Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

picture on front of kilkenny people

Options
  • 13-08-2008 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Did anybody see the Kilkenny people paper today? Why did they feel it necessary to put a big picture of the poor fella who died in the river on the front page? It showed him lying dead in the river, whats up with that? Have they no respect, it sickened me and as someone who lost a family member in a drowning it really upset me. am I being over sensitive or does anyone else think this is in really bad taste.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

My father thought it was a horse at first then read the articial and then looked at the picture before it downed on him it was a body.
    Bloody clowns at KK people anyway. Should be ashamed of themselves. I hope the family sue KK people:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Either someone is getting sacked for putting it up when the paper gets sued or it's a desperate attempt to get people to buy the paper. Either way it's disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

fraido wrote: »
    Did anybody see the Kilkenny people paper today? Why did they feel it necessary to put a big picture of the poor fella who died in the river on the front page? It showed him lying dead in the river, whats up with that? Have they no respect, it sickened me and as someone who lost a family member in a drowning it really upset me. am I being over sensitive or does anyone else think this is in really bad taste.
    am horrified to hear this,do the newspaper mentioned really have to go to these depths to sell a bloody paper....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I haven't seen the paper yet but I'd agree with the rest of ye that it's in very poor taste. I thought only the Voice would plumb such depths but clearly I was wrong. It's understandable that they'd have it as the front page story but a photo is a step too far. Apart from being upsetting for the man's family, I don't think I'd like younger children to be seeing a picture like that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Especially after one of the tabloids got a roasting during the week for doing the same thing. Muppets :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

whats there phone number, anyone? Im, going to ring up and give them a good bollicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I was surprised to see that picture as well but the hard part was that the rescue services just seemed to be standing talking and in no emergency to find if there was any life in the body.

I sure the people just printed the picture because the other paper did as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

I saw that too and thought it was awful. Even the word they use "corpse" must be very distressing for the family or friends of the man to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

I read the report online. Poor man, a Co Clare soldier. That is discracefull journalism. His family must be in bits. What is the circulation for the Kilkenny People like? They should be ashamed of themselves ,woeful, inept and very disrecpectful. I would be mortified reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Shocking stuff. The public body watchdog should step in here and start throwing out some serious fines. I can't believe that they thought that photo should be news. That same photo was shown in The Mirror too, during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Its definitely something you'd expect from the Voice alright. Bit of a surprise from the People to be honest. All they had to do was crop the photo.

And there is an Arts Festival in town at the moment, a few pictures of kids enjoying the weekend parade might have been a bit more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

pics or Linky please? im not a fan of KK newspapers but this seems interesting- yet bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

there on the back. Not as attention grabbing as a body in the river. Scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭StudentEmeritus

I thought this was more The Voice's territory tbh.

I haven't seen it, but I trust you guys... This is sick if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

I thought this was more The Voice's territory tbh.

How do you qualify that remark?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

It would be interesting to find out if the KP circulation will be down this week because of it.

Everyone is giving out about it, but the best form of protest is not to buy the paper and look at the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

<picture snipped>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Namesco wrote: »
    I think this picture is still disgusting an am only putting the picture up here for the purpose of discussion for the people who haven’t seen it and will take down soon.

oh my god.... i didnt realise it was so graphic.
    the depths they went to... they should be boycotted for this

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Thanks Namesco for so perfectly illustrating the hypocrisy of people discussing something like this.

If it is so awful - why is it ok for you to post it here, and not the KP to put it on the front page?

I havent' bought the paper this week, and I intended not to look at the picture because I know if it was a member of my family in that situation, I would hope people would do the same.

If it was your brother/friend - would you still have posted the picture?

There is absolutely no necessity to do that. We are intelligent enough to figure out the whole point without an illustrated guide.

Take it down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

People living in Kilkenny just sign a petition and and send it on to the Kilkenny People saying how much they are appalled by the front page of the paper. Strongly worded emails and even a letter sent representing the boards members should also be considered. This is truly awful and they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. Earlier I said I would be mortified reading that report and after seeing the front page now I am truly shocked and stand by my previous statement. They should hang their heads in shame and apologise next week for what truly is inept and disgraceful journalism. Poor man. The Arts Festival is also currently on right now and they chose to show an image of a deceased man with his face down in the water. Appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Perhaps Namesco should put that as a link with a warning rather than posting it in the thread. Like this:

Graphic Image

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've removed the picture. If anyone really wants to see it that badly, go look at the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Today's news is tomorrow's fish and chip wrapping. Honestly by this time next week the front of the People will be forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

OMG. I was in a funeral home recently, and not only had they a picture of a corpse there, they had the real thing in a box. Who do I complain to? This kind of thing can't be going on in civilised Ireland...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

testicle wrote: »
    OMG. I was in a funeral home recently, and not only had they a picture of a corpse there, they had the real thing in a box. Who do I complain to? This kind of thing can't be going on in civilised Ireland...

Thats a bit different now. You choose to go into a funeral home and that's what you expect. You don't expect to pickup the paper and see a picture of a dead body in the river. Its distasteful and bad journalism. It shows no respect to the family of the bereaved either.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

There is a difference between seeing a body in their coffin and one face down in a river while "Hundreds of people pass by the corpse"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Glad to see that this topic was brought up. A really, really bad call by the KP editor Tom Molloy (who's in the final couple of weeks of his contract and leaving at the end of the month). His defence on radio the other day of his decision to run the pic was so lame it would have been put down had it been a horse.
    But let's not have any nonsense about how "public watchdog bodies" should be fining the People. There are no such bodies and no such powers to fine newspapers. Let's live in the real world, eh?
    Nor will anyone boycott the People as a result. They'll moan and whinge, but sales will not suffer in any way. As some poster said, we are hypocrites indeed.
    By the way, in addition to this stunning exercise in bad taste, the People has managed to defame two upstanding citizens of Kilkenny in the past couple of years, resulting in front-page apologies and substantial damages. Are we still going to say that the Voice is the tackiest local rag?
    Testicle: you are a tool. Literally.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Purry_Cat: Personal abuse is not permitted on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Two other points.
    The deceased's family cannot sue. They have no grounds on which to do so. More wishful thinking on the part of some posters here.
    And Plug, did you really ring up the KP and give them a bollocking as you claimed you would, or do you merely reserve your hot air for this site? Presumably the latter, seeing as you were unable to locate a phonebook or ring directory enquiries for the People's number.
    Anyway, their number is 056-7721015. Do let us know how you got on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Have some respect for the people of the deceased. they could be fellow Boardsies for all you know!!
    i'd be pretty sure that they wont sue because there will always be Someone -for example a new member of Boards who doesnt know how things run around here- criticising them or Worse. and i'm sure they dont want anymore publicity about their son while they are grieving!

Advertisement