Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Castleknock Station to Blachardstown

• 13-08-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi there,

So I got my results of the leaving today, and I think I will most probably going to ITB, but I'm just wondering, If I were getting the train from Connolly, what stop would be closest to Blanchardstown? There are three stations that I noticed - Castleknock, Coolmine & Clonsilla. Which of these would you say would be closest to Blanchardstown centre / ITB?

Any help, would be greatly appriciated :)

Cheers,

Tim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

Castleknock would be the closest, not to say that its particularly close though...it'd be a fair trek...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

Thanks a mill for the info, well do you know if there is a bus from there to Blanchardstown? and how long a trek... I don't mind a bit of a walk :D

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Tim131 wrote: »
    Hi there,

So I got my results of the leaving today, and I think I will most probably going to ITB, but I'm just wondering, If I were getting the train from Connolly, what stop would be closest to Blanchardstown? There are three stations that I noticed - Castleknock, Coolmine & Clonsilla. Which of these would you say would be closest to Blanchardstown centre / ITB?

Cheers,

Tim

The bus would be much easier and closer than the train.

38B bus goes direct from City Centre to IT Blanchardstown, and the 38, 38A, and 38C passing outside the main gate.

All depart from Hawkins Street - would save you a massive walk.

Times are at www.dublinbus.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

From Castleknock station you can catch the 38 bus that goes close-ish the ITB. Otherwise it's maybe a 30 minute walk, I'm thinking it's about two miles.

Thanks very much KC61 :)

That helps loads, will check it out, its just akward, coz I'm from Greystones, and would have to get the DART to town and then get the Bus. Wheras I was hoping to be able to stick to the train line, Greystone -> Connolly -> Castleknock -> (walk/Bus) ITB

But cheers, will definately take it into consideration :)

Edit - Cheers Polar101, that could be good, will check out Dublin Busses website ;)

Thanks guys for the help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Would storing a cheap bicycle at the station be an idea so you can spin up to ITB?
    And I mean so cheap you won't care if it's stolen.

It's just that the bus to Blanchardstown is slooooooooow and it'd be better to get the train if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Hi there,

Cheers,

Tim

"Castleknock" station is in Blanchardstown but the IT is some distance away from Blanchardstown village. The station is quite near the village.

The old Blanchardstown station was where the M50 roundabout is now but when they moved it to its current position they changed the name. The railway has never run through Castleknock.

It should be possible to catch a bus in Blanchardstown village to the IT.

Thanks all :)

Will try commuting one day during the summer to see which route is my best option, and how long each take.

The information has helped me a lot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ITB is here: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.405349,-6.378433&spn=0.002437,0.004807&t=h&z=18

Castleknock Station is here: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.38178,-6.370225&spn=0.004876,0.009613&t=h&z=17

http://www.mkmap.com/dublin - suggests the 38 and 38b connect the two.

Shop around - there are different ticket options available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Just to add, if you do choose to walk or cycle, the attached image gives you an idea of the trek involved- up into Blanchardstown Village, through it and across the N3 onto the Snugborough Road, then cut across Corduff to get to the campus. I wouldn't recommend the walk!
    Castleknock-ITB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

Don't forget the pedestrian underpass beneath the N3. It would trim a good few minutes off that trek and give you more of a direct route to the college.

I've done a similar trek through the area before, and it isn't that bad to be honest. You will need to give yourself plenty of time, and the weather is always a factor. If you cycle, it's a short run. It would be a good idea to get a cheap cycle and keep it at Castleknock.

It is possible to bring a Folding Bicycle on board DARTs and Commuter Rail. They look crazy, but do cycle just as well as the regular kind. Trick is, they can be pricey and hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Why not get the 40D?

It will leave you at the roundabout north of the DIT place(just outside pic on Blanch Rd North) with maybe a 15 minute walk downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Train to Castleknock and then UrBus to ITB. UrBus runs pretty regular and goes straight into the college.

Goes from outside Castleknock station too.

I wouldn't recommend using the pedestrian underpass on the n3 either. Someone was attacked there a few years ago and someone was murdered pretty near there too a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Train to Castleknock and then UrBus to ITB. UrBus runs pretty regular and goes straight into the college.

Goes from outside Castleknock station too.

I wouldn't recommend using the pedestrian underpass on the n3 either. Someone was attacked there a few years ago and someone was murdered pretty near there too a couple of years ago.

It felt dodgy sometimes, I'll give you that. However, during college and commuting hours, there's lots of folk heading through it, and seems fairly safe. Although that said, I was always belting through it on a bike!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Polar101 wrote: »
    From Castleknock station you can catch the 38 bus that goes close-ish the ITB. Otherwise it's maybe a 30 minute walk, I'm thinking it's about two miles.

