Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repulsive gravity???

Options
  • 13-08-2008 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Was at an interesting lecture the other night given by Prof. Michael Rowan Robinson, in which he stated that Einstein's General Relativity allows for gravity to have repulsive properties at extremely large distance scales. I've been out of the loop for a while, so just wondering if anyone can clear this up for me a little more???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

That's strange... ...I wasn't aware that it could act at large distances. 'Repulsive Gravity' - for me - is the type of gravity that caused the Universe to undergo a period of intense inflation just after the Big Bang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

Picturing the typical cannon ball on a mattress for a planet in space-time, it's hard to see how it's gravitational force can be repulsive at any point.... But you never know. Any google links for this theory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Nutlog!!!

I found this, seems to equate repulsive gravity with 'dark energy'.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Newtonian/Newtonian_198.htm

Not sure though, I must keep reading!!:D

Advertisement