Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Sun: "Mick Foley will jump to rival wrestling group TNA next month"

• 13-08-2008 4:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/article1553248.ece
    WWE legend Mick Foley will jump to rival wrestling group TNA next month, a close friend has told The Sun.

The hardcore icon has become frustrated with his role as a commentator on Smackdown and wants to leave Vince McMahon’s company when his contract expires on September 1.

And he is so determined to make an IMPACT for his new employers, that he’s even willing to get back in the ring.

Foley’s pal told us: “Mick's body cannot handle a full time schedule, even in TNA.

“But he's hell bent on doing everything he can to further his legacy and put them on the map.

"So Mick's plan is to wrestle select dates, like Sting currently does.

“He feels he will legitimately make a big difference in the way TNA Wrestling is perceived by the public!”

Mick missed last night’s Smackdown TV taping for the second week running, with Tazz once again taking his announcer spot beside Jim Ross.

Last week, Foley told a newspaper: “At this point, there is a good chance, through mutual agreement that I will not be renewing my contract.

“Creatively, the announcing job wasn't working out too well.”

The hardcore legend almost went to TNA once before, in 2005, but decided to sign a new deal with the WWE at the last moment.

Read as "I want another pay rise, Vince."

He has to be bluffing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Its a power play, nothing else. Only problem is I can see Vince thinking of Foley as surplus to requirements this time and calling his bluff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If it is true it could mean the end of Don West, one can dream

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Its a power play, nothing else. Only problem is I can see Vince thinking of Foley as surplus to requirements this time and calling his bluff.

The Foley and McMahon relationship is like that of father & son from a rural Irish play.

Don West is awesome, leave him alone he tries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Damo.Smith

no way will foley leave surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I would hate to see Foley in TNA, his name to that already maxed out list of washed up ex-wwers just would not fit dammit!

Damo.Smith wrote: »
    no way will foley leave surely

Even with all Ive already posted, Foley WAS bothered by an article in Power Slam basicially calling Foley a sell out for choosing WWE over TNA in 2005. So it might be still a possibility, Damo. As Foley may want to prove a point to people so to speak.

I would hate to see Foley in TNA, his name to that already maxed out list of washed up ex-wwers just would not fit dammit!

Can you name these "washed up ex-WWErs"?

Can you name these "washed up ex-WWErs"?

I dont think he has the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I read this earlier but I don't see it happening. Mick gets very into his angles and he'd probably leave when they want him to do something that makes no sense to him

• Advertisement

:( I'm disappointed. How can you reasonably state that Kurt Angle, Christian Cage, Rhino, Team 3D, Matt Morgan or Sheik Abdul Bashir are washed up? Booker T is going the way of washed up but not quite yet and B.G. James is making the transition into a backstage announcer. So Kip James and Kevin Nash (who has potential for a backstage position or as an announcer) are the only two worthy of being on that list.

Sorry if i offended you, but i just remember how each one of these left the wwe, all with the exception of a few it was pretty bad.

Take Angle, whatever is rumored to have happened we all know that he was at breaking point with his health, and wwe offered him time off to get himself back together and he rejected it.

All because of the backstage politics that was affecting his decision.

If it happens to Foley too i'll be kinda peeved about it, he could do some other worthwhile projects, like a certain october tour of ireland for example.... :p;)

Ah in fairness Machismo, Morgan is useless regardless if he's washed up, VKM were embarrasing during their last run, Daivari,although what they are doing with him is a little washed up. I lost all respect for Booker listening to him say "Six sides of steel with weapons" in a menacing voice when it is the funniest name for a gimmick match I've heard in a while.

On Nash, I think TNA are handling him well. Finding most of his backstage segments interesting.At least he takes some of Joe's mic time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Its quite possible that this could and will happen in the future, but until something more reputable than the ****ing Sun reports it, I'll take it with a pinch of salt. Its like the way they report football: "sources close to the player have said.......," followed by any old bollox they care to make up and report in a manner that even a kindergarten dunce could improve upon.:pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    Its quite possible that this could and will happen in the future, but until something more reputable than the ****ing Sun reports it, I'll take it with a pinch of salt. Its like the way they report football: "sources close to the player have said.......," followed by any old bollox they care to make up and report in a manner that even a kindergarten dunce could improve upon.:pac:

Wow, wait, when did The Sun start reporting ANYTHING wresting?
    Unless Heyman has started the wrestling gossip section?

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Ah in fairness Machismo, Morgan is useless regardless if he's washed up, VKM were embarrasing during their last run, Daivari,although what they are doing with him is a little washed up.

Abdul Bashir is the heel the X-Division has needed since Samoa Joe moved up, neither Sabin, Devine or Williams could really fill his spot, maybe Sonjay can aswell.

Morgan seems to be gathering momentum and the American Gladiators link is handy for him.

True, BG has been useless since the end of 3LK and Kip has been pretty useless since Billy and Chuck.

Wow, wait, when did The Sun start reporting ANYTHING wresting?
    Unless Heyman has started the wrestling gossip section?

About 5 years and they broken a number of major stories. I dont think theyve ever been totally wrong. They have a fantastic relationship with WWE.

rovert wrote: »
    About 5 years and they broken a number of major stories. I dont think theyve ever been totally wrong. They have a fantastic relationship with WWE.

Yeah, their wrestling and MMA coverage is shockingly good when compared to the rest of their stuff

More Comic-Book-Guy jumping to conclusions.

Anyway Foley could be a very valuable to Raven's lawsuit. As they are close friends if you read Hardcore Diaries. Also rumoured to be attached to that suit is Shane Douglas who is another friend of Foleys.

• Advertisement

According to the latest Observer barring an eleventh hour deal Foley is definitly gone from WWE.

More Comic-Book-Guy jumping to conclusions.

What the sweet F*** is that supposed to mean?

What the sweet F*** is that supposed to mean?

Exact same as the point I posted today which you in fact acknowledged:
    It is more to do with your current attitude rather than that one post, mainly towards me. You are very quick to attack often with little grounds while often being contradictory in doing so. Just please stop being so presumptuous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I think foley would be better off in TNA. God know he would be a hell of a lot better treated. As TNA being full of washed WWEers, its an easy target to critise, but TNA needs X-WWE wrestlers to peak peoples interest.
    And as far as Im concerned
    Cage - In his prime, peeking in TNA, I think he will a valuable asset in years to come as he is an excellent worker, rarely gets injured and is excellent at putting guys over.
    Angle - As good as he ever was in WWE if not better in TNA IMO. The lighter schedule has served him well
    Team 3D - Cant go like they used to but excellent heels with a great legacy and they are putting over the likes of LAX and the guns
    Matt Morgan - Never reached his full potential in WWE and may never reach it in TNA either but it's still worth TNA's time and money in developing him as his potential is huge. To say he's washed up unfair, the man is getting exposure on TNA and American Gladiators. From a publicity point of view, as far as getting his name out there, he may be getting more exposure then he ever did in WWE.
    Stiener - his WWE run was pathetic but the guy has come on so much since then, if anything he was more washed up in WWE.
    Booker T - can still go, not aswell as he used to of course but good on the mic.
    Sting - A legend and invaluable asset to the company. TNA's largest rating spike came when he started showing up on impact. Second only to flair for longevity of career, can still put on a hell of a match

Russo does at least knows how to book Foley effectively, I just hope he hasnt forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

I agree with everyone who says its just a move for a better contract.

I agree with everyone who says its just a move for a better contract.

That was my original stance but it seems more serious than that there is a lot of hurt feelings on both sides.

Angle - As good as he ever was in WWE if not better in TNA IMO. The lighter schedule has served him well

Come of it. I love TNA but there is quite simply no way that the Angle in TNA is as good as the Angle of five years ago, he's not even close.

As for Team 3D, at the moment they're looking great in TNA. I think storyline wise it could be turning another corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

angles been involved in two of the best us tv ppv matches this year, even at 50% capacity he is still better than 90% of the wwe roster. booker is a great guy to have on board, question, who would you rather watch mark henry or booker t?? khali or booker t??

calling cage washed up is surely a joke :eek: if cage is a washed up ex-wwe guy in tna, then lesnar is a washed up ex-wwe guy in ufc :rolleyes:

rhino was badly used in wwe and looks much better in tna; morgan is there for his size, he is a circus attraction

steiner is washed up as are billy gunn and the roadie, nash should not be wrestling

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    calling cage washed up is surely a joke :eek: if cage is a washed up ex-wwe guy in tna, then lesnar is a washed up ex-wwe guy in ufc :rolleyes:

Bad example maybe, but hell no in terms of success Lesnar means much, much more than Cage. Christian & Co. cant sell out the IMPACT zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Bad example maybe, but hell no in terms of success Lesnar means much, much more than Cage. Christian & Co. cant sell out the IMPACT zone.

No one can sell out the Impact Zone, it's free to get in hehe

Come of it. I love TNA but there is quite simply no way that the Angle in TNA is as good as the Angle of five years ago, he's not even close.

As for Team 3D, at the moment they're looking great in TNA. I think storyline wise it could be turning another corner

AJ vs Kurt, Hard Justice its real,its DAMN real

EdK wrote: »
    AJ vs Kurt, Hard Justice its real,its DAMN real

I saw that match, and yeah it was good but it wasn't Angles best and the reason it was so good was mainly down to A.J. I thought. Angle is my favourite star of the past 10 years, but he's gone downhill

I saw that match, and yeah it was good but it wasn't Angles best and the reason it was so good was mainly down to A.J. I thought. Angle is my favourite star of the past 10 years, but he's gone downhill

Harsh saying it was all down to AJ both of them worked a great match

EdK wrote: »
    No one can sell out the Impact Zone, it's free to get in hehe

Which is my point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

BG James gets a bit of an unfair rap when people list off former wwe guys in TNA. His time there seems to be regarded as a complete failure.

However, when he first arrived he had a great run with 3 Live Kru. It wasn't until Billy Gunn arrived from WWE that things went downhill.

TNA isn't yet in WWE's league. They are much smaller, and intent on growing. It is easier to attract people with people who are already well known names among your target demographic, then it is to attract people with stars you build up from within.

Samoa Joe hasn't been the draw TNA were hoping, because he's not very well known outside of TNA and the IWC. If he were hired by WWE tomorrow he most certainly would not be on the level of WWE's maineventers. At best he'd be put in with Umaga, or for the intercontinental title.

Foley is a bit of a legend in wrestling circles, and, when he can be bothered is more than able to pull out a great match or two. He is also a man who seems more than willing to put over younger talent.

So depending on how TNA were to use foley, it could be a great signing for all involved.

Cactus Col wrote: »
    Samoa Joe hasn't been the draw TNA were hoping, because he's not very well known outside of TNA and the IWC.

No, Samoa Joe hasn't been a draw because he hasn't been booked as a draw. He's been booked as a whiny face champion. Whiny face champions do not draw. If you can find a whiny face champion who drew then I'll take that back, but I don't know of any

Advertisement