL Mini is a proper down to earth car IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

The Golf GT is fast becoming the car I dislike most on the road.

I don't know if it's the smug looks on the drivers faces, it's not, smug "look I've got my own car", but , smug "look, I'm driving a baby super car smug" (90% of them are 122 Bhp I presume)

or the fact that they seem to be driven by rich kids and tear around the place with all of their mates crammed inside at the same time cruizin' for birds

can't really disagree with the OP's list either

• Advertisement

Victor_M wrote: »
    The Golf GT is fast becoming the car I dislike most on the road.

...or the fact that they seem to be driven by rich kids

Like a certain member on this forum... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Entertaining post, Panda Moanium :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

For me it's the Volvo crowd, in particular drivers of Volvo estates. Thankfully, since the advent of the 4x4/SUV-age these drivers have been dispersed across a number of marques and models. They are still there but not as obvious to the eye. :)

Peugot 106 GTI. I'm sure it's a great car but the guys that own them must feel very inferior or that they have a point to prove because they will stop at nothing to show they can overtake the BMW M3 in front of them. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Golf GTTDIDGTIDTIDDDTTIIIEYE or whatever, with various letters coloured in red are one of my pet hates, simply because of the type of driver. Myself and my mates had a particularly good laugh at one in Sligo with "Chipped TDI - Why Try?" on the reg. What a ninkenpoop.
    As above, Golf GT drivers are beginning to bring the value of that car down too. I wonder will these be the Glanza's in another 10 years?
    But above all else for me is the friggin Micra. They're horrible to look at, and they're ALWAYS at the front of a 6 mile long train of traffic doing 25 - 30mph. I have yet to see a competent Micra driver.

There are others too, including many 4x4's, a few Beemers, with 18 as the suffix to the first number, and in some cases, M3's. Reflective sunglasses and bluetooth handsfree ear pieces frequently litter the owners heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Lol, Great post OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

5. Mitsubishi Pajero (circa 1995 with trailer attached)

Count yourself lucky ...around these parts it's an early 90's/ late 80's 1.6TD Jetta or 1.3 Corolla that pulls the two prize bulls in a trailer without lights, number plates or brakes and on four semi-flat tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

BMW's. Don't get me started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

boards motors threads plumbing new lows...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fiat Puntos - they always seem to be badly driven and parked poorly.

VH wrote: »
    boards motors threads plumbing new lows...

I quite like these threads, better than the usual rubbish around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

peasant wrote: »
    Count yourself lucky ...around these parts it's an early 90's/ late 80's 1.6TD Jetta or 1.3 Corolla that pulls the two prize bulls in a trailer without lights, number plates or brakes and on four semi-flat tyres.

It's combine harvesters & quarry trucks for me. Drivers of which would rather lick their own engine block clean than pull in and let anyone pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I quite like these threads, better than the usual rubbish around here.
    no - this is the usual rubbish - nothing to do with cars - just a bitch/rant session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

peasant wrote: »

And the whole thing will be covered in ****e, the farmer will be wearing wellies and have a shotgun down the side of the seats.

Yummy mummy in any sort of a SUV seem to act like total langballs on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

anyone who drives anything I am jealous of :rolleyes:

this post is a new low for boards imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Imperator

Great Post Panda

It has to be e46 BMW 318SE. I know its really unfair but the guys in these cars really piss me off. So fricking many of them thinking they are going around in 330 sports or M3. IT's cheap 4 cylindar crap.
    That and that stupid mazda rx8. What a poor mans midlife crisis if ever i saw one. Buy a real sports car lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Volkswagen Toureg - or as it should be know - Volkswagen Toerag.
    It's hard to find a more ignorant driver than one sitting in a Toureg. You're lucky if they stay on their side on the road on a narrow road, aggressive and bullying driving. Undertaking, pulling out in front of you .... they seem to be the worst of the SUV posse. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's something about Micras and Almeras that just pisses me off when I see them. Its quite irrational. I know a few Almera drivers and while they're not petrolheads they're pretty good drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

Biro wrote: »
    Golf GTTDIDGTIDTIDDDTTIIIEYE or whatever, with various letters coloured in red are one of my pet hates, simply because of the type of driver. Myself and my mates had a particularly good laugh at one in Sligo with "Chipped TDI - Why Try?" on the reg. What a ninkenpoop.
    As above, Golf GT drivers are beginning to bring the value of that car down too. I wonder will these be the Glanza's in another 10 years?.

JayTaeTaeDayAYEY

hahaah +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Recently I have come to despise Transit Vans, it is usually between 6.30 to 8am when Mr. X's Plumbing, Carpenter etc. will come along and cut me off or else overtake at like 80MPH in an 80KM zone I myself would be doing 60 or 65MPH in said zone and they still over take. I for one welcome the demise of the entire construction industry. It seems as if they are always in a mental hurry every morning becuase most of them can't wake up in time due to being out the night before.

PS. Leave the SUV's out of it, I think yummy mummys are hot especially the early 30's blondes in €100K+ cars. We must all do our part to increase our carbon emmissions in the hope we might ever get a proper summer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Irish motorhomes on the N56. Drivers of foreign ones are so damn scared of the road they pull over to let people pass all the time. Irish ones just drive down the middle of the road at a speed just slow enough to be annoying and just fast enough to ensure you can never pass them the rare time they wobble back to their lane.

I've only ever seen it this bad on the N56 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

VH wrote: »
    no - this is the usual rubbish - nothing to do with cars - just a bitch/rant session

Hardly.... has my attempt at tongue in cheek humour failed that badly?:eek:

Hardly.... has my attempt at tongue in cheek humour failed that badly?:eek:

I reckon someone pissed in his cornflakes this morning! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Every morning? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Id have to agree with the TDI comments but not just golfs, all variants including passats etc

owners are conviced that they are rockets

also lately golf gti drivers are getting my goat, they have an innate smugness, and think that they are driving a super car :confused:

little hint lads, they really arent that fast ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I absolutely despise anything that is badged incorrectly with the likes of the Comfortline 1.4 Gti Golf, and the 2.7 diesel range rover sports, that also unknown to dealers come with a Supercharger as well. Make it look as much like the car that u want, just don't put a false badge on it.

Great thread OP, interesting read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement