Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheists are immoral -- debunked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Synopsis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

seamus wrote: »
    Synopsis?

Counter-arguments to religions claims to moral superiority over atheism, backed by evidence. Well produced by ex-science journo from beeb.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

We need evidance to know we live our live by morals set out by ourselves and society as opposed to those written in a 2,000 year old book?

Suppose, if it will keep them quiet for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Counter-arguments to religions claims to moral superiority over atheism, backed by evidence. Well produced by ex-science journo from beeb.

Evidence? I stopped watching when I got to the stupid sacrastic comments with pictures of england.. Not to be your 'classic theist in atheist thread' but this is really poor. Of course if ye only target the creationists and lunatics to argue with you will win. The argument here is poorly presented by the religious conservatives... or whatever they are, and poorly refuted. It doesn't even give reasons, it makes statements. Those statistics are kinda silly too. I'm sure who ever made the film realises that there are other factors affecting crime and all that....

• Advertisement

raah! wrote: »
    I'm sure who ever made the film realises that there are other factors affecting crime and all that....

Its funny how that survey was conducted with the intention of showing atheists to be more likely to commit crime, etc, and it turned out to be the reverse. How would you interpret that evidence, btw? That only degenerates beleive in god?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

It doesn't even give reasons, it makes statements. Those statistics are kinda silly too. I'm sure who ever made the film realises that there are other factors affecting crime and all that....

I'm confused, are you saying that the film needn't have been made and that everyone knows that atheists are not immoral? Or are you saying that atheists are indeed immoral and the video hasn't convinced you otherwise?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That video kinda plays with statistics and imagery in the same way some of the religious type videos do.

So while I agree with the sentiment, I feel a few of their arguments could be picked apart or at least be shown to be tenuous.

Youtube wars, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

pH wrote: »
    I'm confused, are you saying that the film needn't have been made and that everyone knows that atheists are not immoral? Or are you saying that atheists are indeed immoral and the video hasn't convinced you otherwise?

I'm not saying that at all. I was just looking forward to this, as from a philosophical point of view I was always very interested in moral relativism. (see 99% of my posts in the topic 'are morals relative'). I don't know why you would infer this whole load of negative things against your fellows!. You religious types are so sensitive! (I'm joking)

Anyway, I am in agreement with dades. It is my opinion that that video is a worthless piece of sensationalist trash (like many films by the opposite camp, like that guy they showed at the start), regardless of what my own views on the subject would be. (although I would never go in for such vulgar generalisations as those in the thread title)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Of course if ye only target the creationists and lunatics to argue with you will win.

Er, this video is a response to the arguments and assertions of "creationists and lunatics" who have claimed that atheism is immoral and acceptance of it as accurate leads to a person being immoral. It isn't targeting anyone
    It doesn't even give reasons, it makes statements.
    Again it doesn't need to give reasons, it simply needs to show that the charge leveled against evolution and the acceptance of evolution is not backed up by reality. Which in my opinion it does quite well.

I think people often confuse the argument, made in this video (and often on this forum), that atheism or evolution does not lead to high crime with the assertion that atheism leads to low crime. That isn't what the author is saying. He is not saying that atheism lowers crime, that would be a foolish thing to claim. He is saying that there is no evidence that atheism increases crime.

As I said it is a response to a charge leveled at atheism.
    I'm sure who ever made the film realises that there are other factors affecting crime and all that....

Well yes, that is the whole point. Acceptance of evolution, or atheism, does not lead to high levels of immorality and crime. Crime is caused by other factors, it isn't caused by the teaching of evolution or the rejection of organised religion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement