Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair warning resulting in infraction.

Options
  • 13-08-2008 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

In this topic in the Politics forum I recieved an unfair warning. I take issue with post number 177 from The Minister, who made an incorrect assumption in an abrubt and rude manner. I replied to this and recieved a warning for it, unfairly in my opinion. I don't believe The Minister had the right to post post 177 without reprimand, while I get reprimanded for my reply.

In post 181 oscarBravo has a crack at humiliating me by saying I have nothing of value to say. I have plenty to say on the subject and I don't feel I was out of order in my posts. Especially with the example set by moderators and others.

My reply informing The Minister and oscarBravo resulted in an infraction being issued to me. I believe this to be a tag team tactic and also unfair.

I'm a member of these boards for years and I truly believe I've been treated extremely shabbily in this matter.

Edited to add;

I believe this stems from a personal disagreement, not any rule breaking. I'd also like to add it's not long since I was proposed by some members in the shooting section to be considered to become a Mod myself.

Would that strike any right minded person as a trouble maker?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Please add a locked topic and two PM's which oscarBravo hasn't had the good manners to reply to.

Some moderator.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Your first comment:
    johngalway wrote:
    Perhaps you should take your own advice.

This smart arse comment added absolutely nothing to the thread. You got warned for it.
    So you decided to say this to the Mod:
    johngalway wrote:
    This is a public forum. Under it's own rules people are entitled to an opinion. I can disagree with other peoples opinions as I see fit as long as I stay within the rules of the forum.

If you don't like what I have to say, you have the right not to read it.

You got infracted for arguing in the thread, once again adding nothing to the subject. That was in breach of the charter, the infraction was deserved.
    Count yourself lucky that it was only an infraction and not a ban.

So it's accepted on Boards that mods have the right to talk down to and insult ordinary members? That's some impressive standard of moderating.

How about the smart arsed comment issued by The Minister to me, how about the blunt and insulting comment issued to me by oscarBravo? BOTH with out provokation by me.

So you are saying that you didn't get my explaination above?

I got it, I don't understand why you take that view though. Did you read the thread, I had contributed to it and intended on contributing further. it was The Minister holding me up so short that started this, there was no need for him to do it that way. By the way he has said to me in PM that he was quite short with me about it. When a person feels they're being insulted or belittled what are they supposed to do? oscarBravo just hit me with a warning out of the blue, there was absolutely no need when a civilised PM would have sufficed.

Look up my membership on here, suddenly I turn into boards most wanted over night? I don't think so. I believe I'm being treated unfairly.

• Advertisement

johngalway wrote: »
    it was The Minister holding me up so short that started this

At which point you should have reported his post instead of engaging in on thread arguing.
    When a person feels they're being insulted or belittled what are they supposed to do?

Hit the report post icon and let a Mod deal with it.
    oscarBravo just hit me with a warning out of the blue, there was absolutely no need when a civilised PM would have sufficed.

I would have thought you have been posting on Boards long enough to know this is not how it works.
    Mods are not oblidged to drop PMs.
    The charter is there and if you know the rules then you would understand the way that bans work.
    In my 6 years on this site, I have never dropped a PM to warn someone. It's done on thread and sometimes not at all. I don't have time to hold peoples hands, neither does oscarBravo.
    Look up my membership on here, suddenly I turn into boards most wanted over night? I don't think so. I believe I'm being treated unfairly.

I'm afraid I disagree. It's an infraction for bad behaviour on the thread. Not the end of the world and deserved.
    If you don't understand that then I imagine it won't be your last.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Let's get down to the basics here. You responded to a tit-for-tat from the Minister. oscarBravo came on thread, gave a non-specific general reminder to keep on-topic and a warning to you privately to remind you to go and read the charter before posting again.

So you argued with that reminder. oscarBravo gave you the benefit of the doubt and reminded you of the forum rules, despite having just asked you to go and read them;
    The moderators will not discuss their moderating in the Politics threads. Either PM the moderators, or take it to the Admin forum.
    You continued to argue.

So you got an infraction - a slap on the wrists to say, "Stop it, don't do it again".

This has no bearing whatsoever on your ability to use the site. The reason for the infraction was 100% justified - you broke the rules, continually.

Arguing about a moderation decision on-thread is against the rules because it interrupts the thread and drags it off-topic.

You seem to be quite active on the shooting forum, which would indicate that you're simply unfamiliar with how the rest of the site works - the shooting forum is given something of a bit of slack because those using it tend to know eachother and have discussed the topics outside of the site. They also have a tendency to go on a major whinge fest if a moderator even says "boo" to them. So we let them away with it on the understanding that they keep to themselves.

I suggest that you familiarise yourself with the rules of each forum before you engage in a topic on it as every forum has different rules, and what may be tolerated in one forum is often not tolerated in another.
    You're being treated very fairly and in line with your membership. Someone with less of a history and who was less articulate and clear would have been banned for
    1. Arguing with a moderator's decision within the thread
    2. Continually

Because you have a history, you got nothing more than a slap on the wrists - a direction to go and read the rules before posting again.

Throwing your toys out of the pram and saying that you're not going to post here again is a bit like emigrating because a Garda asked you to "move along there please". I suggest you examine your own behaviour in that thread, compare it to the rules and then get a sense of proportion.

I still hold my view I was treated unfairly. I am leaving boards.ie because of this. It's not a matter of throwing ones toys out of the pram. It is about standing up to people who've made a bad call and refuse to admit it. You are quite welcome to your website if this is the way in which it is to be moderated, I will not be contributing further to it.

A rest from Boards is a good idea John.
    If something like a little infraction can get you so upset it's time to take a step back.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

suddenly I turn into boards most wanted over night? I don't think so.
    I don't think so either, you are exaggerating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement