Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Doing the test

Options
  • 13-08-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

If ye dont own a car or have no friend willing for ye to get insured on theirs, how dya do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    If ye dont own a car or have no friend willing for ye to get insured on theirs, how dya do it?
    take a few lessons using an instructors car,then use theirs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Some driving schools will rent them to you...or you could give somewhere like Hertz a call? You'll be better off getting the car a few days before the test so you can get used to it (controls etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

so the actual test centre doesnt supply a car at all!!! doubt hertz would rent tya on a provisional licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

ssmith6287 wrote:
    so the actual test centre doesnt supply a car at all!!! doubt hertz would rent tya on a provisional licence
    Nope. You provide the car, and have to sign a form stating its fully insured and fully road legal. If you're taking lessons ask the driving instructor what they charge for the use of their car for the test - will usually be in region of €50-€60 depending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

macroman wrote: »
    Nope. You provide the car, and have to sign a form stating its fully insured and fully road legal. If you're taking lessons ask the driving instructor what they charge for the use of their car for the test - will usually be in region of €50-€60 depending.

I think you'd be doing very well to get it for that much, i've heard figures twice that for renting an instructors car, with insurance costs and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

DarkJager wrote: »
    Some driving schools will rent them to you...or you could give somewhere like Hertz a call? You'll be better off getting the car a few days before the test so you can get used to it (controls etc)
    Considering you need to be over 23 and have your licence for 3 years with most rental companies I'd say they laugh at you if you tried Hertz.

Your regular instructor is your best bet. Shouldnt be much different for him than a lesson and I am sure testers must have pretty extensive cover for all cars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I think you'd be doing very well to get it for that much, i've heard figures twice that for renting an instructors car, with insurance costs and the likes.

it cost me 90 euro to hire out my instructors car for the test.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Washout wrote: »
    it cost me 90 euro to hire out my instructors car for the test.

90e!
    Good god mine would have done it for 35e..same fee as the lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭Daith

Cabaal wrote: »
    90e!
    Good god mine would have done it for 35e..same fee as the lesson

It cost me about the same but included a lesson beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I thought it was about €130 to rent the instructors car for the test but that will depend on where you live.

The instructors love renting out their car for tests because they are basically getting paid for a lesson they don't have to do.

Anyway regardless of cost it's not a problem to rent the car from the instructor, lots of people do it especially people with old cars which might not be in excellent condition.

Advertisement