Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping sweetcorn once it's opened??

• 13-08-2008 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone here has any ideas on what is the best way to store tinned sweetcorn once it's opened? I like tuna and sweetcorn rolls for my lunch, but even buying the smallest tin of sweetcorn, I would get 3/4 goes out of it. However I'd never eat tuna & sweetcorn 3/4 days in a row.

Normally I put the left over sweetcorn into a plastic container with a lid and put it in fridge where it survives for a couple of days. But I normally finish up throwing out at least half a tin, as it goes off before I use it. So I suppose my question is, is there any other way of storing it and keeping it usable for more than a few days? (I know the tin is sealed etc, but it seems a bit of a waste that it can last in the tin for years, but once I open it, it's gone off in a week)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Sealed bag and freeze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Sealed bag and freeze

Or buy the frozen stuff and use a little as you need each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I never thought about using the frozen stuff. Does it still have the nice crunchiness when defrosted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Im sure it does, I usually heat the frozen stuff, but I find there's no difference between it an the tinned stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Thanks piglet - I must get a packet of that then. That would be ideal as it wouldn't matter how long the packet was open in the freezer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I find that there is a huge difference in taste and texture between frozen and tinned sweetcorn. I think tinned is much nicer, especially in tuna and sweetcorn sandwiches. However if you are going to be throwing away the tinned stuff, then the frozen stuff is fine.

Advertisement