Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points expiration question

Options
  • 13-08-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

How does expiration work if you get more points ?

2006 - get 2 points (will expire 2009)

2008 - get 2 points (will expire 2011)

But in 2008 will your 2006 points get rolled into the 2008 so that your 4 points will now expire in 2011 (i.e. the two from 2006 do not expire now)

How does this work ??
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

the points expire 3 years from the date of your formal notification so,

points received in 06 expire in 09, points from 08 expire in 11, etc...

points do not "roll-over" they expire seperately...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driving-offences/penalty-points-for-driving-offences

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Yes thats right.What my issue is with the system is , you can wait anything up to three months to find out that you commited the offence.
    WHY ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I was done for speeding in November 2005...I paid the speeding fine YET the points were not implemented on my license until July 2006'....Over half a year later, what a silly delay. My points should have been coming of this november but due to the slowness of the system Summer next year.

Yes thats right.What my issue is with the system is , you can wait anything up to three months to find out that you commited the offence.
    WHY ?

you live in ireland, does anything work efficiently?

if you're not aware you've committed an offence, what difference does it make how long it takes to receive notification anyway?

mondeo wrote: »
    I was done for speeding in November 2005...I paid the speeding fine YET the points were not implemented on my license until July 2006'....Over half a year later, what a silly delay. My points should have been coming of this november but due to the slowness of the system Summer next year.

on the website i linked in my first reply it says that your points should be added 28 days after you pay your fine. did you make any enquiries as to whether poinst could be added so long after the offence?

• Advertisement

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    on the website i linked in my first reply it says that your points should be added 28 days after you pay your fine. did you make any enquiries as to whether poinst could be added so long after the offence?

No I never enquired about that...interesting I have to say I'll have a look at that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

I was caught speeding in April 2006 on Bank holiday and it was Easter.
    And those 2 points were endorsed at the end of the September 2006 which is prolonging the points on my licence for another 5 months. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That something yet to be challenged in the courts. I am surprised that no one has tried that one.

Bobo78 wrote: »
    I was caught speeding in April 2006 on Bank holiday and it was Easter.
    And those 2 points were endorsed at the end of the September 2006 which is prolonging the points on my licence for another 5 months. :mad:

I know how ya feel, i feel i have been screwed unfairly. In fact I'm going to write a letter and query it since it has been brought to my attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

mondeo wrote: »
    I know how ya feel, i feel i have been screwed unfairly. In fact I'm going to write a letter and query it since it has been brought to my attention.

I really dont know how can they do that, i mean if they caught me in April 2006 my points should expire in April 2009 and not in September 2009, that s just not fair what r they doing.
    I hope we can do something about that.
    Let us know what they say to you when you address them about this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can't really see the point (pun) in whining over a few months here and there. What does it matter, insurance wise or else? Your premium doesn't go up until after about 4 points.

"So unfair" ;;

• Registered Users Posts: 12 robin banks

Its basically from the date that the points are accredited to your licence. All the examples of points not going onto licence's for at least 4-6 months after the offence took place are right . I think they have got it down to a max of 2 months now . Its still a peice of dung . Should be from the day you pay the fine .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

biko wrote: »
    I can't really see the point (pun) in whining over a few months here and there. What does it matter, insurance wise or else? Your premium doesn't go up until after about 4 points.

"So unfair" ;;

Well if at some stage they get the system up to speed ans start to issue the point in a reasonable time, then this original delay could be the difference someone getting 12 points or only having 10 points therefore being put off the road for the period of the delay. Unlikely situation but possible

• Registered Users Posts: 12 robin banks

mickdw wrote: »
    Well if at some stage they get the system up to speed ans start to issue the point in a reasonable time, then this original delay could be the difference someone getting 12 points or only having 10 points therefore being put off the road for the period of the delay. Unlikely situation but possible
    A bit like the situation with that woman who was caught speeding on 5 different occassion's on the N4 at Liffey Valley but didn't realise she was speeding till all these her fines started arriving one after another. I'm mean every time i get caught for speeding I drive like Driving Miss Daisy for about 6 months after.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

"So unfair" ;;
    If they're going to be pedantic about peoples' exact speed...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

<pedantic>N4 at the Spa hotel</pedantic>

She deserved it. She was caught 6 times IIRC!
    She came onto the N4 at the Leixlip slip opposite the Spa and claimed that although she saw the flash, she was too preoccupied on trying to merge from the slip road to have seen the several speed limit and camera signs. The fact that the camera is several hundred metres from the slip road seemed to have escaped her!
    IIRC she had just gotten her first provisonal licence and had started driving.
    If thats how she learns to drive the the roads are surely safer with her off them!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kbannon wrote: »
    <pedantic>N4 at the Spa hotel</pedantic>
    I wasn't talking about that woman - I was making the point that, if you're an agency responsible for issuing penalties for not following the rules, then you have to follow the rules to the letter yourself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Anan1 wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about that woman - I was making the point that, if you're an agency responsible for issuing penalties for not following the rules, then you have to follow the rules to the letter yourself.
    Well done.
    But I was responding to robin banks' post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

"So unfair" ;;

It matters because the rules are the rules, if we have to follow them so do they. Try putting off paying a tax bill for a year and a half and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Woops

• Advertisement
Advertisement