Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vw polo advise

Options
  • 13-08-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi. i just went to view a vw polo 1litre 01 but need some advice from u gurus before i consider buying :) mileage is 96000, its in really good condition only thing is when i took for test drive there was a whistling noise when put into 5th gear...what problem could this be, would it be serious. mechanic is giving a full service before selling for 3300euro thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Hi. i just went to view a vw polo 1litre 01 but need some advice from u gurus before i consider buying :) mileage is 96000, its in really good condition only thing is when i took for test drive there was a whistling noise when put into 5th gear...what problem could this be, would it be serious. mechanic is giving a full service before selling for 3300euro thank you in advance

1lt polo's with hand on heart are one of the slowest cars you can buy... I
    have never driven anything slower, even a 1lt corsa with it's 3 cylinder engine was faster. God the memories..
    Go for the 1.2 model or 1.4. Otherwise their fine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Are you buying private or from a garage?
    If NCT is expired shortly will garage guarantee it will pass?
    Is there a service history with the car, if so when was timing belt changed last?
    Does it have an NCT, if so for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭memeandmark

nct until aug 09, buying from garage...there was 3 previous owners didnt have service history but said would service it before giving away...what do u think :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I think its a fault with the gearbox. Not necessarily a problem, have had a few cars with the same sort of thing and they ran fine......

You should be able to find a better one out there though, its a buyers market at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Big_Mac wrote: »
    You should be able to find a better one out there though, its a buyers market at the moment...

Yes I agree, the price of it is good but with the question mark over that noise from 5th I would look elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Gearbox failure on Polos and Seat Ibizas from this era seems to be a common enough occurance. I know someone who had to get a gearbox replaced in a '98 Polo (low mileage for age), and I've seen it happen to other people here. I'd avoid if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭memeandmark

dearler said he would check out the noise and also give me a years guarantee on gear box :confused:

Advertisement