Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My crack at crossfit

Options
  • 13-08-2008 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I've been doing crossfit now for a week. I decided to stick up a log to keep track of my progress. I'm used to doing 5x5 workouts drawn out over an hour and a half so this is an altogether new beast for me.

Height : 6'1''
    Weight : 19st 2lbs
    BF: Around 25-27% < No real idea of that tbh. I've lost about a stone and a
    half since I started excercising and I was 33% body fat then.

Lifts:
    Bench : 100 x 3
    Squat : 105 x 5
    Push Press : 75 x 5
    Sumo Deadlift : 135 x 5 ( Haven't done a straight dead in a while, doing some today so I'll post back later )

Diet is getting much better now, oats and protein for brekkie, snack of chicken/tuna salad/sandwich, main meal consists usually of meat and rice or maybe just meat and a plate of veggies, maybe a smoothie or something after that and then usually some tinned mackarel before bed ( suprisingly I love the stuff :) ) I'll post all entries seperate just to make it easier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

TUESDAY 5TH AUGUST:
    Back Squat 5 x 5 Reps

Worked my way up to ( 105 x 5 ) x 3

Normal day nothing new really

WEDNESDAY 6TH AUGUST

18kg Dumbell Squat Snatch Left & Right Arm ( 21 reps of each )
    42 Rack Ups ( I can't manage a proper pull-up yet so I'm doing rack ups. Once I'm back in Uni I'm planning on getting a band to help me )

18kg Dumbell Squat Snatch Left & Right Arm ( 15 reps of each )
    30 Rack Ups

18kg Dumbell Squat Snatch Left & Right Arm ( 9 reps of each )
    18 Rack ups

15:02

This drained me completly, a heaving ball of sweat on the floor. Great fun though and happy enough with the time. A hate rack-ups I can only imagine the pull-ups

Thursday 7th August

"Karen,"

150 Wall Ball Shots with a 7.5kg ball

6:06

Much harder than I though this would be. I looked at the video of the excercise and thought " is that it ? " well was I wrong. Again a heaving ball of sweat. It felt weird to be only using a tiny weight but I have to get my head out of doing 5x5 all the time.

I should say that for a warm-up I normally do a bit of walking, some light weights ( shoulder boxes and cuban press ) and a couple of push ups, around 25/30. I'm tryng to do dips but find I get a pain in my right shoulder from doing them. I think I might be going too far down, I try to go parallel but I think I may be going deeper.

Saturday 9th August

Five rounds for time

50kg Hanging Squat Cleans x 5
    15 Rack-ups

Rope climbs were listed instead of pull-ups but since I don't have a rope, pull-ups were suggested as a sub

13:19

Pretty tough. I'd never done the squat clean before and it was harder on my grip than expected. Almost let it drop on the last few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Hey man,

I am doing the opposite, I did crossfit for a while. Now I am doing starting strength, keep up the good work, its good stuff and does make a difference to all round fitness too,

Fair play,

• Advertisement

Sunday 10th August

Run 5K

32:15

Considering I've made a point of not running in the last 2 years ( somehting I'm paying for now ) I've no idea what an okay time is for running this but I'm happy enough with this. Hopefully next time I can get < 30 if I really push myself.

My back has been at me since doing those rack-ups but other than that nothing besides a nice bit of DOMS :rolleyes:

I think I might start doing some jogging as part of my warm-down

Monday August 11th

For time:

10 Sit-ups
    10 Supermen
    30kg Thrusters , 30 Reps
    30 Pull-ups

20 Sit-ups
    20 Supermen
    30kg Thrusters, 20 Reps
    20 Pull-ups

30 Sit ups
    30 Supermen
    30kg Thrusters, 10 Reps
    15 Pull-ups

26:01

Hardest crossfit I've done so far I think, during the warm-up I tried 20 thrusters at 40kg as I'd never done them before but I knew that I should scale them down cause they were awful

gabgab wrote: »
    Hey man,

I am doing the opposite, I did crossfit for a while. Now I am doing starting strength, keep up the good work, its good stuff and does make a difference to all round fitness too,

Fair play,

Ya I read your thread before I started, fair play that's some difference. Nice one for the encouragement

Wednesday 13th August

Crossfit Total

Back squat, 1 rep ( 105kg, form is getting there now though )
    Push Press, 1 rep ( 80kg )
    Deadlift, 1 rep ( 140kg )

Happy with yesterday tbh, no problems

Friday 15th August

Weight 120kg

I had to make up for today and yesterday's WOD so I did

30 Tuck Jumps x 3
    30 Sit-ups x 3
    30 Supermen x 3

Did 50 for the first trio but realised I had to scale down, damn you tuck jumps

13:52

Not too happy with this time, it can only get better ( hopefully )

Next WOD was

30 Pullups
    30 Dips
    20 Pullups
    20 Dips
    15 Pullups
    15 Dips

Approx 10 minutes, I forgot to stop the watch.

