Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much money did you have on 1 year work visa?

Options
  • 13-08-2008 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm going into my final year of college, but once that's over with the plan is to save for a while and then go to Oz for the year at least :)

But I'm a little concerned about the money part of it...

At the moment I have precious little, and will be cutting down on work hours to concentrate on study, so I don't expect to save anything/much during the year.

I'll finish college in late May, so say June I would hopefully start working. We're planning on going in late January (after Christmas and the likes!). That's about 7 months to save...

My best mate, who is one of the others planning on going, already has about €5k saved from sh*t like inheritance and grants, and he's been working a bit too. So I guess it's inevitable that we part company soon enough, which is a good thing tbh because we'll be sick of each other!

Basically I'm just wondering how much ye lot had going over, how far it went, and how long before you had to start working, and so on? :)

Cheers chaps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Well Dave

The first things you need to do is check on the visa app and see what money you need to have proof of in the Bank. To apply for the visa .

The Aussie Gov want to make sure that you have enough money to support yourself on you holiday. They class the working part of the Working Holiday Visa as only there to subsidies your money you already have. It’s a visa to travel and work. Not the other way round.

What you need to do is take a look at where in Oz you intend to go first. What the price of hostels are there. Budget for the hostel, food & entertainment for a few months at least. Until you get on your feet. You then may be lucky enough to get a part time job & maybe get together with a few others and get a unit (Aussie for apartment) this will cut down on coats.

The best thing you could do is get some bar work experience. There are always temp jobs in Bar work. Other wise check the local papers & register with temp agencies. They will get you jobs from sorting out mail to delivering papers.

Do worry too much you’ll be grand. Plenty of us Down Under .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I took e2,000 to NZ which is the minimum required by the visa. I was never asked to prove it though. It's all gone at this stage but I got a job as quick as I wanted and getting by fine on the money I earn.

Just get together as much as you can and when it starts to run out get a job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

they don't check your money upon arrival, all they did was said hello to me and stamped my passport, didn't even ask why I was here. Anyway I didn't have any money and had come from NZ. I went to NZ for a year with about 8000 euros, spent it all on all sorts of stuff, holidays in fiji etc, even though I Was working. You'll spend whatever you bring probably but you can get by on little if you want. As long as you have enough to get setup until you start getting paid, depends on whether you want to start working or not right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    they don't check your money upon arrival, all they did was said hello to me and stamped my passport, didn't even ask why I was here. Anyway I didn't have any money and had come from NZ. I went to NZ for a year with about 8000 euros, spent it all on all sorts of stuff, holidays in fiji etc, even though I Was working. You'll spend whatever you bring probably but you can get by on little if you want. As long as you have enough to get setup until you start getting paid, depends on whether you want to start working or not right away.

I agree, you can get by on less money over this way. How much money you bring is dependent on how quick you want to work. I got a job 6 weeks after arriving but because we were getting more settled here we spent a good bit getting our flat set up etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I arrived in sydney with about 4000 yo yo and no plan, after a few weeks i only had the no plan....I only got as far as the blue mountains :pac:

• Advertisement

exactly, it's easy to go into holiday mode and blow all your cash, I've blown about 10,000 euros in the past 1.5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Came over with $6500 and pretty much blew the lot because I didn't work for the first 9 weeks while I was here. All my mates had been working for a month before I finally got off my arse. Got down to my last couple of hundred so I was on the noodles!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

exactly, it's easy to go into holiday mode and blow all your cash, I've blown about 10,000 euros in the past 1.5 years

That's alot of hookers & coke ;)

no I can't get coke down here, and hookers are dirt cheap in NZ, I don't know where it all went tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

no I can't get coke down here, and hookers are dirt cheap in NZ, I don't know where it all went tbh

Are those happy pill shops still legal in NZ?

• Advertisement

i'm in melbourne now but they were legal while I was there went illegal soon after I left in february. BZP pills mess you up for days afterwards though, but I became immune and the hangovers got easier. You could buy BZP free ones which are probably still legal, but they would keep me awake for ages, check out www.londonunderground.co.nz if you want to have some shipped over, Head Candy were the best BZP free ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I brought over €6000. I arrived in Melbourne in February and got to Sydney in September/October and all my money was gone. This was after traveling the entire way around Oz. My 6000 euros was supplemented with 6-8 weeks work in Melbourne.

The best thing to do is just to save as much as possible in the time you have available. Then it all depends on your plans when you get over there. We had always planned on hanging around Melbourne a while before traveling so we got work there before traveling.

Save as much as possible (its worth it to cut back on spending in Ireland for a few months).
    Get yourself set up in Oz.
    Put yourself on a budget when you are staying in a city. This way you keep your money for traveling and doing the tourist things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Im heading to thailand at start of december and in sydney for xmas and new years and arrive in melbourne in the first week in Melbourne. i am bringing about €7000 altogether.

It should be enough to do untill i get a job in melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

hussey wrote: »
    Are those happy pill shops still legal in NZ?

Nope.
    Not for the past couple of months.

I came here with 4-5k Euro. Last me 4 months, and still spent a couple of weeks in Oz. I was renting an apartment at the same time. You can make your money last if you try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just wanted to bump this, folks! It seems that about €6k would be a respectable amount to bring. I don't plan on living it large to be quite honest! I'm mainly concerned with accomodation and food, so once I have that sorted I'll figure the rest out.

I also have to factor in the fact that I have to actually pay for the FLIGHTS over :D Will be going to SE Asia on the way probably, so I think the most likely scenario is: fly to Thailand, potter about for a month or so, then on to Oz, and start working shortly thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

im leaving in november, gonna travel around asia for 7 weeks, spend 2 weeks in sydney during xmas and new years and then get a job sometime after that. i plan on bringing 6 grand. im hoping thatll do, i definitely dont plan to travel until the money is almost gone and then work. i plan to travel for 9 weeks and get a job asap. ill work for as long as i can and then travel again etc. lest just hope the job and accomadation scene wont be too stressful.

Advertisement