Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tunnels in Kilkenny City

Options
  • 13-08-2008 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Recently I've heard that there is a whole network of catacombs in Kilkenny City, which wouldn't be all that unfitting, considering its history.

I hear they are entered from the crypt in St Mary's Cathedral (that door at the back with the skull and crossbones on it) and many other places too.

There is an interesting trap door in the street level of the Tholsel (town hall) that may lead to them, as well as that tunnel in the Rose Garden of the castle and I'm sure there are many other entrances. Surely St. Canice's Cathedral and St. Kieran's College have entrances too...

Does anyone know anything about them, or even been in them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Theres a few in KK castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

hmm interesting, get on to an archaeology company, like Kilkenny Archhaeology who did work in Rothe House recently and are knowledgeable about KK city, they should know, AFAIK, they didnt do the work between St Marys and that Kierans Street-the one with Dunnes Stores on it.
    Actually the River used to come up to those walls at one stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

There's one that leads directly from Morrisons (hence its general undergroundness) to the Left Bank. Initially the plan was to develop the tunnel and link the two bars but it got nixed at the planning permission stage.

There's also a tunnel (one of the St. Mary's ones) that runs directly from Maggies / Carpe Diem / Playwright to the Metropole.

The most obvious one has been the one that leads from Kilkenny Castle to the Design Centre which was only found in the last 10 years but can currently be viewed clearly.

Apparently, there's a whole network that extends out to the Dunmore Caves and Jenkinstown, which was used as an escape route from the City during emergencies.

There's potential for a seriously cool rain shelter here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

one entry is in the old graveyard on patricks street, another down at the canal walk, and near stephens barracks

but I understand they are sealed, i kno when i was a kid (god 30 years ago) mates ventured down them but I never did !

I don't even know what they are , I do know one is actually a sewer ( the one near the mills down the canal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Another sealed at the Black Abbey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭StudentEmeritus

I recommend that if you want some info on this, and a chance to discuss it with someone who knows a lot on the matter, there is a guy called Peter who is a tour guide in KK Castle and he's well up on these things. Really nice guy, lives for local history. Call in anytime.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm doubtful about the extent of these tunnels but I'd say some do certainly exist within Kilkenny, be interested to find out more....if I get the chance might look for that tour guide in Kilkenny Castle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Threadhead wrote: »
    There's one that leads directly from Morrisons (hence its general undergroundness) to the Left Bank. Initially the plan was to develop the tunnel and link the two bars but it got nixed at the planning permission stage.

As far as I know that was a non starter as the water tables would have flooded any type of tunnel between the 2(But the cost of developing this would of been huge)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭granturismo

one entry is in the old graveyard on patricks street,...i kno when i was a kid (god 30 years ago)

As kids in the '70s we used to talk about the tunnel from this graveyard to the castle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 feltoncrikk

Thank you everyone. Whereabouts in the old cemetery would I find the entrance? This is all getting very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭granturismo

Thank you everyone. Whereabouts in the old cemetery ...

The cemetery is up Patrick Street at the Junction with Jacob street, beside the tire place. Now, as to whether there is actually an entrance to an underground passage...

Lets have a Boards beers (minus the beers) and go around Kilkenny looking for a way in
    i'll bring a pick, someone else can bring the shovel and a flashlight
    it'll be at midnight to fit the mood!
    maybe some Nocturnals would be interested in going?? .. cos everyone else will be asleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

count me out have you ever seen the movie CATACOMBS :D

..No?
    and i wasnt being serious! .. Unless.. ..... hmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It's a fascinating thread though. It's all very Enid Blyton-ish. All we need now are some Cornish smugglers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Firetrap wrote: »
    It's a fascinating thread though. It's all very Enid Blyton-ish. All we need now are some Cornish smugglers

And 4 snobs and a overfed dog...

This thread is fairly interesting. I'm finding out some great info about Kilkenny I never knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

sound like a job for the hardy boys??

i've got a clue over here!

Yeah the Hardy boys would beat Enid Blytons dubious repeditive stories any day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Rally interesting thread. I think i'll have to dust off my splunking kit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

An interesting thread indeed, and I'm glad to see someone has trotted out that old chestnut about the tunnel from the Castle to Dunmore Caves.

It's nonsense, of course. There isn't one. There couldn't be. A tunnel all the way from the Castle, under the river and 10 miles (or whatever) out to Dunmore? Emerging through subterranean rock? And dug a couple of hundred years ago? Pleeeeeeeese..!!!

Still, it's nice to see an urban myth like this being handed down to new generations. And there are a few Castle tunnels - one from one wing to the other wing (for the servants so that the Butlers wouldn't have to look at them crossing the yard), another out to the Canal Walk and another down to Rose Inn Street.

Myself, I was always more a Five Find Outers child than a Famous Five child, by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Heard a similar but smaller scale "chestnut" about a tunnel between the Black Abbey and caves in Holdensrath quarry. The fairy tale gained slight credence when supplemented with tales of the tunnel being used as an escape route for Franciscans from Cromwell and the like. For the Nore, read Bregagh as the small obstacle in the way. I just might believe a tunnel from the Black Abbey to behind the town walls, a matter of a hundred yards or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭A_M101

Threadhead wrote: »

The most obvious one has been the one that leads from Kilkenny Castle to the Design Centre which was only found in the last 10 years but can currently be viewed clearly.

Nah, I definetly heard about this one more than ten years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mick T

Recently I've heard that there is a whole network of catacombs in Kilkenny City, which wouldn't be all that unfitting, considering its history.

I hear they are entered from the crypt in St Mary's Cathedral (that door at the back with the skull and crossbones on it) and many other places too.

There is an interesting trap door in the street level of the Tholsel (town hall) that may lead to them, as well as that tunnel in the Rose Garden of the castle and I'm sure there are many other entrances. Surely St. Canice's Cathedral and St. Kieran's College have entrances too...

Does anyone know anything about them, or even been in them?

from what i heard there was a tunnel from the castle down to kytlers pub and this used to be somewhat of a brothel, where the upper classes from the castle could come down and have abit of fun without anyone seeing them enter , or take them back which ever worked best i surpose!! fact or fiction not sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

yeah mick from what you've heard.....don't think ill be rolling with you anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mick T

yeah mick from what you've heard.....don't think ill be rolling with you anytime soon

what ya mean by this then ray?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

ah just some stuff you've been letting slip over the last few weeks mate;)
    So has anyone actually seen inside any of these tunnels??

Yeah, I really want to know if anyone has ever been in them. That's the important thing, speculation is all well and good but without actual evidence the whole idea's pretty redundant. Pictures, anyone?

Would alot of these tunnels not have collapsed by now?
    there would be still evidence of then, (the colour of the soil is different, remains of timber supports perhaps, finds, pieces of metal, there may be a stone slab or something that would mark the exit of a tunnel if it was used as a means for escape)

KatCookie wrote: »
    Would alot of these tunnels not have collapsed by now?
    there would be still evidence of then, (the colour of the soil is different, remains of timber supports perhaps, finds, pieces of metal, there may be a stone slab or something that would mark the exit of a tunnel if it was used as a means for escape)

The system would have been designed during Strongbow's town plans in Kilkenny and probably used barrel vaulting rendering them virtually incollapsible. However you probably are right- they may have been destroyed by Cromwell, although he may also have kept them and used them himself, he did use St Canice's Cathedral as a stable and base and could have used the tunnels from there as access but then again they may have been blocked up by hiding monks. There's only one way to find out...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yes. Time to take up KatCookie's suggestion of having a Boards Beers in search of tunnels :D

Advertisement