Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aaaagh! Irish weather & flying!

Options
  • 13-08-2008 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

I've had my last eight slots in a row over the last few days cancelled. Spent yesterday sitting around the school and roaming around the airport for hours in the hope that the weather would pick up. I havent been up for weeks and I'm back to college in just a few more short weeks. This weather is really doing my head in. :mad: (Great weather for studying though!)

Anyone in a similar position?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

EI-DAV wrote: »

I will be soon enough!:D

I reckon the enthusiasm will deflate after a few cancelled slots though..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EI-DKY

I've logged 3hr on Nav's this week. While the majority of instructors take one look at an occluded front of the west coast and role back over in the bed - some will take it up for a look.
    It was a great feeling landing over a half flooded runway....
    Fingers crossed for another 2 hrs tonight.

Canncelled flights = Instructors
    Bad weather = Ireland

Keep them under pressure to get you up and flying...

Microlight Ireland - NMAI.ie - The only way to fly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Well lets stay optimistic!! I remember october of last year we had quite good weather, I remember because we sowed a lawn at the time :)
    I suppose all you can do is continue booking those slots and hope for the best!
    But I guess one of the greatest disadvantages of learning to fly in ireland is the weather, especially if you use a grass runway. Eg. Today might be a beautiful day but because of the torrential rain yesterday the strip is too soft. :rolleyes: Nuisance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 G-CBHV

After hanging around all weekend at the Birr Fly-in (which turned into the Birr Drive in) im getting a bit tired of it myself,

Im in crete next week so im going to take a trip with an instructor to see the scenery and shake off the cobwebs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

G-CBHV wrote: »
    After hanging around all weekend at the Birr Fly-in (which turned into the Birr Drive in) im getting a bit tired of it myself,

Im in crete next week so im going to take a trip with an instructor to see the scenery and shake off the cobwebs!

Jee I didn't know the Birr fly-in was on last weekend! I was working in Birr all weekend myself, and didn't hear a single aircraft overhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I feel your pain. I've spent endless days looking up at dirty grey skys:(. I've booked an aircraft at least twice a week every week this summer and I've only flown four times! Thank god it's not my second year or I'd be screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Actually there has been a fair bit of flyable weather around as long you don't stray too far or want to climb above 1500 feet. But students are rarely allowed to fly in anything but near perfect conditions. The current almost constant showers is a real nuisance and risky for student pilots.

This weekend looks like a definite washout.

Actually there has been a fair bit of flyable weather around as long you don't stray too far or want to climb above 1500 feet. But students are rarely allowed to fly in anything but near perfect conditions. The current almost constant showers is a real nuisance and risky for student pilots.

This weekend looks like a definite washout.

I was hanging around the other day looking at the limitations for dual and solo flying. I think its 25knots including gusts for solo and 30knots for dual instruction. At least I have my PPL, unlike many trying to prepare for check outs etc. I know of one SPL who has been waiting about 8 weeks now to organise the flight test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I've got an introductory 1 hour flight next week in the NFC, i'm hoping for some good weather myself to make it a positive first experience!! Then i'm hoping to do my PPL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 G-CBHV

Jee I didn't know the Birr fly-in was on last weekend! I was working in Birr all weekend myself, and didn't hear a single aircraft overhead.

Yeah there was only one visitor to the airfield and he came in during the week the Maule, EI-GER . The Island hop was due to take place last weekend too. There was up on 100 aircraft registered for that . 2nd time postponing it this "summer".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

We were gonna head over to Birr from Kilkenny in the Citabria but the 27kt x-wind threw us off a touch.

If any of you are around Waterford on the 30th of this month feel free to pop in to the Aero Club, we're having a BBQ/Fly-in. It's all free of charge, all the meat you can eat. All are welcome !

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

I have had my last 8 flights in a row cancelled and now we have a little thing called Hurrican Fay to keep us busy for the next few days. Oh the joys.

electric69 wrote: »
    I have had my last 8 flights in a row cancelled and now we have a little thing called Hurrican Fay to keep us busy for the next few days. Oh the joys.

I wouldn't be suprised if we get a hurricane some time soon going by what we have experienced so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

The weather here causes a lot of frustration to flyers, but as electric69 points out, the weather in Florida isn't all blue skies and sunshine either. I've spent many days sitting in Ormond Beach airport, waiting for weather to clear. Right now, a girl I know is over there hour-building and hasn't flown for 8 days.

That's interesting about the limits, EI-DAV. In Ormond Beach the rule (very strictly applied) was <12 knots total (even along the runway) and <6 knots cross-wind component. Needless to say this caused some resentment.

Advertisement