I'd estimate at least 45-50 minutes. It'd keep you fit, but I'm not sure it's all that practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Thaedydal wrote: »

as Thaedydal the urbus goes direct from castleknock staion to ITB this would be ur best option

jjbrien wrote: »
    as Thaedydal the urbus goes direct from castleknock staion to ITB this would be ur best option

Indeed it does, but the OP cannot get an integrated ticket with that service, having to buy a separate ticket, whereas with the Dublin Bus routes a bus/rail weekly/monthly ticket can be purchased.

KC61 wrote: »
    Indeed it does, but the OP cannot get an integrated ticket with that service, having to buy a separate ticket, whereas with the Dublin Bus routes a bus/rail weekly/monthly ticket can be purchased.

Yeah but waiting on a Dublin Bus is like smacking your head against a brick wall in that area of Castleknock. Only one bus goes through it and very irregularly at that.

Yeah but waiting on a Dublin Bus is like smacking your head against a brick wall in that area of Castleknock. Only one bus goes through it and very irregularly at that.

The 38 is every 20 minutes in the peak and every 45 minutes or so in the off-peak, while UrBus is hourly - I'm not sure why you're recommending a service with a lower frequency and a higher fare, with no cross-tickets with the trains?

I appreciate that UrBus starts only a couple of miles away, and is fairly easy to predict as a result, but the 38 shouldn't be that difficult to predict as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The 38 is very hard to predict and the service is nortoriously known for ghost buses and for being too full to pick people up once it leaves the city centre on a work day morning.

The Urbus can be tracked online, has a student rate fair ten journey ticket and is a lot more reliable and goes the closest to the college.

It's €1.10 from Castleknock to the ITB... you'd have to pay that with Dublin Bus anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

karlr42 wrote: »
    Just to add, if you do choose to walk or cycle, the attached image gives you an idea of the trek involved- up into Blanchardstown Village, through it and across the N3 onto the Snugborough Road, then cut across Corduff to get to the campus. I wouldn't recommend the walk!
    Castleknock-ITB.jpg

Take about as long to walk that as it does for the 38A to fooking turn up!!

38A is unreliable in my experience, worked out that way for a year using the train and bus. I used to get the train to get the bus before the one I should have got because the service was late that often.

If your in college that won't be as big an issue of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

If your travelling from greystones I recommend getting the DART to Tara st and walking around the corner to Hawkins st and getting the 38/A/B (As folks have said the B goes direct to the park but since it goes through castleknock it can get caught badly in traffic which is the same with the 38. The 38A heads up the Blanch bypass and then through ballycoolin but often works out faster and more likely to get you to your lecture on time.
    I commuted to the park for a good while and the A was always the best option. (During the summer its fine you can grab any of em)

Thanks guys, appricate the help, that urbus thing looks good 1.10 aint bad for a bus. So that gives me even more options. But according to the timetable it takes about 40 mins to get there, so I might be able to walk it in that same time :P But the bus from Hawkins street seems good too, where would that leave me though? and how far away from the IT would it be?

But cheers for the info, I appriciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

The 38 will leave you in just before the roundabout at the entrance to the park (Its about 3 minutes more of a walk than if you got the 38B. The 38A will drop you just up the road before the roundabout (adds a few more minutes to your walk)
    The thing about getting to the park is that it is fine in the morning but getting out of there is a different story. If you finish for 5 I'd recommend jumping on the 38B from the park and getting it as far as castleknock station and then hopping onto a train to begin your journey to greystones as often traffic coming in is pants. If you are there till 6 then there is a 38A from just to the right of the roundabout as you leave the park at around 6.10 - 6.15 that will get you into town pretty quickly and can be usually relied on.

Play around with www.mkmap.com/dublin

OK cheers guys n gals.

I've been offered a place in ITB, and I accepted :)

I think what I'll do is get the train from Greystones to Tara, walk to Hawkins Street (on google maps, looks less than a 5 minutes stroll) then get what 38 stops by, but the 38A looks like the one to get, as it's a fairly direct route into Blanchardstown.

Sorry for asking loads of questions, but in the morning, if I were to get a bus at 8.00AM how long would it take to get in, if I had a lecture at say 9.00 would I be on time, or would I be cutting it very short?

I'm looking at Irishrail.ie and it tells me, that two trains get into Tara st in the morning, 7.35 and 7.53, would the 7.35 option be better? or could I just about make the 7.53? :P

Thanks for the help, you have been fantastic :)

I think try the earlier one and see how that works. Realise that on different days that traffic can vary immensely, wet days often being the worst.

• Advertisement

Congrats Tim131, well done!

You'd get down to Hawkings street in 5 minutes no problem at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

if I were to get a bus at 8.00AM how long would it take to get in, if I had a lecture at say 9.00 would I be on time, or would I be cutting it very short?

Exactly what I want to know too because that 8:00a.m bus from hawkins is especially for ITBers and it suites me down to the ground location wise!

Advertisement