Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**Attention New Players - Fancy joining a new astro team??** Boardaeux needs you!

• 13-08-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

spoke to Des, asked him about a new thread, he said this was a good idea.

so, we get alot of people coming on here looking for games and every year, we get 3-4 new players coming on board, its that time again.

We expect to loose 3-4 players from our squad for various reasons, same happens every year. if your on here for the first time, I will give you a little background of what we do and need.

* We have a squad of about 17/18 at the moment. Des, our manager wants another 3 or 4 players to bring back up to the 20-mark anyway.
    * This will be our fifth season, up until this one, we had made good progess, finishing 10th, then 7th, then 4th. However, we slipped back this year and lost our progress and finished 7th.We have been hit by Injuries bigtime, with most of our big players missing at least half the games each. at times, we had to bring in mates to make up 11, which tells you how much we got hit. I also think we may have been put in a standard 1 or 2 leagues above there we were (division 5, as opposed to 9 last season).

* We need i think judging on the players that may not be able to play next year, a new Keeper, Right footed Full Back/ Center Back and a Central Midfielder who can dominate games. we also need a bit of strength and power in these positions.

* there are 18 games in the season, you are expected to make 15/16 of those, once you commit, you are part of the team and thats it.

* we play in the dublin astro league, it is excellently well organised, as are we, mainly due to Des our manager. feel free to visit the site at www.astro.ie to see pitch venues (mostly southside). we have a sponsor who has provided us with 2 full kits.

* it costs €120 for the season, which is very cheap considering it costs €1700(maybe more) to enter the team, then we have laundry, balls, bills etc.

* we will have 3 or 4 friendlies, some training sessions, before the season starts. we aim to have a friendly next week and/or the week after also.

* you must be a player that will improve the team, if your confident in your own ability to do so, please join. we have a decent squad, with some very good players.

please post here if your interested in becoming a boardeaux player for the coming season. then we will do the rest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

How often do you play and on what nights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

We haven't entered the league for this season yet but I'd be 95% sure it'd be a Tuesday evening. As the league is played on artificial pitches we play every week. The most important things are that you'd be committed and up to a pretty decent standard with good fitness. Remember, tuesday is a champions league night and simply put, missing matches to watch your team in the pub is not acceptable so take that into consideration before you make a decision. Position,etc is not that important.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I would be interested. I dominate games all the time!

Well if you're interested keep an eye on the Boards Team forum for details of our next run out. Have you played 11 a side before? what's your fitness like? postion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I might be interested. Have a fairly hectic work schedule but commiting to one night a week shouldn't be a problem. I'm working southside too so would be handy for to get to.

Would love the chance of a few run outs before any league games though. Is there training or friendlies going on? Used to play a reasonably decent standard, but have been out of competitive football for two seasons as I've been away. Looking for something more social now. Fitness would be lacking from what it was but would come back with time I suppose.

• Advertisement

Well it won't come back with one game a week unfortunately. To be brutally honest, the area we lag behind the most is fitness. We've a very good footballing side but fitness is lacking throughout the team. If you think you can bring your fitness level up on your own time that's ok. Anyway, no harm in you coming along to friendlies, etc. Keep an eye on boards team forum for upcoming stuff like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I'd be interested in dropping along to a friendly to see what the story is with this, though I don't know if I'd be much use to you. Havn't played 11 a side in a couple of years, and even then I wasn't exactly a world beater.

What sort of level would you equate this league to? Would it be of the level of lower LSL divisions?

Eh, it's difficult to actually equate it to weekend junior football tbh. The standard of football is generally quite good yet the standard of defending in the league is shocking so it's a bit of a mixed bag. Come along sure. Again though, can't stress enough the fact we want players who are committed. No going missing on CL nights!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd jump at the chance if i wasn't overweight and ****e.

I'd fill up most of the goal though, how's that?

Cool, bring some other overweight mates and we'll block it up entirely :D No, as I said, anyone is welcome

• Advertisement

We have a friendly next Wednesday. Post your interest in the boards team forum

Id be interested but two things:

1) Im not the may west at defending despite my frame being suited to it!

2) im better at pickin passes/finishing but u dont seem to need that type of player

3) Id need to know nights because of the fact that I do night/weekend college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

2) im better at pickin passes/finishing but u dont seem to need that type of player

It will more than likely be Tuesday nights, You should come down for the friendly game next week and have a run out.

What we really need are good footballers who are fit. The season start is 6 weeks off so if you can get in shape before then and think you'd be up to standard then come on down. What harm can it do?

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Well if you're interested keep an eye on the Boards Team forum for details of our next run out. Have you played 11 a side before? what's your fitness like? postion?
    I have played all my life! I play RB .Will keep an eye and see.

Ah that's my position. Get lost :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Where is the training match lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I would be interested if i knew it was going to be Santry each week im sure i could make out there when i finish work. I've lost whatever fitness i had but im sure i would get it back after a few weeks training, i wouldnt mind if i started as squad player. I played CM for a few years and wide.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Ah that's my position. Get lost :P
    anywhere across the Back or Midfield really. I'm that good :pac:

I would be interested if i knew it was going to be Santry each week im sure i could make out there when i finish work. I've lost whatever fitness i had but im sure i would get it back after a few weeks training, i wouldnt mind if i started as squad player. I played CM for a few years and wide.

Santry? We play southside. We won't ever play in Santry.

• Advertisement

Where is the training match lads?

Check out the boards team forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Sorry, i should read the thread more carefully next time. I wont be able to sign up with the travel it might not make it each week which wouldnt be very fair.
    Best of luck with the new season and getting players.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd be interested as a keeper, but fitness would be the only and considerable issue.:D

Play irregularly, though have faced Bordeaux twice as keeper for foot.ie and got MOTM the first time...so I know the standard and it's good alright. Got a knee to the head the second time and so that's my excuse, even though we kept youz out in the first half :p

We were under strength for both those friendlies dfx. The standard would be significantly higher than that. Not trying to scare you off though so pop your head into the team forum and declare an interest if you want. We need a new keeper alright

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The standard may be higher, but also surely Bordeaux's defence is better than the onslaught faced on those occasions. Shot after shot after shot..understandably.

Fitness would be my problem (not the biggest problem for a keeper), but I may as well pop along to a friendly.

Yeh definitely no harm in it. Our current keeper is quitting so that's a position we need to sort out.

Hi guys,

Just to keep you updated we have a friendly on Wednesday Night (tomorrow) in Wesley College Dundrum. We're meeting up at 7:15. If you're interested in join the team for the new season which starts in october please come down.

Let us know if you're coming down by posting in the boards team forum...

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Can i just show up if im interested in playing? I actually live right beside wesley, so thats kinda handy...

• Advertisement

Can i just show up if im interested in playing? I actually live right beside wesley, so thats kinda handy...

Yea, I'll add you to the list of player on the boards team forum, what position do you play in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

What's the story lads - any other players out there interested in coming along to Wesley college tonight for a friendly kicking off at 8pm? You'll get a decent run out and be able to suss if it's a good fit for you after that. Sound bunch of lads and a good atmosphere so why not give it a shot? We really are only a few decent players away from being up to fight for winning a league.

Am surprised there's not more interested based on the number of people posting on here - do most of yous already play with a team or are there only a few that south Dublin would suit.....or, perish the thought, is there just loads of armchair supporters on here who prefer talking about it than actually playing ball? Good old reverse psychology always does the trick.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

When is the next friendly match on i can't make tonight but i'd like to give it a go. I play midfield (anywhere across it) I could play right or left full as well. Fit enough as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

emc2 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just to keep you updated we have a friendly on Wednesday Night (tomorrow) in Wesley College Dundrum. We're meeting up at 7:15. If you're interested in join the team for the new season which starts in october please come down.

Let us know if you're coming down by posting in the boards team forum...

thanks

Hey, I wouldnt mind throwing the head in to have a look tonight. How's if for spectating?? Reason is the one i play in Monkstown doesnt facilitate it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Hey, I wouldnt mind throwing the head in to have a look tonight. How's if for spectating?? Reason is the one i play in Monkstown doesnt facilitate it at all.

It's grand for standing on the sideline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Am surprised there's not more interested based on the number of people posting on here - do most of yous already play with a team or are there only a few that south Dublin would suit.....or, perish the thought, is there just loads of armchair supporters on here who prefer talking about it than actually playing ball? Good old reverse psychology always does the trick.
    Yeh, i'd say there's probably a good few that aren't based in Dublin that would otherwise like to give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Des wrote: »
    It's grand for standing on the sideline.

Ha ha, Grand job.

Just to let anyone thinking of coming along to play or watch know - we've just been forced to make a late change of venue to St. Columbas College as there's a problem with the pitch in Wesley.

Post on the Boards team forum or PM me if you need directions to Columbas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Played Right Full back for 10 Years and looking to get going again so i'd be interested. Cheers

egan007 wrote: »
    Played Right Full back for 10 Years and looking to get going again so i'd be interested. Cheers

Are you able to get to the game tonight?

Are you able to get to the game tonight?

That was quick, but sorry no, any other night but tonight.....

• Advertisement

egan007 wrote: »
    That was quick, but sorry no, any other night but tonight.....

Looks like we'll have another game next week anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

what league is this lads, im based in carlow, is this at the carlow astro pitches or somewhere in dublin??

Looks like we'll have another game next week anyway.

Sound, put me on the contact list for that, any idea what night?
    What nights are the matches usually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I could make it tonight. Played centre forward and right wing for juniors, have been playin 5 a side for a year now, but would love to get back into 11 a side. Dont mind where i play really. Im doing my own fitness work on the side as well....let me know

LOTP wrote: »
    I could make it tonight. Played centre forward and right wing for juniors, have been playin 5 a side for a year now, but would love to get back into 11 a side. Dont mind where i play really. Im doing my own fitness work on the side as well....let me know

Do you know where the pitch is?

If you don't, go and ask on the Team forum, and come out tonight.

The more the merrier.

LOTP - come on down tonight for sure - it's all about giving new lads a chance to have a look and show what they can do. Can you make it to St. Columbas for around 7.30? PM me if you need directions or a lift from a Luas stop in that area or Wesley college (there'll be a good few going from there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Ill be driving....i might just head to wesley and follow from there if i can...

LOTP wrote: »
    Ill be driving....i might just head to wesley and follow from there if i can...

Perfect, you might be able to help with lifts too, nice one.

I asked for your position in the other thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Saw this late and obviously missed tonights game

Would love to come along next week and have a go

Played 1st division astro league in Waterford for 4 years at centre half

Have been training with football and hurling since January but both seasons now finished and looking to take up something to keep fit - mid week games suit me

Let me know when next weeks game is on and I'll try my best to make it

Hey tonc76 - if you haven't been in touch already, send a PM to homerjay2005 or post on the Boards Team forum - there'll be a friendly next week so hopefully you can head along to that.

Good few new players showed up and there were some very handy players who'll add to the squad, still need a few more though so if you're on for it let us know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement