Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite installation meter

• 13-08-2008 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just asking if anyone has any practical experience with working with the DigiPro Excel-TV model of satellite installation meter ?

I have two on order as a test before I buy any more, one will be used to install a VSAT in Uganda and another by myself to test out at home with a motorised setup and all going well then to give VSAT installation training in Africa at the end of the year or early next.

I was using the Horizon Digital meters in the past and although they're ok at the job, they do tend to get mixed up with signals received on certain transponders, as in I'd be looking for a particular transponder from W3A @ 7 East and it would pick the signal from 10 East. Not having a Satellite receiver and TV to hand on some of the sites, it becomes increasingly frustrating to assure yourself that you are actually on the right satellite in the first place and a compass only helps so much.

With the new Digipro model at least there's an actual little TV built into it to give you a visual assurance that you're on the right track, then switch to the actual data transponder you want.

That's the idea anyway and will be testing them out over the next couple of weeks once received.
    They have a spectrum analyser of sorts built in also, sufficient enough for decent VSAT installations.

There's a review of the units in the August/September Tele-Satellite magazine and they got a good review, which swayed me further toward them.
    Website itself to look at the specs is www.satcatcher.com and they're charging 469 pounds sterling per kit.

Anyone else here used them in the past or could give any input at all ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

I've been looking at these too. For me, the spectrum analyser function is pretty important as it allows you to quickly identify a sat and to pick up new TPs. However, from what I've seen of the pics of the spectrum analyser function on the satcatcher website, it doesn't impress me. I don't know if you get a marker freq readout either?

I'm thinking of the Trimax SM2500 instead. The analyzer function looks to have better sensitivity and it does give a marker readout. It supposedly has NIT interrogation too, although no detail is provided in the manual or on the website whether it has auto-SR or not.
    n2008052217294915.jpg

Neither of these have constellation plots though. And neither support DVB-S2 which might be important if you're doing a lot of VSAT work.

http://www.trimaxtv.com/Main/ProductView.asp?ID=33&SortID=124
    http://www.trimaxtechnology.com/sm2500.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Cheers for that Zaphod. Just using DVB-S1 so should be ok in that regards for the moment anyway but yeah, something to bare in mind.
    Should have the units end of next week hopefully and will put them through their paces.

Cheers dude. Actually looks like a decent enough meter that.

Have been trying out the DigiPro Excel TV at home with my motorised setup. Works grand, seems perfectly fine in operation and had the added ability of actually controlling the motor itself, which was great for testing out and fine tuning the motorised install itself.
    I wouldn't be great now at writing a full review of it but if anyone wanted particular questions answered about it then just fire away and see what I can do. I have it this weekend with me at home also before I send it out to with one of our lads going back to Africa soon to carry out a couple of VSAT installs.

Due to some of our installs being near the Equator, it can be difficult for them at times to be absolutely sure they're pointing at the right satellite in the first place though I know known spectrum analyser pics can be used, it's a steeper learning curve for them to get to grips with plus a picture is 100% visual proof you're on the right bird.

Lack of QPSK reading on the meter isn't a big problem as the modems we use can give readings through commands via a telnet session anyway.

We'll be putting the units through their paces over the coming months with further installs in Africa. I'm happy with the units as they stand now though but we'll see how they hold up with full on tests in the field :)

Could you post some pics of the spectrum analyzer function? Can it identify an unknown transponder or interrogate NIT data?

• Advertisement

Yeah will do, I'll get a better chance this weekend to better play some more with it. I'll post some pics and let you know on the other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Nehaxak wrote: »
    I have it this weekend with me at home also before I send it out to with one of our lads going back to Africa soon to carry out a couple of VSAT installs.
    Totally off the point but curiousity getting the better of me! :pac:Is this for an NGO or is this commercial work your doing in the dark continent?

Sorry I'd forgotten all about this and was then off travelling.
    I'll try get the time to have a better look this weekend if I can.

Oh and with an NGO btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LCS

How did you get on with these machines for the V-sat installations?

Advertisement