Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking ticket for a written off car.

Options
  • 13-08-2008 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

I just got a parking ticket for a car which I owned but was "written off" at christmas, all documents we're signed, what do I do about this. needless to say im not happy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

I just got a parking ticket for a car which I owned but was "written off" at christmas, all documents we're signed, what do I do about this. needless to say im not happy.
    what date was on the ticket??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Was a garage involved? Where were all the papers sent to and who allegedly sent them?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Don't worry about it, just let your local Garda station know. I had the same thing, got a ticket months after a car I owned was written off. The car was probably an insurance write off, but still feasible for someone to fix up and put back on the road legally. It just means that the garage who took the write off didn't forward the change of ownership document when they should have.

Might be no harm to write to the Vehicle Registration Office with a copy of the ticket and just let them know you no longer own the vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Cheers Paulo, will write to them tomorrow, thought that the insurance co. would sort that out. was written off at christmas. thing is F**Kin loved that car... Honda Accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Was the Accord badly damaged? Could it have been repaired do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Could be that someone's using the plates from the write-off on another car?

This was fairly popular in London when they introduced the ANPR congestion charge - number plate theft also soared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

First thing that crossed my mind was number plate theft. You would be very supirsed how easy it is to do and get away with. I'd be onto the gardai either way anyway to sort out the matter ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you get an End of Life certificate?
    Maybe that's only when you turn car in yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

First off you need to look at the ticket to see who issued it. It may be the Gardai or a local authority. Secondly get onto your insurance company because when they wrote it off and gave you the insurance money, they essentially bought it from you. More than likely it was sold onto a scrap yard and they in turn fixed it up and sold it on.

Simple advice to anyone selling a car or having it written off or whatever, always, always send off the log book yourself with the new owner details be it garage, private sale or insurance company. Any messing with car afterwards will not come back to you on fines etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

+1

Always send off the paperwork yourself, never trust anyone else to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Had something similar happen to me when my old car was written off. Out of curiosity what insurance company was it? Quinn Direct were the crowd I was dealing with.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

a+ technically they bought it off me, i guess..just put me out of pocket for a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

they declared my car "uneconomical to repair" so bought it off me. BTW Quinn are the biggest shower of cowboys one of the stunts They tried was to refund expenses which were less than what I was out of pocket for.:rolleyes:

I contacted the Tax office on numerous to see what the story was but they said id have to talk with Quinn as they essentially bought the car off me. So rather than fcuk about for another 2 weeks on who the car was registered to I contacted my Solicitor and it was sorted by the end of the week.:cool:

Advertisement