Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote for complete deregulation of the Eircom DSL netowrk.

Options
  • 13-08-2008 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Im sick of the idea of people having to first signing up for an Eircom line before they can get broadband from an non Eircom DSL Company.

This is a joke and is anti competitive. Sales of DSL broadband in this country are Sh*t. People should vote for this with their feet and stop using Eircom services. They are a joke and the supposed upgrade of their network is well behind the likes of NTL and the like..This really needs to change.

The question i ask is.. What can we as consumers do to speed this up? And get Eircom to cop on!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

The question i ask is.. What can we as consumers do to speed this up? And get Eircom to cop on!!!!

Nothing. Next question...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Voting with your feet only really works if you leave dsl altogether. Eircom make money on all dsl connections. That doesn't really leave people with many options. Anyways I'm holding out for upc. Shouldn't be long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Take your phone & broadband service from UPC if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

BendiBus wrote: »
    Take your phone & broadband service from UPC if you can.

They dont service this area ATM..Hard luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Eircom do actually own the entire network. Blame the government, cos it was their idea to give it away. On another note, I don't remember the opposition kicking up a fuss about it either. Blame ourselves for having stupid politicians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Eircom do actually own the entire network. Blame the government, cos it was their idea to give it away. On another note, I don't remember the opposition kicking up a fuss about it either. Blame ourselves for having stupid politicians
    It wasnt the politicians( who had to deregulate anyway ) it was the employee share holders that agreed for it to be sold on as they held a majority vote, and your average joe public got rightly screwed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

lmimmfn wrote: »
    It wasnt the politicians( who had to deregulate anyway ) it was the employee share holders that agreed for it to be sold on as they held a majority vote, and your average joe public got rightly screwed

It should have been broken up first, the network kept and the rest sold

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

PogMoThoin wrote:
    It should have been broken up first, the network kept and the rest sold
    Let me see... if Eircom went tomorrow, who'd fix the lines when they went down? I'm talking about the main lines, not the last loop.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

the_syco wrote: »
    Let me see... if Eircom went tomorrow, who'd fix the lines when they went down? I'm talking about the main lines, not the last loop.

You don't understand the idea. Eircom should have been split into two separate companies, a retail company and a company that owns and looks after the network. Some Eircom employees would have ended up in the retail side (mostly the sales, marketing, phone biddys and some engineers), while others would have ended up in the network company (mostly engineers to look after the network and a few others).

The government could have completely privatised the retail side, while running the network side as a semi-state (like they do with ESB, Bus Eireann, etc.)

BTW this is exactly what the government are doing with the ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

*Votes* Digiweb Metro FTW!

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    The government could have completely privatised the retail side, while running the network side as a semi-state (like they do with ESB, Bus Eireann, etc.)

ESB and Bus Eireann both charge the public money, and are both have little to no competition. Heck, Eircom has more competition that ESB does. Also, electicity goes down ESB wires, and people go on buses. Data and voice go down phone lines.

Call coming in. more on this later.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

bk wrote: »
    You don't understand the idea. Eircom should have been split into two separate companies, a retail company and a company that owns and looks after the network. Some Eircom employees would have ended up in the retail side (mostly the sales, marketing, phone biddys and some engineers), while others would have ended up in the network company (mostly engineers to look after the network and a few others).

+1 - They should be split into a wholesale and a retail division. At the moment all the "wholesale" people have a vested interest in the retail arm doing well and so you could imagine that eircom orders would get preferential treatment over competitor orders. Maybe it doesn't? but an eircom engineer told me a while back that he could tell from the job number which orders were which and he always did the eircom ones first (while trying to reassure me that I should stay with eircom because they get fixed first)...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Im sick of the idea of people having to first signing up for an Eircom line before they can get broadband from an non Eircom DSL Company.

Those non-eircom DSL companies wouldn't be prepared to install their own lines (expense, sparse nature of installs, common sense, etc.), so look to eircom's network (the minimum amount of it they can use; the last mile) for a viable option.

While those companies choose to use eircom as part of their offering, there will be a requirement to have an eircom line.

2 obvious consumer-focussed rules procedures that could be implemented would be the requirement for new phone lines to carry DSL, or no fee is charged, and to make that service available on a wholesale basis. That way you can ring Smart/BT Ireland and ask for a new DSL line. They manage the order, and deal with eircom (like they do now) via wholesale channels. If your line installs and is DSL-worthy, then bingo. If not, no skin off your nose (or Smart/BT Ireland's). If the line isn't DSL-worthy and meets minimum distance requirements for ADSL2/+ then any install costs should be absorbed by eircom if they fail to deliver it.

cgarvey wrote: »
    If the line isn't DSL-worthy and meets minimum distance requirements for ADSL2/+ then any install costs should be absorbed by eircom if they fail to deliver it.
    By this logic, BT/etc could pass everyone, and let the costs be absorbed by Eircom: no hair off BT/etcs back?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ESB is to be split into Network and Generators.
    They will sell the stations, but eircom experience has left them wary of selling the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

lmimmfn wrote: »

When have employees ever owned a majority share in Eircom or Telecom Eireann? Up until the time Eircom was floated the majority shareholder was the government.

Advertisement