Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Esoteric Comics' - a dead birth?

Options
  • 13-08-2008 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I am not really the thorough-bred Comic fan, but I seriously like good 'graphic novels', where the perfection of the art of sketching matches the contents of a good story. And, because of my particular interest in another area, I am curious, what kind of comics is produced here. Well, not everybody is able to read German, but those of you who do, have a look to the new comic 'Hagazussa' (you can even Google it and see the first three pages for free). It is brilliant and perfect in every sense. I contacted the producer and learned that - due to demand - there are already negotiations about a translation into English! Keep your noses up, guys...
    (for those who have no clue and want to know more: It's the story about a young country Witch, living with mother and granny - with all the little problems of daily life):D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Arkana wrote: »
    Well, not everybody is able to read German, but those of you who do, have a look to the new comic 'Hagazussa' (you can even Google it and see the first three pages for free).

Comics being in languages I can't read doesn't put me off - the massive amount of japanese, french, spainish, Italian, german and some fantastic scandinavian comics taking up space in my house will speak to that but you need to give a little more information on this comic [like the creator or the publisher] as googleing the name I didn't find any comics.

Germany has been putting out some nice stuff recently - was at the lipzeig book fair last year and the increase in home grown comic talent was great to see. They've a long way to go to match the likes of France and Belgium for comics but its a start. Big fan of the work of Thomas Ott [he's actually swiss but sells really well in germany] His work is nearly always silent so no need to work about translation. And american publishers like fantagraphics, first second, and top shelf seem to be having a love affair with Scandinavian creators at the moment - look for Jason's work [just jason no surname] again alot of silent work that overcomes the whole language issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Arkana

Well, Ztoical, maybe glasses help?
    No offence, but I checked, put in Comic 'Hagazussa' and with the first attempt, first page, sixth or seventh entry, I got:

Christian Turk - Comics

Hagazussa! ist eine im besten Sinne altmodische Comic-Geschichte voller Magie, Romantik und Spaß. Die Welt von Wunna, Coll und den anderen Hexen fühlt sich ...
    www.christianturk.de/content/blogsection/12/47/ - 8k

Try it!

Well, Ztoical, maybe glasses help?
    No offence, but I checked, put in Comic 'Hagazussa' and with the first attempt, first page, sixth or seventh entry, I got

Most people when they start a thread to talk about a comic thats got them excited enough to post will link to it or at the very least give the names of the writer/artist and/or publisher putting it out esp if its not being put out by an american publisher which is what most people who read this board are familiar. If people have to go google it for themselves and check 6 or 7 entries before finding something most are not going to bother.

Well...
    and? After getting the relevant information, even the link, did you check it?
    What's your opinion about that comic?:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well...
    and? After getting the relevant information, even the link, did you check it?
    What's your opinion about that comic?:D

Calm down, people will get around to checking it out in their own time and post back if they feel like commenting on it. People will be more likely to check things out on a whim if you make it easier for them by giving them a direct link to the relevant site/comic straight away rather than telling them to go look for it, particularly if you're telling people to Google-search for something in a language they don't speak.

I had a look at the link you posted - the cover piece shown is quite nice, although the visual style is a tad non-descript. I also found a pin-up piece in the Gallery showing the main cast of the comic on a broomstick. The style makes it look like it's a humour-type strip, but without seeing any sequential pages it's hard to say much about it really.

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    Calm down, people will get around to checking it out in their own time and post back if they feel like commenting on it. People will be more likely to check things out on a whim if you make it easier for them by giving them a direct link to the relevant site/comic straight away rather than telling them to go look for it, particularly if you're telling people to Google-search for something in a language they don't speak.

+1 I could understand the need for quick feedback/opinion if you were the artist/writer of the book but if your just posting about a book your a fan of then have some patience - while popular opinion might think comics are a simple mass produced throw away items that you can read in 20 mins, it actually takes time to read most comics and longer to forum an opinion. And in this case like Fysh said there is only pin up art and a cover to forum that opinion. Without seeing sequential pages I don't really like forum an opinion of any comic . I like to read a whole comic before arriving at an opinion, even with books in languages I can only read parts of or even nothing at all, the visual language should be there to at least give you some idea if the artist can tell a story.

If you want an opinion based just on a cover and a pin up - its looks like alot of french comics just in german. On a packed shelf with other comics I'm not sure how well it would jump out and grab my attention.

Well - I was mainly asking ztoical this question, because he was the one answering first.
    @fysh: Why calm down??? This lets people assume I am upset what I am not (people usually call me the 'walking sleeping agent'). No, I was just curious about ztoical's opinion. And yourself - you probably haven't looked through all the pages... there are currently five pages of the comic. Do you call this a pin up? Well, I think this is enough for to make up your first mind... (IMHO):D

Well - I was mainly asking ztoical this question, because he was the one answering first.