All pullup's were really rack ups and dips were done with my legs supported .Can't do dips right just yet, I can get about 5 on parallel bars and then my shoulder kills, these seemed to do the trick though.

Pretty happy with the day though, managed to move the bar on the smith machine up for the rack-ups a bit so at least I'm improving.

• Advertisement

Monday 18th of August

45kg Thrusters ( Reps: 15-12-9 )
    Rack Ups ( Reps: 21-15-12 )
    Bench Dips ( Reps: 21-15-12 )

11:28

Missed a day gotta catch up tmrw

Tuesday 19th August

Deadlift
    7 x 1 Rep

Did 145kg on this form is much better now, I've read a book by Pavel over the weekend and some of his tips really helped.

Did some push-ups and sit ups

5 Minute brisk walk
    then Run for a minute ( 11.5 on machine -> 5.1/km ) then walk for a minute and a half ( 6.5 -> 9.2/km )

Pretty happy with today, roll on tmrw

21st August

Helen
    3 rounds of
    400M Run
    21 20kg KB swings
    15 Pull-ups

22nd August

"Angie,"

Scaled to

80 Pull-ups ( Body rows are the proper name for what I'm doing )
    80 Push Ups
    80 Sit Ups
    80 Squats

19:48

A bit of a toughie

By my count I've done 458 body rows since I started (13 days ago) They've gotten considerably easier thank god. I got 43 uninterrupted today which I was pretty chuffed with, the day I get my first proper pull-up I'm getting drunk as a celebration :D

23rd August

Run 800M
    21 x 40kg standing military press

Run 500M
    21 x 40kg push press

Run 500M
    21 x 40kg Standing Military press

18:42

I was meant to run 800M for each of the runs but it really killed me. I've been working all week but I know that's just excuses.

Last entry for about 5 days, moving back over to Cardiff for college again so no time for these mad workouts.

Gotta work on my running, but I hate it so much~!!!!!

I managed to get a workout in before I go away for the weekend, might get another hopefully.

Front Squats
    With 50KG
    10-10-10-10-10

Then for time

100 Body Rows
    100 Push-ups
    140 Squats

19:42

The squats absolutely killed me. I had to take a break after doing 10 my quads were on fire from the front squats. Happy with the body rows, there getting much easier now I think it's time to put my legs up on a bench or something. Push-ups took it out of me though, I think I'm going to start doing some ones daily

Thursday, 4th September

Deadlift
    3 x 3 @ 135kg

Push Press
    3 x 3 @ 80kg

Back today after taking a few days off, O weight training how I've missed ye.

Got a kettlebell in the post today as well to play around, I'll edit if I get a few swings on the go, I'm sure I can't resist

edit: I've done a load of swings and I've been clean and pressing the thing every time I pass it, great stuff :D

Friday 12th September

Clean and Press @ 65kg
    3 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 3

Deadlift
    100kg , 90kg

Bench
    80kg , 70kg

Pull-ups ( Using gravitron )
    * Assisted by 42kg
    5 - 5 - 5 - 5

Dips
    5 <--- Didn't feel too good on these I strained something while finishing the press so I decided not to do anymore.

I finally got enough money together to join the gym today and to my surprise the had a pull-up/dips assistance machine. I had to use 42kg assistance but I suppose I have to start somewhere.

I've also managed to keep busy using my kettlebell. This is the routine I've done twice now and maybe again today, mainly something to get my HR up and keep it there for 30-40mins.

A1 Squat (with KB ) 3 Sets of 12 Reps
    A2 Pushups 3 sets of 15 reps
    A3 Rest one Minute

B1 KB Row 3 sets of 12 each arm
    B2 Clean and Press 3 sets of 8 reps each arm
    B3 Rest one Minute

C1 Windmill 3 sets of 5 each arm
    C2 Turkish Get Up 3 sets of 5
    C4 Rest one minute

Each letter group is a superset followed by one minute of rest

To finish I normally do something like
    KB swing for 0.5-1 Minute, rest for 1-1.5 Minutes

I've found a new love for turkish get ups, they work all my abdomen better than any sit-ups.

