Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Leaving 09

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

So it is. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

ive read that post before too,lol.
    someones been doing some copying and pasting:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭TheDonMan

Sorry this is a little bit off-topic, and I'm hijacking thread a bit but I didn't want to create a new thread just to ask a couple of questions.

I just finished TY and am going into 5th year so it's time to choose those God damn LC subjects. Currently what I am thinking of taking is Chemistry, Physics and Accounting. I am also thinking of taking up the extra option Applied Maths, which is available in my school however I would have to stay back extra hours for it.

Could anyone who has taken Applied Maths tell me if they think it's worth it? I'm already doing seven subjects, six honors (dropping HL Irish, possibly English). I have a interest in Maths although I am not exactly "the best" at it I feel I could achieve if I put the work in. I managed to get a B in the JC with minimal effort, however my confindence if Maths isn't that high.

I have heard that taking Physics will help me a lot in Applied Maths, is this actually true? Would I be a fool not to take Applied Maths considering I'll already be putting in the work into Physics?

Also, out of my other optional subjects are there any you really regret taking? Again sorry for hijacking this thread but I just wanted to get the opinion of people who have just completed their LC and got their results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

TheDonMan wrote: »
    Sorry this is a little bit off-topic, and I'm hijacking thread a bit but I didn't want to create a new thread just to ask a couple of questions.

I just finished TY and am going into 5th year so it's time to choose those God damn LC subjects. Currently what I am thinking of taking is Chemistry, Physics and Accounting. I am also thinking of taking up the extra option Applied Maths, which is available in my school however I would have to stay back extra hours for it.

Could anyone who has taken Applied Maths tell me if they think it's worth it? I'm already doing seven subjects, six honors (dropping HL Irish, possibly English). I have a interest in Maths although I am not exactly "the best" at it I feel I could achieve if I put the work in. I managed to get a B in the JC with minimal effort, however my confindence if Maths isn't that high.

I have heard that taking Physics will help me a lot in Applied Maths, is this actually true? Would I be a fool not to take Applied Maths considering I'll already be putting in the work into Physics?

Also, out of my other optional subjects are there any you really regret taking? Again sorry for hijacking this thread but I just wanted to get the opinion of people who have just completed their LC and got their results.
    Pick Geography - probably the easiest LC subject...not much different from JC geography and a lot of it is common sense.

I've heard Business is nice aswell....A lot of people repeating do it and say it can be done in 1 year. I'm sure both of these would be easier than Applied Maths, but it's up to you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I did geography because everyone said it was "easy to get an A in". Although I got a B3 without doing much study, I hated the subject for the two years. Pick subjects you are interested in/enjoy.

Dont be mislead into thinking Business is "easy". I personally loved it and got a B1, but its ALL theory. If your good at learning stuff of by heart (definitions and so on) then you'll like it.

Moral: Dont pick subjects based on what other say are "easy subjects".

• Advertisement

Applied maths helps physics more than the other way around. As in, the mechanics section of physics is just a much simpler version of applied maths, with definitions and experiments etc. The way I see it, doing HL Maths + Physics + App Maths comes out as being less than 3 subjects because of the overlap.

I did Applied Maths as an extra subject (did 8), and I definitely think it was worth it. I found it harder than normal maths, possibly because I was doing it outside school, but it seems to involve a bit more problem solving than normal maths... It was worth it as an easy enough A1 in the end though, but I'll warn you that maths was my best subject. That said, the course is short enough and similar problems come up every year (they haven't changed the course in YEARS so if you do loads of exam papers you'll end up covering all the problems they tend to ask), so provided you're familiar with that and capable of dealing with curve-balls (as in understand what you're doing, not just solving by rote), you should be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Ya there are apparently a few crossovers between physics and applied maths. If you recon you are going to take Applies Maths at higher level and get better than a C3 then take it. Especially if you are gonna drop irish and english.

However, i know it might seem like a long way off, but have an idea as to waht you want to do in college, because certain courses require certtain subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I would definitely recommend taking up applied maths. It was one of my most favourite subjects. You say you have an interest in maths which helps, and you most definitely do not need to be "the best" mathematician to do well at the subject.

