Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garage receommendation to fix Mitsubishi in Sanydyford area?

Options
  • 13-08-2008 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,

I am looking for a car mechanic who is familiar with Mitsubishi cars. We have an old (just over 10 years old) Galant and there is a fault with the ABS sensor. probably has eroded and needs replacing... Took it to a garage in Sandyford who said they had fixed and charged a lot but haven't really. Took it back there and was told the guy has gone on holiday :-(. I don't think these guys are familiar with Mitsubishi cars or they are trying to swindle us or both...

NCT is due by the end of this month and I am worried that it will fail as the ABS light comes on on the dashboard.

Also contacted Mitsubishi dealers who would happily take a look at it but will charge 95 euro per hour for labour.

Any recommendation on a garage/mechanic in Sandyford or Stepaside area?

Thanks in advance.

Shalini

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

sth wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am looking for a car mechanic who is familiar with Mitsubishi cars. We have an old (just over 10 years old) Galant and there is a fault with the ABS sensor. probably has eroded and needs replacing... Took it to a garage in Sandyford who said they had fixed and charged a lot but haven't really. Took it back there and was told the guy has gone on holiday :-(. I don't think these guys are familiar with Mitsubishi cars or they are trying to swindle us or both...

NCT is due by the end of this month and I am worried that it will fail as the ABS light comes on on the dashboard.

Also contacted Mitsubishi dealers who would happily take a look at it but will charge 95 euro per hour for labour.

Thanks in advance.

Shalini

If your pushed for time you could just take out the ABS bulb on a tempory basis on the dash..hardly professional advice I know :rolleyes:
    Then get the mechanic to look at it. If your ABS fails your car will still stop
    just without the ABS feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Shalini

Your car won't necessarily fail if you have an ABS light on. I don't necessarily agree with that at the moment but such is life. If it cost you so much money for no result then bring it back to who charged you and keep them honest. There isn't much involved in changing an ABS sensor. When they finished the work, was your light off and then came back on again after leaving the garage or could it be that they forgot to clear the fault code for the problem??? I had a Mitsubishi jeep recently that had an ABS light that was caused by a blown brake light bulb, so check the basics before you go any further!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I know the maxol garage on the Sandyford road does servicing and repairs. I've left my own car in there, but not for anything major so couldn't say how good they are in that regard (I just had a standard service, cost €350, and I was happy with it). AFAIK, €95 per hour seems to be a going rate with mechanics. I needed repairs done to my last car, and nearly everyone I rang was quoting me around that. I ended up getting rid of the car cos the repairs were going to work out costing more than the car was worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sth

Thanks for the advice guys. When the problem with ABS first happened, and the garage we took it to quoted a huge price, we asked them to take the fuse out. This meant that the light came on as soon as the engine was switched on. We thought this might fail the NCT so we are trying to get it repaired.

Currently the fuse is back in and allegedly the part has been replaced. However, when you start, ABS makes a lot of noises and then gives up after a minute and light comes on the dashboard.

Darragh29, thanks for the pointer. Will check the brake lights today.

If that doesn't resolve it though, perhaps I should take out the fuse again and take it to NCT and see whether it fails. Or do you think I should remove the bulb too...? Only I don't know how to remove either...

Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Thanks for the advice guys. When the problem with ABS first happened, and the garage we took it to quoted a huge price, we asked them to take the fuse out. This meant that the light came on as soon as the engine was switched on. We thought this might fail the NCT so we are trying to get it repaired.

Currently the fuse is back in and allegedly the part has been replaced. However, when you start, ABS makes a lot of noises and then gives up after a minute and light comes on the dashboard.

Darragh29, thanks for the pointer. Will check the brake lights today.

If that doesn't resolve it though, perhaps I should take out the fuse again and take it to NCT and see whether it fails. Or do you think I should remove the bulb too...? Only I don't know how to remove either...

Thanks...

Forget about arsing around with bulbs and fuses. This is not going to fix the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement