Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Cosy Pub

Options
  • 13-08-2008 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭

Can anybody suggest a nice quiet, cosy pub around the city centre/Dominick Street area? Somebody suggested the Crane Bar, but i was never down there. I've a hot date next week that i want to get maximum jigginess from.:D

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Could try the cottege bar on the way out to salthill, been nearly a year since I was in there but it was nice. Also do tappas if you want some fud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

pix of 'hot' date please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Go to Cava, Tapas bar, seriously gorgeous food.
    Similar question except I don't want to go for food or drink. Trying to plan a novel date?! Any genuine replies?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

take your date to join a pub/club/society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

DRakE wrote: »
    take your date to join a pub/club/society

Huh? Like the Famous Five Fan Club?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Similar question except I don't want to go for food or drink. Trying to plan a novel date?! Any genuine replies?

Cheers, wheres Cava? Its hard to plan anything novel with this crap weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Dominick St, other end to Monroes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

the blue note.. good for a date id say. who's wit me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

That theatre restaurant on the way down to Dominick St if you were walking in from town (same road/side as Subway)?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Old Forge ;)

No, actually this
    33658.jpg
    in Salthill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

biko wrote: »
    The Old Forge ;)

No, actually this
    33658.jpg
    in Salthill

Hell yes, straw/hay on the floor etc real cosy on a sh1te night!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

That theatre restaurant on the way down to Dominick St if you were walking in from town (same road/side as Subway)?

It can be V. quiet some nights, but there is usually a good singer there on Thursdays.. they are starting late-night stuff soon I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

As already mentioned, i'd go with the Cottage Bar or O' Connors - and if the weather is in any way decent (lol) you can walk the prom/go to the amusments since ye're out that direction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

If you just want to go for food Abalone on Dominick St, while pricey, is out of this world! Be warned its not a normal meal for two in other places might cover one half of the cost in this place. But man it is so worth it. Best meal I’ve had in Galway in years and that going from the original Food and Drink mod :).

A little hidden gem at one point, not been there in years so it might be different now, is the Rockbarton House Hotel or Tyson’s which ever they go by now. Good food, comfy little pub. Remember many nights in there enjoying a meal and few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

kayos wrote: »
    If you just want to go for food Abalone on Dominick St, while pricey, is out of this world! Be warned its not a normal meal for two in other places might cover one half of the cost in this place. But man it is so worth it. Best meal I’ve had in Galway in years and that going from the original Food and Drink mod :).
    What he said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If you'r ehitting Abalone (I'm another big fan of the place!), there's a new little pub next door to it. I can't remember the name, and I haven't made it in there yet, but it looks nice.

Or you could try the Arus.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Crane's not the place for a cozy date, unless she's really into trad music. Wayyy too many old men (they're lovely people but not a good look on a date), and tourists.

The Western (Prospect Hill). Or E Brun (I think that's what it's called ... new on Dominic St). Massimos. Cottage Bar in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

There ia a lovely little resteraunt under the Bridge Mills, think it's called the Holy Well or something, but I heard it is really nice. Yum food too.

Pub wise, I have to say I quite like that No.8 on the docks.
    Others may disagree that it isn't the best place for a first date, but I have to say I find it cosy and very chilled out, you could sit there for hours chatting (or in your case, gazing at your hot date)
    Also it isnt as noisy as the Crane etc..

That's my tuppence worth anyhoo

Advertisement