If you decide to take it up get your hands on aidan roantree's notes. I got them at his classes at the Institute during christmas. Theres also applied maths videos at http://www.examsupport.ie/subjects.php?cat=27 , but at a tenner a pop they aint cheap. And finally, make sure you prepare at least eight questions for the exam. Hope this helps.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭TheDonMan

Thanks for replies everyone. ;)
    blue-army wrote: »
    Pick Geography - probably the easiest LC subject...not much different from JC geography and a lot of it is common sense.

I've heard Business is nice aswell....A lot of people repeating do it and say it can be done in 1 year. I'm sure both of these would be easier than Applied Maths, but it's up to you...

I did Geography at JC and well, I hated it. The subject itself is ok it's just the teacher annoyed the life out of me. She was so boring and just couldn't pay attention even though I didn't mind the subject itself so much. In third year I missed the first month of September due to Appendicitis and complications which followed from that, I ended up just giving up in Geography and going to sleep in every class.

Somehow when the JC came I fluked my way through it (didn't have a clue what was going on) and got a B in higher level. My friend who had been working consistently for 3 year and had put some work into Geography ended up getting a C. So tbh I couldn't do 2 more year of it, after that experience I just can't take it seriously...

Applied maths helps physics more than the other way around. As in, the mechanics section of physics is just a much simpler version of applied maths, with definitions and experiments etc. The way I see it, doing HL Maths + Physics + App Maths comes out as being less than 3 subjects because of the overlap.

I did Applied Maths as an extra subject (did 8), and I definitely think it was worth it. I found it harder than normal maths, possibly because I was doing it outside school, but it seems to involve a bit more problem solving than normal maths... It was worth it as an easy enough A1 in the end though, but I'll warn you that maths was my best subject. That said, the course is short enough and similar problems come up every year (they haven't changed the course in YEARS so if you do loads of exam papers you'll end up covering all the problems they tend to ask), so provided you're familiar with that and capable of dealing with curve-balls (as in understand what you're doing, not just solving by rote), you should be grand!

I don't like the sound that it's even harder than normal Maths seeing as I'm struggling away at normal HL Maths at the moment. But I do like the sound that it will help me in Physics and other subjects. I think I'll try it out for a month or two anyway and see how it goes... if I don't like it I can always give it up.
    However, i know it might seem like a long way off, but have an idea as to waht you want to do in college, because certain courses require certtain subjects.

Yes I was thinking about this. I was originally going to do Business instead of Chemistry because I enjoyed it at JC, loved the teacher and managed to get a A but when I really thought about it I couldn't see myself doing a career in Business.

I ended up going for chemistry in the end because I will most likely end up doing a degree in Science of some sort. I know chemistry is probably more difficult but I'm hoping it will pay off when I go to choose my degree in College.
    I would definitely recommend taking up applied maths. It was one of my most favourite subjects. You say you have an interest in maths which helps, and you most definitely do not need to be "the best" mathematician to do well at the subject.

If you decide to take it up get your hands on aidan roantree's notes. I got them at his classes at the Institute during christmas. Theres also applied maths videos at http://www.examsupport.ie/subjects.php?cat=27 , but at a tenner a pop they aint cheap. And finally, make sure you prepare at least eight questions for the exam. Hope this helps.:D

Thanks for the tip, will remember it for when I'm starting studying for LC. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

blue-army wrote: »

Actually, Geography is one of the harder subjects, statistically speaking anyways. I read that only 3.5% of people got an A1 this year, which is one of the lowest rates. Personally I think it's great. My teacher is good and gives class notes. The only thing about it is, you really have to do work in it. That said, a lot of it overlaps within itself and as blue-army said, it's mostly common sense.

As for Applied Maths, what PurpleFistMixer says really sums it up. It's great in combination with Physics, especially, and Honours Maths.

Oh wait, you've picked already. Dam! :o:D

• Advertisement

TheDonMan wrote: »
    I don't like the sound that it's even harder than normal Maths seeing as I'm struggling away at normal HL Maths at the moment. But I do like the sound that it will help me in Physics and other subjects. I think I'll try it out for a month or two anyway and see how it goes... if I don't like it I can always give it up.
    Well, some may find it easier than HL maths... the maths in itself isn't more difficult, but it requires slightly more thought and consideration than your typical HL question. But yeah, give it a go, and don't go in with the assumption that it'll be difficult. It's perfectly doable!

Advertisement