First off I'm a she not a he.

- you probably haven't looked through all the pages... there are currently five pages of the comic. Do you call this a pin up? Well, I think this is enough for to make up your first mind... (IMHO):D

There's something wrong with the website as the 5 pages of sequential pages don't load up - I had to play around with the settings for ages to get them to work and most people aren't going to bother doing that. I thought it might be my Mac causing the issue but I've checked with it on my pc as well and it looks like theres a Java script error with the page so when its opened all any of us are seeing is the cover.

My comments on the 5 pages - they are nice, well drawn and inked, I don't think the artists should colour them, at least not with the way they've chosen to ink them. It looks like a mixture of Craig Thompson and Tim Fish's style with an early 80's disney animation feel. They have some tangent issues which you can see more clearly in the other work on the site.

Correct me if I'm wrong but according to my limited german the artists says they don't have a publisher for this comic.

ztoical wrote: »
    First off I'm a she not a he.

I am very sorry about that - but you have to admit, it is really difficult to see...;)
    There's something wrong with the website as the 5 pages of sequential pages don't load up - I had to play around with the settings for ages to get them to work and most people aren't going to bother doing that. I thought it might be my Mac causing the issue but I've checked with it on my pc as well and it looks like theres a Java script error with the page so when its opened all any of us are seeing is the cover.

That is very strange. I do not even have broadband - just dial up - but when I am patient and wait a certain time this site is opening at the first attempt without any problems. :confused:
    My comments on the 5 pages - they are nice, well drawn and inked, I don't think the artists should colour them, at least not with the way they've chosen to ink them. It looks like a mixture of Craig Thompson and Tim Fish's style with an early 80's disney animation feel. They have some tangent issues which you can see more clearly in the other work on the site.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but according to my limited german the artists says they don't have a publisher for this comic.

There is no need for correction - just additional information: He is currently negotiating with several publishers but did not make any decision yet. But he promised me to send me some other, already published, comics. I'll keep you informed.:cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

@fysh: Why calm down??? This lets people assume I am upset what I am not (people usually call me the 'walking sleeping agent'). No, I was just curious about ztoical's opinion. And yourself - you probably haven't looked through all the pages... there are currently five pages of the comic. Do you call this a pin up? Well, I think this is enough for to make up your first mind... (IMHO):D

Firstly, the "calm down" comment was because it's very unusual to demand a response from people and not something I particularly want to encourage. If people read the thread, look at the site and want to comment, they will do so. If not, there's not a lot you can do about it. Exhorting people to respond to your thread tends not to come across well, regardless of whether your comment is well-intentioned.

As for the site itself, it does seem to have a problem - as ztoical has mentioned, only a cover/pinup image is visible (see attachment for what I get when I look at the Comic page on the site). I tried rummaging through the source code for the page but became bored before being able to see more than one other page (this one). As with the previous images the artwork on this page is nice, but until the site actually has pages from the comic that can be seen easily, that's about as much comment as anyone's going to bother with.

• Advertisement

There is no need for correction - just additional information: He is currently negotiating with several publishers but did not make any decision yet. But he promised me to send me some other, already published, comics. I'll keep you informed.:cool:

I wasn't correcting or adding additional information, I was confused as it was implied in the your first post that this comic had already been in published in germany and had proven so popular that they were looking to publish an english version. Claiming it as "brilliant and perfect in every sense" seems a tad premature if it hasn't been published yet.

I wasn't correcting or adding additional information, I was confused as it was implied in the your first post that this comic had already been in published in germany and had proven so popular that they were looking to publish an english version. Claiming it as "brilliant and perfect in every sense" seems a tad premature if it hasn't been published yet.

Well, if you have a close look you will notice I did not precisely say it has been 'printed'. Many books (and Comics too) are published in the internet before actually being printed. But don't let us slice hairs - I was (and this is still my opinion, premature or not) excited about the quality - and a lot of German readers (there is a parallel discussion forum) too.
    @ fysh: I have no explanation why you only see the title page ... except (sorry, if this question sounds stupid) - did you see the little button 'weiter...' left below the title page? This means 'next' in English. If you don't press it, you won't get the other pages. If you are now - after clearing of the technical topics - curious, try this: http://www.christianturk.de/content/view/34/47/
    This should lead you directly to the site with the title page, seven black&white pages and a colored first page (a test of Chr.Turk). Despite the slow speed of my dial-up connection I had no serious difficulties to access this.
    Qu'aplah! (Klingon for 'success' :D)

Advertisement