Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are you now?

Options
  • 13-08-2008 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Irelands mass of Anti War protestors? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Doing school exams which don't involve history or law? :D

Big country invades small country and these heroic protesters who i backed on the Iraq war are nowhere to be heard nor seen, hypocrisy. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how are you completely missing the fact that georgia sent troops into SO first and kicked this entire thing off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

As I have been informed elsewhere, please stay on topic. Which is locating our brave Anti War protestors.

A reward may be issued for their safe return.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

*raises hand* Here's one! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Maybe its because of the poor history and geography curriculum in the schools that these protesters were not taught about obscure world conflicts and relied on the media to inform them? (Iraq/US)
    Just an idea :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

how are you completely missing the fact that georgia sent troops into SO first and kicked this entire thing off?

They were provoked by separatist's firing mortars and small arms provided by Russia at Georgian positions so the Ossetians/Russians are just as much responsible. Georgia shouldn't have reacted the way they did but they should not have been provoked in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Why aren't you protesting in the streets? Why not organize them yourself? Remember if you want something done, you should do it yourself and not expect others to do it for you.

Perhaps, the fact that Russian jets aren't landing here on there way to bomb Georgia, maybe that why there aren't protesters. Just a taught.

Also, why aren't you out protesting the Congo conflict? Why aren't you asking about protesters for that conflict?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

As the sector here is already saturated with experienced protestors I thought it best to let them do what they do best. As an amateur I am sure I would only get in the way and give them a bad name.

Times are tough, this is no niche market!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

watching there just now John McCain said "in the 21stCentury countries dont invade one another" ohh the ironing, this is soooo gonna come up on the daily show tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Well, for ignoring the simple fact that SO as you call it is firmly inside the Georgian border this goes a long way. As a result this region falls under Georgian sovereignty and as a consequence gives Georgia the right under international law to deal with it's internal affairs as it pleases as long as human rights are respected. This also includes putting down an externally sponsered insurrection as long as the rules for "civilised warfare" are being respected, if not there's the UN to deal with the problem.

In this case the Russians didn't even bother to get a Security Council resolution to end Georgia's actions against South Ossetian separatists, they just flew in the bombers and rolled the tanks into Georgia. In my opinion this makes it an illegal invasion and intervention in a souvereign state's internal affairs.

If this was directed against a bit of disputed border territory in for example Latvia instead of South Ossetia in Georgia what would you have to say than ?

Fortunatly Mr. Poetin isn't as stupid as to attack the EU or NATO directly.

Yeah well, the anti-war protestors...it looks like it's easy bashing the US ( whose invasion and occupation of Iraq I don't agree with at all ) and ignoring the fact that someone is trying to resurrect the USSR and all the benign humanitarian blessings it stood for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

And the pro-war crowd get to enjoy the TV spectacle without it being ruined by mobs of annoying anti-war protesters..

Apathy at its finest. I don't mind human beings killing other human beings but what bothers me ten times more are the anti-war crowd being selective about which wars they protest against..

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I think one thread is enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement