Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stay at home jobs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Eh maybe the problem was with you? Your attitude maybe?

Everyone was chatting generally until you decided to come back with an attitude.

She didn't come back with attitude you pleb.

The "never mind then" comment wasn't meant as a 2 fingered salute, she was saying it to herself out loud as in "(sigh) never mind, I'll just have to try something else (breathe in, and out...).

Not directed at you personally like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

kraggy wrote: »
    She didn't come back with attitude you pleb.

The "never mind then" comment wasn't meant as a 2 fingered salute, she was saying it to herself out loud as in "(sigh) never mind, I'll just have to try something else (breathe in, and out...).

Not directed at you personally like.

Upon second glance it could be read either way. I think it sounds more like my initial interpretation.

Who's to say your right apart from the op? Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to call me a pleb.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... i have alot of experience working as a Veterinary Nurse, .... nothing that allows me to work at home WITH the kids nearby.

In-home pet care? Dog walking (deals with the cabin fever)? Co-ordinate a business that matches teen-age pet feeders to paying customers (you do the customer mgmt and billing and pay the kids ...)

... allows me to work at home WITH the kids nearby.

Ahh, you didn't mention this bit. Be aware that there's a big difference between at-home while hubby is on child-care duty and at-home when you've got 1/2 an eye on them yourself. As an employer, I'd only ever allow working-at-home if I was certain that the employee would not be distracted by caregiving duties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

it was only ment as a (sigh) never mind then.
    Upon second glance it could be read either way. I think it sounds more like my initial interpretation.

Who's to say your right apart from the op? Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to call me a pleb.

Theres a good idea, there is a kennel near by but no cattery around for miles. ty for this, most people now a days have cats rather then dogs (longer working hours less time to walk the dog etc):D
    JustMary wrote: »
    In-home pet care? Dog walking (deals with the cabin fever)? Co-ordinate a business that matches teen-age pet feeders to paying customers (you do the customer mgmt and billing and pay the kids ...)

Ahh, you didn't mention this bit. Be aware that there's a big difference between at-home while hubby is on child-care duty and at-home when you've got 1/2 an eye on them yourself. As an employer, I'd only ever allow working-at-home if I was certain that the employee would not be distracted by caregiving duties.

• Advertisement

it was only ment as a (sigh) never mind then.

Sorry then but I'm sure you can see how it was interpreted that way it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Web Design !

Truck wrote: »
    Web Design !

There's a large wad of incompetents doing this already. Taking advantage of the fact alot of business's don't understand the web or have much design sense.

They end up with a brochure website no-one ever visits. What a bunch of con-men/con-women.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

There's a large wad of incompetents doing this already. Taking advantage of the fact alot of business's don't understand the web or have much design sense.

They end up with a brochure website no-one ever visits. What a bunch of con-men/con-women.

Very true, businesses getting ripped off for a website that could be made in an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DouglasWinthrow

ok so what you are saying is there is no legit work at home jobs that anyone has tried unless you create something for yourself and because im married i cant claim dole..... never mind then.

dont worry , you just dont understand the idea of what goes on here 95% of the time

you may have innocently asked a question , but the actual intent of most people who use this is to just type some "witty" one liner that has very little relevance or practicality to help you in any way

• Advertisement

you may have innocently asked a question , but the actual intent of most people who use this is to just type some "witty" one liner that has very little relevance or practicality to help you in any way

That's the stupidest thing I've read in a long while. When people look for answers in here they usually get them. The OP was already told that there is a place for this which is "work and jobs"

Where is your constructive answer to the op hidden in this post? I can't find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DouglasWinthrow

That's the stupidest thing I've read in a long while. When people look for answers in here they usually get them. The OP was already told that there is a place for this which is "work and jobs"

Where is your constructive answer to the op hidden in this post? I can't find it.

I was actually more trying to take the side of the OP than help directly with the question .

As someone who initally resorted to internet forums to learn and develop a vast knowledge of my interest (on a different board) I always become discouraged when i see people jumping on people about pedantic nonsense such as the use of the phrase "never mind".

Internet boards are such a valubale pool of shared learning and knowledge, and can be of immense benefit to somone with a question/ desire to learn , no matter how specific.

So when someone asks someting and that person is met with a considerable amount of nonsense , i attempt to soften the potential blow of that nonsense and try and cheer said person up.

I was actually more trying to take the side of the OP than help directly with the question .

As someone who initally resorted to internet forums to learn and develop a vast knowledge of my interest (on a different board) I always become discouraged when i see people jumping on people about pedantic nonsense such as the use of the phrase "never mind".

Look I hear what your saying here but the op would have got a "to the point answer" in the work and jobs forum where she was pointed to. If you started joking over there you may get an infraction or a ban.

As I already said the phrase "never mind" could have been interpreted any such way and the op had the opportunity to come on here and clear it up which they did. So now what's the problem you are trying to clear up?

i attempt to soften the potential blow of that nonsense and try and cheer said person up.

At the expense of regular people here who know the ropes?
    Even when it's not the correct place to ask that question?

If I think you were trying to do what I think...a simple link to the work and jobs forum would have sufficed with a short paragraph why. Why you would insult everyone second person who has posted in this thread I don't know!

The reason i put it in here instead is because i was hoping that someone may know of a local company which might offer some kind of work at home job or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

Get pregnant loads, stay at home, mind the kids and let your hubby do the real jobs!

Mind you with the new 9months maternity leave, you could take an office job, keep spewing babies out and only be in the office 3 months of the year! And even then you still have your 20days hols to take!

BTW - this is all tongue in cheek! Just to trying to be funny!

:D:D:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

jasonh wrote: »
    Get pregnant loads, stay at home, mind the kids and let your hubby do the real jobs!

Mind you with the new 9months maternity leave, you could take an office job, keep spewing babies out and only be in the office 3 months of the year! And even then you still have your 20days hols to take!

Fail :p

jasonh wrote: »
    =

yuk yuk yuk:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I think the cattery idea is very good to be honest; esp if you're a trained veterinary nurse.

Also, if you're a lifeguard, could you look into giving swimming lessons; helping disabled kids to swim that sort of stuff,i'm sure there would be a couple of bob in that...or maybe even a part-time life guard??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 iphone newbie

Eh maybe the problem was with you? Your attitude maybe?

Everyone was chatting generally until you decided to come back with an attitude.

You have the most disgusting attitude I have ever seen on an internet forum, and I think your comments in this thread and others show that.

You have the most disgusting attitude I have ever seen on an internet forum, and I think your comments in this thread and others show that.

Get a life. I already apologized when the owner cleared that statement up. Read the thread before posting your comments which I think could be easily flipped around to point at you....you seem to have nothing better for doing than going around picking fights with people - what kind of an attitude is that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 iphone newbie

Get a life. I already apologized when the owner cleared that statement up. Read the thread before posting your comments which I think could be easily flipped around to point at you....you seem to have nothing better for doing than going around picking fights with people - what kind of an attitude is that?

Funny how nobody else jumped to the same conclusion as you did regarding the OP's statement. It didn't take much for you to attack her. I won't pretend I have a great attitude at all, but most of my attitude is directed towards you. You have asked plenty of questions on this forum before yet you attack new posters who have queries.

Funny how nobody else jumped to the same conclusion as you did regarding the OP's statement. It didn't take much for you to attack her. I won't pretend I have a great attitude at all, but most of my attitude is directed towards you. You have asked plenty of questions on this forum before yet you attack new posters who have queries.

In fairness the post you quoted initially was not my first. In fact my first was
    "Now you asked a vague question so you get vague answers. Maybe if you actually posted up what qualifications you have???? I mean what are you looking to do anyway - Wouldn't we all be working from home if we could"

I thought that was quite helpful? I wasn't cutting her off completely. I gave her an opportunity to come back into the thread. I could have put it nicer if I didn't suspect that the op was being smart. I think the original posters harsh comeback to that was in response to the joke about selling your body which she did not understand is the kind of humour that goes on around here.

tbh the more I read that the more it looks like a smart statement - I don't know why other people didn't think that. (but the meaning of the statement is all cleared up now) I know if I was to post that I would have added a smiley face afterwards!

At the end of the day anyways all this whole thing was was a simple breakdown in communication which the op has clarified and which I have accepted now was not intended the way I initally thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

""Now you asked a vague question so you get vague answers. Maybe if you actually posted up what qualifications you have???? I mean what are you looking to do anyway - Wouldn't we all be working from home if we could"

I thought that was quite helpful?"

Well, it wasn't. Just read that back to yourself. 3 question marks... the 'well, wouldn't we all blah, blah, blah' construction beloved of so many bullies...
    It's aggressive and needless and it's what turns so many people off posting on online forums.

Go and be helpful elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

OP if you didn't want to commit to long term childminding another option could be babysitting in hotels that cater for families. It would be mainly in the evening or days if there's a wedding. That way you're not committed and can babysit when it suits. You'd still have time to do something using your vetinary skills during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 caz1301

Hey lostinnappies

Im also looking for some ideas for extra work
    i work 8 hr shift but im home by 3pm so looking for something but with a toddler its so hard
    only things i was thinking was getting a part time job locally for about 3-4 hours in the evening when himself gets home just for a bit of extra cash
    these mortgage rates are just killing me !!!
    or another thing i was thinking was maybe doing afterschool care
    you would only have the children between maybe 3pm and 6pm so would'nt be too hectic ....but wud be better to get local people who know u so therefore u wouldnt have to have childcare qualification stuff etc ....official qualifications i mean ...(as a mother ur an expert but you know what i mean )

what about pet minding for people going on holidays etc...kennels charge a fortune ..and what about people who have horses etc ..no kennels for them :D

sorry for the long reply but looks like u have to explain urself better on this post :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Would it not be a bit dodgy minding kids without insurance? I imagine Creches etc. have insurance incase a child gets injured. Imagine if you were being paid to mind a child and he slipped and hurt himself badly, with the greed thats livid in Ireland you're just begging to be sued, and to make things worse then the Revenue would be after you

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Just want to say if you're going to mind other peoples children in your home I'd strongly advise anyone to take out insurance. You can offset it against any tax liability.

If you're doing school drop offs/collections it is seen as a service similar to a taxi service and most regular motor insurance will not cover it. There is an insurance company that provides insurance for childminders, don't know if I can mention the company but they have recently launched a specific motor policy for childminders and as it turned out in my case it was over €100 cheaper than any of the other regular quotes I got for other companies.

If you don't have another income and are childminding/afterschool care you can avail of the childminder's tax allowance which is €15,000.

I'm a childminder and it's mainly an afterschool service that I'm now providing. If you're considering providing afterschool care now is the time to do it as this is the time of year that parents are trying to find afterschool care with the schools re-opening next week.

Check out Childminding Ireland on www.childminding.ie they provide group scheme childminding and motor insurance through a specific insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

The lesson I think we can all take away from this is don't mess with mums in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 caz1301

i did not mention anything about not having insurance....
    i said not having qualifications as in ...not doing 3 years of college to learn how to mind a child !!!....:confused::confused:

• Advertisement

In fairness the post you quoted initially was not my first. In fact my first was
    "Now you asked a vague question so you get vague answers. Maybe if you actually posted up what qualifications you have???? I mean what are you looking to do anyway - Wouldn't we all be working from home if we could"

I thought that was quite helpful? I wasn't cutting her off completely. I gave her an opportunity to come back into the thread. I could have put it nicer if I didn't suspect that the op was being smart. I think the original posters harsh comeback to that was in response to the joke about selling your body which she did not understand is the kind of humour that goes on around here.

tbh the more I read that the more it looks like a smart statement - I don't know why other people didn't think that. (but the meaning of the statement is all cleared up now) I know if I was to post that I would have added a smiley face afterwards!

At the end of the day anyways all this whole thing was was a simple breakdown in communication which the op has clarified and which I have accepted now was not intended the way I initally thought it was.

Actually it was all settled till you opened your big mouth again. NONE of my statements were intended to be "smart" in anyway i can say NONE of your statements were "funny" in anyway... and as for what normally goes on hear if there were racists comments (instead of sexist -sell your body) going on i would feel the exact same way ....

None of my questions were Vague you just couldnt be bothered reading them in fact even if they were vague ... who cares. And another thing you are the ONLY one who has a problem with it so perhaps the problem is infact YOU.

Having said that i will no longer be returing to this post as i can see it getting no where after all some people "are always right". ttfn

Advertisement