Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of questions re: residents parking permits

Options
  • 13-08-2008 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Right, couple of questions here.

First off, with Cork City Council's permits, what sort of leeway are you given in terms of the area you can park? Is it tied to a specific street, or is it within a certain defined zone? I've been told that it allows you to park within two miles of your home, but surely this can't be right?

Secondly, and I'm guessing the answer is 'no', is there such a thing as a visitor's permit? I can remember living in Edinburgh before, and securing one of these which could be given to any visitor.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

AFAIK to even get a permit you must be a fully registered tenant or own the house and the car must be registered to that address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Xiangjiao wrote: »
    Right, couple of questions here.

First off, with Cork City Council's permits, what sort of leeway are you given in terms of the area you can park? Is it tied to a specific street, or is it within a certain defined zone? I've been told that it allows you to park within two miles of your home, but surely this can't be right?

Secondly, and I'm guessing the answer is 'no', is there such a thing as a visitor's permit? I can remember living in Edinburgh before, and securing one of these which could be given to any visitor.

I promise i will stay on topic from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Xiangjiao

castie wrote: »
    AFAIK to even get a permit you must be a fully registered tenant or own the house and the car must be registered to that address.

Which I am (or will be once the paperwork is processed), I'm just wondering how it works beyond that. Say I'm living on South Mall (which I'm not, but for argument's sake)- can I only park on the Mall-, or adjacent streets? Or can I park anywhere in the City centre?

Just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Google is you friend:

http://www.corkcorp.ie/ourservices/roadstransportation/trafficdivision/residentparkingpermits/#d.en.2431

There should be a map there somewhere showing you the zones which the permits are given for. The zones vary in size but generally are not that big(a block of a couple of streets maybe).

I dont think there is a such a thing as a visitors permit primarily because they are open to abuse, after all there arent that many spaces in the city anyway, particularly in residential areas.

I dont think there is a such a thing as a visitors permit primarily because they are open to abuse, after all there arent that many spaces in the city anyway, particularly in residential areas.

Yup, didn't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Also if the residence has off street parking then you will not be entitled to a street permit.

MC

Also if the residence has off street parking then you will not be entitled to a street permit.

MC

Yeah, and if it's a new apartment complex built in the last 4 (I think) years with no parking provided, you won't get one either.

I know people living in complexes where they're charging €1200 per year and above for a space... talk about putting people over a barrel!

Would be handy alright if the parking area zone maps were on the site, but that's probably too much to ask from our beloved city council.

I promise i will stay on topic from now on

Good. I'm glad we had this conversation.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

He was bold

castie wrote: »
    He was bold

I told him what I said in person, and he laughed. Thankfully there were no mods around.

:D

• Advertisement

Thankfully there were no mods around.

:D

How can you be so sure though, FD? Hah?

Xiangjiao wrote: »
    How can you be so sure though, FD? Hah?

< <
    -

> >