Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats The Mod-Edit policy?

Options
  • 13-08-2008 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭

Its happened just the odd times in AH so I'm not raging or anything :pac: but I've had my posts edited the odd time for what seems purely the laugh.

And yes, by evening mentioning this I can only dare imagine what will happen to this very post.

For example in the Americanizms Thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055349097&page=4
    javaboy wrote: »
    Yes yes. We covered that earlier. I still prefer to call it petrol though.
    Terry wrote: »
    But "Petrol" has two syllables. That's one too many.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Gasoline: Diesel, Unleaded (aka. Petrol), Premium ;)
    Terry wrote: »
    Humour.

And Then I simply replied "Humor." which was apparently just too classy for Terry to come up with a real retort to, because he then edited the post:
    Yes, Terry. You are correct and I am completely wrong.
    I bow to your awesomeness and will henceforth refer to you as "Captain Awesome".

Which of course is a total misrepresentation of my sentiment for Terry :rolleyes: If he's the captain of anything in my eye, its a sewage barge

And after this old thread was dug-up I noticed one of my older posts had been edited slightly by Karoma
    But look at the Irish situation - went to a Turkish Kebab place the other night and had a sit in (great food - Carlow: if you see an abrakebabra, cross the road and go to a real kebab place biggrin.gif) while this group of girls (all 20 somethings) sat there for 30 minutes and did nothing but heckle the Turkish staff for their english and accents. ... <Herr K attacks> ...

But could I blame the Turkish Kebab place if they wanted to put up a sign saying 'no white people'? Hell no - not with people like that.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54206905&postcount=45

The question: Would you consider it appropriate for someone to go and twist the words coming out of your mouth? I'm thinking "No".

Also include "Moderator Oppression, Injustice, bla bla bla."
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

If that is an accurate representation of what occurred it is complete abuse of mod powers. I would recommend the removal of mods who would manipulate posts in such a manner.

edit: suffered through such abuse on a separate forum, at one stage it resulted in people saving posts as they made them so they could reference what they actually said at a later stage. Ridiculous altogether. I would expect things here to be rather more grown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Tristram wrote: »
    If that is an accurate representation of what occurred it is complete abuse of mod powers. I would recommend the removal of mods who would manipulate posts in such a manner.
    yeah we had a bit of an edit war - but no, Terry's great craic I wouldn't consider de-throning him :eek: or any other mod but just stop messing with a man's posts outside of actual moderating duties.

Context is important of course. Still I am very much opposed to any kind of post-editing that is not absolutely required under moderation rules.

Well to add context, I edited it back, he'd re-edit, and this went on for about half an hour till I PM'd Almighty Cushion and asked him to ask Terry to cut it out. Instead AC put his own spin on my post, which unfortunately made me lol. Good craic as the situation was, he should have left the post in it's original state after he had made his point. Instead after I went to bed and thought the matter was done I came back to it the next day to find it changed again. Now its stuck in its misrepresented form :rolleyes:

I'm not impressed anyway, find that carry-on disappointing. Guess have to wait and see what mods have to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Dosent it say "Last edited by Terry" at the bottom? So why would anyone take it seriously anyway?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Head. Plate. End of conversation.

Nah, its After Hours - expect the craic!

How often do you read through a thread and stop to smell the roses edit tags?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well to add context, I edited it back, he'd re-edit, and this went on for about half an hour till I PM'd Almighty Cushion and asked him to ask Terry to cut it out. Instead AC put his own spin on my post, which unfortunately made me lol. Good craic as the situation was, he should have left the post in it's original state after he had made his point. Instead after I went to bed and thought the matter was done I came back to it the next day to find it changed again. Now its stuck in its misrepresented form :rolleyes:

No you didn't tell me to tell terry to cut it out. You asked me to edit his posts to say make it look like he said something stupid as well. If you link me to the post Terry edited I'll change it back to the way you wrote it.

