Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundcard

Options
  • 13-08-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Right lads, Looking for a new soundcard to work with logic.

Budget around a grand or so. Pres would be nice but not essential at all. Just some analog ins and good quality converters.

RME?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭fitz

The Apogee Ensemble isn't much more expensive than your budget...
    I'm sure Paul'd look after you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

RME multiface or digiface are the best options IMO. You get PCIe performance. Using a digiface I can record up to 26 tracks at once on 32 buffer with no issues. The ensemble uses Apple's own firewire drivers. That is one HUGE reason why I would not get one. There were initially problems with variable latency when you turned the computer off and back on, and cpu spikes. Whereas RME are an audio company and stable drivers are their number one priority, Apple have much more important things going on and it took them a long time to get the ensemble drivers working well.
    I am using the digiface to get 24 adat I/O but you can get 8 analogue and 8 digital and spdif I/O but no mic pres.
    If you are using a laptop disregard all of the above and get a fireface instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

rme.ive got the multi face.lovely card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

THats a great post track thanks. Will look into that. On them buffers im imagining negligable latency on monitoring effects etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

if your using a mbp you can get expresscard adaptors for it(i got one,works great)rme that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

fitz wrote: »
    The Apogee Ensemble isn't much more expensive than your budget...
    I'm sure Paul'd look after you :)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

it took them a long time to get the ensemble drivers working well.

That's true ... I saw a nearly working Ensemble 18 months before the fecker came out. It then took another 6 months or so before the drivers settled down.

However Apogee and Apple work closely hand in hand , after all the Ensemble Control is integrated into Logic directly.

However I've never heard a bad word against RME.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Well I have seperate Pres, Can anyone reccomend some ad/da I can just hook my pres to? Might be the cheapest option?

Advertisement