Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI ATM Machine in Petrol Station

Options
  • 13-08-2008 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

I won't name the station as it's really not their problem, but -

Today I went into said station to purchase some petrol. As I had no cash I inserted my BOI Pass card into the BOI ATM present in the station. I tapped in my PIN, and selected the amount of money I wished to withdraw. When I pressed the button next to the amount the screen did not change and froze. I cancelled the transaction, removed my card and attempted it again only to get the same result. I cancelled that and removed my card.

Upon using my Credit Card to pay for the petrol I returned home to discover that the amount I requested had been fully withdrawn from my own bank account. So..I wanted to be sure if I've done everything I could possibly do to ensure that I get my 60 euros credited back to my account:

i) I contacted 365 customer care and informed them of the situation. They informed me to wait a day or two as the machines will automatically lodge any excess that would have been unaccounted for in the machine..and if not to file for an investigation in my own local branch tomorrow.

ii) I went back to the petrol station and explained the situation to the staff who stated that they will inform any other customers who have the same difficulty. I will also speak to the manager in the morning about it.

iii) I confirmed that they have CCTV on the machine..so hopefully they'll see me shaking my head and not being impressed with the machine should it go so far as an investigation.

Is there anything else one can do to cover all bases? I just dread that after walking out of the station that the money decided to pop out on it's own and be snatched by someone else walking by. It may only be €60..but it's a full tank of petrol afterall ;).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I won't name the station as it's really not their problem, but -

Today I went into said station to purchase some petrol. As I had no cash I inserted my BOI Pass card into the BOI ATM present in the station. I tapped in my PIN, and selected the amount of money I wished to withdraw. When I pressed the button next to the amount the screen did not change and froze. I cancelled the transaction, removed my card and attempted it again only to get the same result. I cancelled that and removed my card.

Upon using my Credit Card to pay for the petrol I returned home to discover that the amount I requested had been fully withdrawn from my own bank account. So..I wanted to be sure if I've done everything I could possibly do to ensure that I get my 60 euros credited back to my account:

i) I contacted 365 customer care and informed them of the situation. They informed me to wait a day or two as the machines will automatically lodge any excess that would have been unaccounted for in the machine..and if not to file for an investigation in my own local branch tomorrow.

ii) I went back to the petrol station and explained the situation to the staff who stated that they will inform any other customers who have the same difficulty. I will also speak to the manager in the morning about it.

iii) I confirmed that they have CCTV on the machine..so hopefully they'll see me shaking my head and not being impressed with the machine should it go so far as an investigation.

Is there anything else one can do to cover all bases? I just dread that after walking out of the station that the money decided to pop out on it's own and be snatched by someone else walking by. It may only be €60..but it's a full tank of petrol afterall ;).

If there is any discrepencies the machine should balance itself and refund you the amount involved. If doesn't happen happen after 2-3 days contact your branch.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

TBH, this is a common query, it sounds like there was a software problem with the machine. As Stepbar said, in a lot of cases the machine refunds the account on it's own. If not, the machine will not balance when they go to refill it. Should happen within 24 to 48 hours after you used the machine. If not contact your branch, they will send up a form to the atm control centre and they will be able to resolve it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Similar thing happend to me just now. Think there might have been an attempt to steal the money (€200). When the money didn't come out I tried to lift up the flap and noticed what I thought was a corner of a note but when I pulled it out it was a folded up piece of paper. I'm thinking that maybe this was to stop the notes coming out fully but that they could be fished out later some way. The screen stayed at "please take your cash" for maybe up to five minutes, then the ATM rebooted and came up with the Out Of Service message. Checked at another ATM and the withdrawal was listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

shayser wrote: »
    Similar thing happend to me just now. Think there might have been an attempt to steal the money (€200). When the money didn't come out I tried to lift up the flap and noticed what I thought was a corner of a note but when I pulled it out it was a folded up piece of paper. I'm thinking that maybe this was to stop the notes coming out fully but that they could be fished out later some way. The screen stayed at "please take your cash" for maybe up to five minutes, then the ATM rebooted and came up with the Out Of Service message. Checked at another ATM and the withdrawal was listed.

Did you contact your bank? (and also whatever bank operates the ATM). All banks have a 24 hour service for these type of things (number should be on your card). You should have also mentioned it to the shop in case they noticed anyone suspicious near it or if they have CCTV cameras aimed at it (this would also prove that no money came out for you should the ATM provider claim that everything worked).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I had something similar happen to me too but no money was ever taken out of my account. I tried to take money out at an ATM but just before it was about to spit out the money, the screen went blank and didn't go back to normal for another 10 minutes.

I rang the number on the machine and they told me the ATM rebooted (it'd be nice if the machine told you what was going on rather than just going blank). This was probably because my card was scratched in some way. The only thing I could do was order a new card from my bank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

dotsman wrote: »
    Did you contact your bank? (and also whatever bank operates the ATM). All banks have a 24 hour service for these type of things (number should be on your card). You should have also mentioned it to the shop in case they noticed anyone suspicious near it or if they have CCTV cameras aimed at it (this would also prove that no money came out for you should the ATM provider claim that everything worked).
    The "24 hour" fraud number is 8am to 8pm, according to the recorded message! Rang the next morning and they told me to go into my branch. Went in a filled in a reconciliation form. They weren't interested in the CCTV side of things. Said it could take up to six weeks until I get my money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

I had an incident the other day where I tried to withdraw ~€650 abroad (in foreign currency), and the ATM told me my "financial institution declined the transaction".

At first I thought the daily limit had been reduced due to the recent scam, and I went to another bank and subsequently withdrew the amount I needed. I then returned home only to discover when I went to online banking that my account had been debited for both transactions. Obviously given the sum of money involved, I called my Irish bank ASAP, and logged the issue with them. The novice CSR didn't really sound convincing regarding sorting out the issue, so I called back and got a completely different resolution from another CSR.

I had to complete a disputed transaction form and fax it to my branch, and they will investigate it with the bank who operate the ATM. They also said I would be refunded the amount immediately, and they would follow up the query with Cirrus/foreign bank, and if there was a further issue they'd take it back. I also called the local branch here to ask if there had been any problems with their ATM, but they said they hadn't received any complaints. They also advised me that ultimately I can go to the branch with a cope of the statement and they can investigate it from their end.

I've faxed the disputed transaction form to my branch in Ireland, so I'll leave it with them unless I don't see a credit of the funds in the next day or two.

Advertisement