No you didn't tell me to tell terry to cut it out. You asked me to edit his posts to say make it look like he said something stupid as well. If you link me to the post Terry edited I'll change it back to the way you wrote it.
    srsly? :confused: well then.

Post is here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055349097&page=5

edit: oh snap there it is
    OverPM wrote:
    Terry's having an edit war with me in page 5. you wouldnt want to go to his last post and make him say silly things too no?

Just no more edits then, please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not for me it isn't. There's only one post there by you and it hasn't been edited by anyone. How many posts per page do you use?

Not for me it isn't. There's only one post there by you and it hasn't been edited by anyone. How many posts per page do you use?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56828652&postcount=161

It was the first post on the link. Youre just pulling my chain right

edit: unless of course you have a different setting for Posts Per Page (mines 40) so that explains it.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56828652&postcount=161

It was the first post on the link. Youre just pulling my chain right

edit: unless of course you have a different setting for Posts Per Page (mines 40) so that explains it.

Yep I only have 20 pppp. Post edited back to it's original form.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I thought it was humourous.

Also, I am Captain Awesome.

Captain this :cool:

8Rusted_Boat_Great_Salt_Lake_90__signature-med.jpg

Thanks Cush'. Almighty as evar

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

INTERNETS SERIOUS BUSINESS

The internet, serious ****ing business it would seem...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Meh.
    He still spelt it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

This thread is so awesome it deserves the Sherifu seal of approval.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Anybody who leaves out the u in humour gets no sherifu's from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

yes.. getting mega ownedz by terry is one of those things in life you just gotta take on the chin..

Its kinda like getting owned by the slow kid on the bus that wears a duffle coat in mid summer and licks the window..

Live with it and move on..

Post not edited by Terry: Reason - because i can

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

snyper wrote: »
    yes.. getting mega ownedz by terry is one of those things in life you just gotta take on the chin..

Its kinda like getting owned by the slow kid on the bus that wears a duffle coat in mid summer and licks the window..

Fail.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yep I only have 20 pppp. Post edited back to it's original form.

You are one of the last I expected to have 20 posts per page.

Also, what is the extra p in pppp for? Reminds me of Homers invites for the barbeque.

5starpool wrote: »
    You are one of the last I expected to have 20 posts per page.

Having 40pppp in after hours is just having too much nonsense and shíte on the one webpage.

5starpool wrote: »
    Also, what is the extra p in pppp for? Reminds me of Homers invites for the barbeque.

I've got a stutter.

*runs off crying*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

snyper wrote: »

Sully wrote: »
    Fail.
    Did I miss something??

Did I miss something??
    Everything.

Everything.
    Why for does you hates me? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Did I miss something??

Yes; now take off the ****ing duffle coat.

Tristram: You must have overlooked subsection C of paragraph 93 under the Bye-Laws of After Hours which clearly state that the party of the third party (Known as 'the big mean powah') reserve the right to **** with your: posts, ma and/or livestock.

Overheal: You're upset that you're not upset? What was your point? A-C sorted it now that you actually asked what you meant to ask? Good. We're done here? More happy customers. Yay.
    The post that I edited was not for lulz. You made unsubstantiated claims about a clearly identifiable kebab shop & their staff that could land us in a spot of bother.

Karoma wrote: »
    Yes; now take off the ****ing duffle coat.

Tristram: You must have overlooked subsection C of paragraph 93 under the Bye-Laws of After Hours which clearly state that the party of the third party (Known as 'the big mean powah') reserve the right to **** with your: posts, ma and/or livestock.

Overheal: You're upset that you're not upset? What was your point? A-C sorted it now that you actually asked what you meant to ask? Good. We're done here? More happy customers. Yay.
    The post that I edited was not for lulz. You made unsubstantiated claims about a clearly identifiable kebab shop & their staff that could land us in a spot of bother.
    But what if we're in a crash on the bus while I'm licking the summer windows? All that padded goodness might save my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

But what if we're in a crash on the bus while I'm licking the summer windows? All that padded goodness might save my life.

Like I said, take it off. (Leave the other layers on)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement