Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coolant warning light on a 318

Options
  • 13-08-2008 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭

The coolant light is on in the dashboard could I just fix it myself by topping it up or does it need to go to a garage?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yes you could top it up yourself with the appropriate coolant...

I presume its an E46, when the light comes on the coolant is quite low, so you'll need a fair bit of coolant, also if the expansion tank is very low you'll need to open the little bleed screw on the upper rad hose, and fill the coolant till some comes out of this hole. Its good practice anyway to open the bleeder when filling up.

The more important question is why is your coolant low? You'll need to get to the root cause of this, before any damage is done, it could be as simple as a €0.5 O-ring that's leaking a little....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yes you could top it up yourself with the appropriate coolant...

I presume its an E46, when the light comes on the coolant is quite low, so you'll need a fair bit of coolant, also if the expansion tank is very low you'll need to open the little bleed screw on the upper rad hose, and fill the coolant till some comes out of this hole. Its good practice anyway to open the bleeder when filling up.

The more important question is why is your coolant low? You'll need to get to the root cause of this, before any damage is done, it could be as simple as a €0.5 O-ring that's leaking a little....

Thanks for that, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Advertisement