Tuesday September 16th

I've been reading enter the kettlebell and tbh I've got the bug, love the things.

Workout was done using ladders with a 16kg kb. I'd clean the kettlebell and then press over my head with each arm. The laddered progressed from 1 - 3 reps on each hand.

5 x 1,2,3 ladders i.e. 30 reps with each arm, minimum rest taken inbetween sets

I made sure that form was good and paused before the press so as not to use any momentum from the clean.

Next was a snatches time trial. I did snatches with either arm for 6 minutes. Whenever I felt that form was going I switched arms. I did 142 combined but I'm pretty sure I managed to mess the count up towards the end.

All in all pretty happy, going to do good old Crossfit fran tmrw. It'll be nice to get back into the crossfit... ugh

19th September

Deadlift
    105 , 95

Pull-ups
    30 (6x5)

Dips
    30 (6x5)

• Advertisement

20th September

I did 5x(1,2,3,4,5) clean and press ladders with a 16kg kb, moving up to 24 k next week

Also did swings with a 16k for 7 minutes, managed to knock out 150 in 7 odd the last ten were to make it a nice number :D

Still on my kb fix but I'll get back to the crossfit soon, loving these things though

September 23

Ladders of 3x(1,2,3) with a 16kg Kb all c&ps

I tried the 24kg for a clean and a few presses. It was tough but I'm fairly confident I'm going to be able to do it for a 3 ladder on saturday.

Rolled 2 dice and got 9 so I went for a good few snatches in nine minutes. I wasn't going as hard as I could , I took a rest of about a minute , got 120 , both arms combined. Counting got surprisingly hard at about 100 though :D

Did the usual 25 Pull-ups and dips

I'm noticing a nice bit more definition around my upperbody and my legs are starting to get together aswell, pretty chuffed.

It was nice to feel my lower back being stressed aswell during the workout, I'm always afraid that it doesn't get the amount of work it should.

Friday 26th September

Said I'd do one of the painstorm workouts from the lads @ funckey.co.uk. It was:

All lifts to be done with the oly. bar only

400m Run
    40 Back Squats
    40 Front Squats
    20 Overhead squats
    400m Run
    40 Military Press
    40 Push Press
    20 Military Press
    400m Run
    40 Hang-power cleans
    20 Hang-power snatches
    400m Run

Total time 31:28

Pretty happy but I'm feeling pretty wrecked now... not a kettlebell in sight aswell :D

Saturday September 28th

Good workout today I was pretty chuffed. I even managed to get some of the crossfit WOD done

First was Kb ladders with the 24kg (1,2,3) reps with each hand. Pretty tough but I'm happy with how I did.

Then it was:
    Push press
    70 - 75 - 80

Deadlift
    107.75kg
    97.75kg

Pullups and Dips 15 of each

I finished off then with nine minutes of swings with the 16Kb
    My buddy was there so he helped with counting and by his count I manged 235 in 9:05.

Delighted with that tbh. Great day at the office :D

Tuesday 30th September

Deadlifts
    110 , 100 kg
    Felt good, form is much better than when I started. They've become less of a nightmare

Pull-ups and Dips
    15 of each

Ladders of 1 rep 24kg presses with a kb
    Snatches for 2 mins with 24kb ( I rolled the dice and got 2, happy days )

Felt really good today, came out stronger than when I went in. Crossfit tmrw

Wednesday 1st October

5x5 Cleans with the 32kb
    5x1 each arm TGU

Nate workout
    4 Pull-ups
    4 Dips
    5 Push-ups
    8 swings with the 32kg kb

I managed to do 6 rounds in 16mins. My watch broke so I didn't manage the 20mins.. can't say I was too fussed

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Havo

What weight are you now buddie??

I haven't been around a scales so I haven't had the oppertunity. Look better anyway just generally. I'm home on thursday so I'll do it then. TBH I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Hey Damien,

I don't normally pop into the workout logs here but a client of mine sent me a link to your trog, nice work man!

If you need any help/guidance on CrossFit or just want to shoot the breeze feel free to send me a mail: info@crossfit.ie

Keep up the good work,
    Col

• Advertisement

Saturday October 04th

Woke up late so I had to run to the gym to get a quick one in. Only had time for 15 Pull-ups, 10 dips and I managed to get up to 4 on my ladders with the 24kb. Think I might swing my kb at home here today. Crossfit tmrw, like the look of todays WOD.

Thanks for the encouragement colm, I'm sure i'll be asking you a q or 2

Advertisement