Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend brake pads

Options
  • 13-08-2008 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,
    Could some one recommend brake pads for my road bike, i have this bike http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=17883
    Its my first road bike so i'm a bit unsure what to get, usually I'd just go into a bike shop and ask for pads and let whoever's working there figure out what I need, but now that I have a 'proper' bike I'll have to get edumacated about this stuff.
    I've been looking on CRC but I just got more confused, do I need a specfic brand or is it just the type of brake?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You don't need a specific brand, no. Road brake pads usually come in two main types, those that fit Shimano brake shoes and those that fit Campagnolo ones. 3rd party brake manufacturers generally use one or the other's system and 90% of the time it will the Shimano style pads you're looking for.

How do you know one from the other? Well, the Shimano one have a little screw on the back of the brake shoe. The Campagnolo ones don't. Replacing the pads is a straightforward operation and very easy to do yourself.

Aside from the fit, the main difference between brake pads is what kind of rubber compound they use. I've found that what pad you use can have as big a difference on braking as the brakes themselves. Cheap, no-name pads I've found tend to be very hard and don't brake that well. Shimano's own pads are quite good. Ditto for Campag's.

I use Kool Stop pads myself. They've a few different types, but I use the Salmon coloured ones, which are designed for wet conditions and, let's face it, that's year round in this country. They do have a softer compound than many other pads, which means they are meant not to last as long. Having said that, I'm on the same pair for eight months now and there's plenty of life left in them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

Lol I replace my pads every 3-4 months I think... got some shimano branded ones, not sure bout model, they never last that long tho.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

omri wrote: »
    Lol I replace my pads every 3-4 months I think... got some shimano branded ones, not sure bout model, they never last that long tho.

Wear would also be influenced by the rider as well. I'm pretty sure I went through brake pads faster a year or two ago because I was a far more cautious descender and was braking far more.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 GasserOfMattoon

Just had a look at the bike there, looks like they are the 'shimano' type. Found a clip on youtube that showed how to replace them, looks fairly straight forward.
    Thanks for replying.

Advertisement