Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

unclear speed camera photo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

kayos wrote: »
    There is something that says your reg plates must be of the correct type/font/size and clearly readable at all times. I'm no law head but I am pretty damn sure you have to keep them readable.

How often is this law enforced? I see quite a number of non-regulation number plates every day.
    One classic I saw yesterday was 03-G-4735 on a Evo 5 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

OTK wrote: »
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    remind us... what is the law against a dirty number-plate?

SI 13/1958 - Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations.

5. No person shall, either by writing, drawing or in any other manner, alter, deface, mutilate or add anything to any licence for any vehicle, nor shall any person exhibit upon any vehicle any licence which has been altered, defaced, mutilated or added to as aforesaid, or upon which the figures or particulars have become illegible or the colour has become altered by fading or otherwise, nor shall any person exhibit any colourable imitation of any licence or any licence which has been issued in respect of another vehicle or any licence which has become void.

If your plate is dirty, you have let the figures or particulars become illegible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

OTK wrote: »
    Very good. After all that they still got caught. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Bobo78 wrote: »
    I d recommend her to send that back to them and to deny about that being her car.
    That shouldn't be necessary. She has the right to remain silent, and to not incriminate herself. She doesn't have to say 'that was/wasn't my car', it is up to the authorities to prove it was.

Her case is that the number plate was unclear, so it may not have been her car.

That said, if they do have a mind to pursue the matter, they could potentially match the photo to the car by matching scratches, marks, dealer stickers etc. Combine this with the fact that there are unlikely to be any other cars of the same make and colour which could match the unclear plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

She has the right to remain silent, and to not incriminate herself. She doesn't have to say 'that was/wasn't my car', it is up to the authorities to prove it was.

As several posters have already noted, this is the way to collect double points, a bigger fine and a court apearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Completely Correct

speed1.jpg

That doesn't look too clear to me. :eek:

Her case is that the number plate was unclear, so it may not have been her car.

That said, if they do have a mind to pursue the matter, they could potentially match the photo to the car by matching scratches, marks, dealer stickers etc. Combine this with the fact that there are unlikely to be any other cars of the same make and colour which could match the unclear plate.

You really think they will be able to match scratches? Get real, it's not a murder case. All they need is the full photo.

I'd also like to see her try to get out of it. It seems like a lot more hassle than it's worth though.

It seems like a lot more hassle than it's worth though.
    Agreed. They are better things to be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Some of the "challenge it" posts on this thread are hilarious. Its reminds me of the old story that used to knock around of "pay your speeding fine by more than the amount and you wont get the points if you dont cash the refund chq!"

Yeah OP, tell your mate or whoever to challenge it, she'll be the first person to try and swindle the system! What a hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Surely if it's a wicklow regged car whatever the make or model with a number close to his it's just a matter of going to the registration database and finding it, there's only a couple of possibilities and the make/model/colour have to match, doesn't have a hope I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Zube wrote: »
    As several posters have already noted, this is the way to collect double points, a bigger fine and a court apearance.

Now now Zube. If you read the whole post, you'll find that I agree with you. I wasn't advocating anything, just taking up a previous poster on a point of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Just say you never recieved the fixed penalty notice. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

At least one person has been told to prove that they didn't receive other post during that time by the judge. You'd likely win on appeal due to the fact that there is still no proof that you got it - but this would not be worth €80/2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

MYOB wrote: »
    At least one person has been told to prove that they didn't receive other post during that time by the judge. You'd likely win on appeal due to the fact that there is still no proof that you got it - but this would not be worth €80/2 points.

That may be, but most Judges are throwing the cases out. The judge I suspect in that case is just frustrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

FX Meister wrote: »
    You really think they will be able to match scratches? Get real, it's not a murder case. All they need is the full photo.

They'll have the whole department working on it:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

errm do they not go out by registered post these days because of abuse of this defence excuse?

nialler wrote: »
    Surely if it's a wicklow regged car whatever the make or model with a number close to his it's just a matter of going to the registration database and finding it, there's only a couple of possibilities and the make/model/colour have to match, doesn't have a hope I'm afraid.

Wow, how come nobody else in the thread thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

miju wrote: »
    errm do they not go out by registered post these days because of abuse of this defence excuse?

No got one a month or two ago by normal post! The summons will be hand delivered though if you ignore it!

• Advertisement

miju wrote: »

Sister got one three weeks ago and wasn't registered. She's playing the didn't get it card.

Sending them out by registered post would eat into their bottom line. All the administration required to manage and monitor notices would cost too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

On the subject of obscured licence plates, in the last week I have noticed four cars with their rear licence plate bulb assembly dangling down and blocking a clear view of the plate. Coincidence or contrivance? You tell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

5. No person shall, either by writing, drawing or in any other manner, alter, deface, mutilate or add anything to any licence for any vehicle, nor shall any person exhibit upon any vehicle any licence which has been altered, defaced, mutilated or added to as aforesaid, or upon which the figures or particulars have become illegible or the colour has become altered by fading or otherwise, nor shall any person exhibit any colourable imitation of any licence or any licence which has been issued in respect of another vehicle or any licence which has become void.

If your plate is dirty, you have let the figures or particulars become illegible.

That is not a law against "dirty" plates. Did you actually read that before posting it? It doesn't even mention dirt!!! It's a law against changing your plates on purpose!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

"upon which the figures or particulars have become illegible"
    That is not a law against "dirty" plates. Did you actually read that before posting it? It doesn't even mention dirt!!!

I'm no Garda or lawyer, but I'd expect that allowing your plates to become so dirty that they can't be read by a Gatso could also be read as allowing the figures to become illegible...

AudiChris wrote: »
    "upon which the figures or particulars have become illegible"

I'm no Garda or lawyer, but I'd expect that allowing your plates to become so dirty that they can't be read by a Gatso could also be read as allowing the figures to become illegible...

who said anything about allowing? have you read the thread? a picture was taken, the plate is unclear because of dirt or something, someone said "they might do her for having a dirty plate" there is NO LAW against a dirty plate. There are laws against changing your plate on purpose to make it illegible!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

who said anything about allowing? have you read the thread? a picture was taken, the plate is unclear because of dirt or something, someone said "they might do her for having a dirty plate" there is NO LAW against a dirty plate. There are laws against changing your plate on purpose to make it illegible!!

To spell it out:

nor shall any person exhibit upon any vehicle any licence which has been altered, defaced, mutilated or added to as aforesaid, or upon which the figures or particulars have become illegible or the colour has become altered by fading or otherwise,

Read just the bolded part:

nor shall any person exhibit upon any vehicle any licence upon which the figures or particulars have become illegible

If your car has become so dirty that the figures are illegible, it's not road legal.

It does not say the figures have been deliberately made illegible, just that they have become illegible by fading or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

i.e. you have a legal responsibility to make sure your plates are legible before using the car on a public road

try reading lads... it's a law against deliberately causing your plate to become illegible or deliberately allowing it to become obscure...

shall:- plan to, intend to, or expect to

• Advertisement

This is going around in circles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement