Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gamers Top 100 Games

Options
  • 13-08-2008 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

The list is out :D:D
    And i'm a happy man with No.1
    Many will argue and disagree..but such is life :P
    What makes our one different? It's the way we decide what makes it in. These are not the best 100 games ever. No: these are the games we love.

The ones that have meant something to us in our lives; the ones that cheer us up, that bring us together, that make us feel good.

So you won't see references to X being 'better' than Y here. But how do we decide whether one game is more 'loved' than another?

We must endure the gruelling process of discussing every game we feel strongly about. The only way to make progress was to stand up for the games we loved, argue the case for their high placing, and convince doubters of our true passions.

To get the widest variety into the list, we only consider one game from most series: Medieval II: Total War makes it in as the best example of the series, while Rome does not. With so many games spawning excellent sequels, the list would otherwise quickly fill.

FULL LIST HERE

100-76 http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=194111
    75-51 http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=194455
    50-26 http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=194455
    25-1 http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=194593

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Part Three is on this link, http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=194504

You put in Part Two twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

100 - Starcraft
    99 - Sins of a solar empire
    83 - Lord of the Rings Online

Right, you can shove your list, right there.
    PC gamer is clearly staffed by the terminally thick.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Well to be fair, it's their favorite 100. I never bothered trying TF2 until I saw this list. I played it a bit last weekend & it's actually really good. No. 1 though, I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Don't see why anyone would bother with someone elses top X games list, I like what I like you like crap, it's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Just to point out this list is NOT THE 100 GREATEST GAMES EVER its their favourite games at this point in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Right, you can shove your list, right there.
    PC gamer is clearly staffed by the terminally thick.

Well the link to the voting page has been spammed by every MMO on their news pages, so that's the only reason I can see for that list being so so horrible. I voted for both starcraft and sins :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i used to love PC Gamer

"used" being the optimal word there.

starcraft
    freespace
    red alert 2
    half life
    all should be higher... few others too. cant remember

mechwarrior 3 wasnt on the list and SWAT 4 was.

TF2 is not the best game on the PC ever.

why does the whole list reek of pretentious fanboyness ?

edit - oh and their crappy disclaimer is sh1te journalism imo

Jazzy wrote: »
    i used to love PC Gamer

starcraft
    freespace
    red alert 2
    half life

I like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You're missing the point. The disclaimer tells you that the list IS fanboyism. They're the games THEY loved. They're not hiding the fact. They're embrassing it. Make your own list and you'll see the majority of users here complain about it.

i used to love PC Gamer

starcraft
    freespace
    red alert 2
    half life

For the love of god....please understand that this list isnt the TOP 100 GAMES EVER EVER EVER RELEASED its the Top 100 games they are enjoy the most at this period in time.

• Advertisement

Stev_o wrote: »
    For the love of god....please understand that this list isnt the TOP 100 GAMES EVER EVER EVER RELEASED its the Top 100 games they are enjoy the most at this period in time.

Well the site says "PC Gamer's Top 100".
    So that would lead people to believe that it is in fact of all time rather than current titles, seeing as Half Life and Freespace are in there, who is playing them right now? Go on hands up.

Well the site says "PC Gamer's Top 100".
    So that would lead people to believe that it is in fact of all time rather than current titles, seeing as Half Life and Freespace are in there, who is playing them right now? Go on hands up.

Apparently them. Sure they do it every bloody year so what do people expect *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Why no Halo3, thats gotta be at the top of any best games list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

MooseJam wrote: »
    Why no Halo3, thats gotta be at the top of any best games list

:pac:

When it eventually comes to PC it'll get 6 or 7/10 from everyone, just like the previous versions.

There are too many things I disagree with on that list to bother commenting really. But no surprise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Theres a lot of games in the top 25 i haven't played, i think ill get some and put them to the test.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm not sure TF2 with be in my top 100 Pc games of all time certainly not number 1 - it must be just 1 guy because I cannot see a whole office of people agreeing the Team Fortress 2 is the very best PC game of all time - nonsense
    oh and starcraft no. 100?? has to be in the top 10 I'm not even it's biggest fan but come on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Oblivion in top 10,dear lord i thought it was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay, TF2 MY Hairy A**!!!

Even if its favorite... whats the point doing favorite... and why should we care about it... I can make list of mine favorites, and post it, and you will tell me to take that list, then burn it, then piss on ashes...

And you know, you will be right...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Stev_o wrote: »

yes but u see all the other PC gamer top 100 lists have been their "best games ever ever ever".
    to me this list is just an excuse that they can big up certain games and certain developers and put a big disclaimer at the start that gives them the excuse to do this.
    if they really felt like they did in their disclaimer they wouldnt have numbered them from 100 - 1. they just would have said "heres 100 games we think are deadly with a brief reason why". but they have put them in very specific order, but they try and rationalise that order by their disclaimer thingy. its trash journalism and all they are trying to do is big up their preferred developers. if im wrong TF2 would not have been #1 as there is 10 clear games i can see in the top 25 which are better then TF2... oh but wait, lets lick valve's ass.

and before u think i hate valve or some ****, i actually love HL2 and think its one of the best games ive ever played. i actually love valve in general, but if i had a mag - i wouldnt climb up their bum

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bioshock higher than half-life.

thehehehe. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Cremo wrote: »
    bioshock higher than half-life.

thehehehe. :rolleyes:

Absolute muck in comparison to mah beloved System Shock 2:D
    Quake 1/2/3 should be on that list. Simplicity can be a good thing:p
    Thankfully, they placed the overhyped half life 2 above Deus Ex.
    LoL @ TF2 in num 1 position.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

My god Deus Ex is only second....they clearly being smoking something strong to place it that low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

w00t! TF2 ftw! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

*sigh* another list where all the fanbois come out of the woodwork and start chirping with such insightful responses as "WTF??? ma fav game isn't #1 on sum1 elses list. n00bz!!! this list is teh ghey FAIL!"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Opinions my friend. The hyper-global-meganet is full of them.

....PS: Juinior Vice-President Homer Simpson speaking..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

L31mr0d wrote: »
    *sigh* another list where all the fanbois come out of the woodwork and start chirping with such insightful responses as "WTF??? ma fav game isn't #1 on sum1 elses list. n00bz!!! this list is teh ghey FAIL!"

This only holds true if you can look me in the eye and say that Lord of the rings online is a better game than starcraft.

Well, can you?

here my eye, if that helps

Zergeye2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Azza wrote: »
    My god Deus Ex is only second....they clearly being smoking something strong to place it that low.

Deus ex OMFG its far better than the number 2 !!! its actually something better than first !!! that we dont even KNOW about yet...
    Its the kind of game that wins the entire olympic games in 9 seconds and gets a beautiful super sensual space woman as a prize, a gigantic object that consists of a blend of bronze silver and gold tiberium and tittanium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Nice to see UFO chart so highly but surely Dune 2 deserves to be in the top 25?

I played TF2it on the Xbox and found it a little boring. Maybe it's a different experience on the PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

silvine wrote: »
    Nice to see UFO chart so highly but surely Dune 2 deserves to be in the top 25?

I played TF2it on the Xbox and found it a little boring. Maybe it's a different experience on the PC?

It sucks on the Xbox tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Why?

**waits for derision of PC gamers everywhere**

Advertisement