Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biochemistry Degree But Want HDip

• 13-08-2008 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭

I am currently in DIT Kevin St. Studying Bioscience and hope to proceed to do Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology. Now I've always wanted to teach and still want to get my HDip when I finish my Honors Degree.

What I want to know is......What Subjects would I be able to teach at Jnr. and Snr. Level when I eventually get my HDip?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Youd want to really research this ...call the (universally hated by teachers)Teachers Registration Council.These gobsh1tes will probably decide that youre not qualified to teach first years about the difference between plants and animals ....Off the top of my head I guess you would be aiming for Junior Cert Science and Leaving Cert Biology...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Hi,

yep i concur...according to the Teaching Council approved degrees list the Dublin Institute of Technology Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology entitles the holder to teach Biology up to Honours Leaving Cert level. As far as I know once you can teach one science subject to leaving cert this qualifies you to teach science to junior cert.

Make sure this is the degree you will qualify in because you mention biotechnology and i dont see that mentioned in the title. If your degree is not on the list you need to get it recognised separately
    by sending in course details.

You say you are going to 'proceed'. If this procession is to a level 7 or 8 undergraduate degree then i'd say you are grand. However ironnically the Teaching Council do not give any credit really for Masters or postgraduate qualifications. It really is on your UNDERGRADUATE qualifications that the decision is made.

Best of luck

Advertisement