Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking at the docks.. round dun aengus

Options
  • 13-08-2008 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

so was lookin at an apartment in aengus house.. just past dun aengus.

anyone know who controls parking around that area or anyone live in dun aengus who'd lease me their spot?

really need help here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i think it's the harbour board.
    a lad i know arrived to his car at 5 past 8 one morning to find it'd just been clamped. Beware! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I was living beside the docks but have no idea who control the parkings there.. Maybe it's public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

dont think its public.. gonna hav to find out pretty soon. how much wud renting a space be do ya think? i have no idea at all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

All the parking spaces (including the main road) around the perimiter (sp?) of the Docks is controlled by the Galway Harbour Company, and BEWARE, IT'S 24HOUR PAY AND DISPLAY :eek:

You'll prob get away with it at night, but i'd have the car moved very very early in the mornings if I were you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

two of my friends have had cars clamped down there while we were drinking in someones house in dun aengus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Clamper are ferocious down there.
    Maybe you can get a residents parking permit for the area. You need to be on the electors list etcetera for the address http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/ParkingPermits/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

biko wrote: »
    Clamper are ferocious down there.
    Maybe you can get a residents parking permit for the area. You need to be on the electors list etcetera for the address http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/ParkingPermits/

I don't think this would apply. As I said this area is controlled by Galway Harbour Company, not the City Council

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I know that business' on the docks used to be able to get resident passes, but I'm not sure about the tenants of the apartment blocks. You could try the harbour masters office and see.

Also check with your landlord; some of those apartments have secure parking.

As others have said, it is 24 hour pay and display, and there is NO leniency down there; the guy who does the clamping down there would clamp his own mother. And he does seem to operate 24/7/365.

Alternatively, you could try getting contract parking in the likes of Jurys and Hynes' carparks; it costs around e140 per month or e1,400 per annum, IIRC, and it's 24 hour access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I lived down there before and the landlord had rented the space for our apartment to someone else.

Parking was terrible. You couldn't sleep in properly on a Saturday or anything. You'd have to be up at 9 to put money in the meter...then you would have to get up at 11 again and 1.

I used to go out the back entrance to work in the mornings and regularily I would see the clampers driving up the road to find someone without a valid disk - they come up every morning it's just I didn't meet them every morning.

The worst thing about clampers is that they will do you even if the traffic isn't a problem - ie. sparse parking not causing any problems.

Should there be new changes made here or would it be too complicated and messy?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Should there be new changes made here or would it be too complicated and messy?

I suspect it's complicated and messy: if the Harbour Boards is controlling the parking, that makes me thing they own the land that the streets are on. Maybe there's some kind of leasing deal with the council (they let the council have a road there, in return for the parking revenue or somesuch). I don't know this, am merely guessing. But it is odd that they control on-street parking and with different rules to the surrounding streets.

Back on topic: if you're living on the docks, do you really need a car? I'm two blocks away, and cope very nicely without one. I rent a car for the weekend every few weeks, for doing those annoying shopping trips etc, and reckon that I spend less on the rental than I would on parking+insurance alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jaunte

I lived in Dun Aengus until a few months ago.

The spaces across the road (right next to the water) are owned by the harbour board. I've seen some cars there with permits from the Harbour Office near the Harbour Hotel, but I imagine they're for boat owners or the like. I don't know for sure. They clamp like crazy over that side.

The spaces right outside Dun Aengus/Aengus House (where you park end-to-end) are owned by Aengus Management Company. You can get permits from their offices on Dominick St, they used to be about €200 for 3 months. Unfortunately it can be difficult to get a space there, because those spaces fill up before the harbour ones, due to them being about 10c cheaper for Pay and Display.

And they too clamp like crazy! :D

Ps. the permits are for either the Aengus House spaces or the Long Walk spaces - not both, boo

I lived in Dun Aengus until a few months ago.

The spaces across the road (right next to the water) are owned by the harbour board. I've seen some cars there with permits from the Harbour Office near the Harbour Hotel, but I imagine they're for boat owners or the like. I don't know for sure. They clamp like crazy over that side.

The spaces right outside Dun Aengus/Aengus House (where you park end-to-end) are owned by Aengus Management Company. You can get permits from their offices on Dominick St, they used to be about €200 for 3 months. Unfortunately it can be difficult to get a space there, because those spaces fill up before the harbour ones, due to them being about 10c cheaper for Pay and Display.

And they too clamp like crazy! :D

Ps. the permits are for either the Aengus House spaces or the Long Walk spaces - not both, boo

i rang up and ur rite.. 200 for 3 months. wonder if they do a cheaper one year deal, lik average cheaper per week.

girl in the office said no one ever complained about not gettin a space.. is that jus bad lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Bear in mind that even with the pay and display down there, you have to go to different machines depending on which side of the road you park on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jaunte

turf wrote: »
    girl in the office said no one ever complained about not gettin a space.. is that jus bad lies?

Well they were usually pretty full during the day (9-5) with commuters. I used to get home around 4pm and about once or twice a week I'd have to wait about 10 or 20 mins for a space. But if you arrive later, it should be no problem (although the traffic's much worse.)

So no, it's not terribly bad, and depends on your schedule.

well i'd only be gettin back there bout half 5 in the evenins so parking shud be grand so..

now to decide if 133 a week is within my budget

turf wrote: »
    well i'd only be gettin back there bout half 5 in the evenins so parking shud be grand so..

now to decide if 133 a week is within my budget

Even if you get back at half five you will have to wait until 6 or 6:30 to pay for the ticket that lasts until 9 the next morning.

Otherwise you have to put in enough to last from half five to 6 and then come back out at 6.

With a budget of 133 you could do alot better. In fact 133 is a rip off if you don't even have a space to park. We were only paying 83 euro each. (same complex)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I can get the clamp off your car for a small fee...without damaging it (the clamp or your car) in a few minutes ;) I'm joking about the fee but I can let you know how to get them off...if you are so inclined that is. What are they going to do? Phone the Gardai? The gardai don't give a sh*t about clamping by private companies. I think it's actually illegal to clamp someones car anyway because they are effectively stealing from you the use of your property!

I hate those clampers. They are supposed to give you a 10min warning before they clamp, but they don't do it. I know because I was clamped recently and now I know how to get them off :)

I can get the clamp off your car for a small fee...without damaging it (the clamp or your car) in a few minutes ;) I'm joking about the fee but I can let you know how to get them off...if you are so inclined that is. What are they going to do? Phone the Gardai? The gardai don't give a sh*t about clamping by private companies. I think it's actually illegal to clamp someones car anyway because they are effectively stealing from you the use of your property!

I hate those clampers. They are supposed to give you a 10min warning before they clamp, but they don't do it. I know because I was clamped recently and now I know how to get them off :)

Good man. I think most of them see it as a pure revenue device - f*ck them.

If somebody pays for parking from 6 - 9am and they clamp you at 9:10am when there's tonnes of spaces that's very wrong. If somebody is taking the piss or causes any obstruction put four clamps on I say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's the property of the Harbour Board, they can bring in any rule they like. there are plenty of signs around indicating that clamping is in force.
    If somebody pays for parking from 6 - 9am and they clamp you at 9:10am when there's tonnes of spaces that's very wrong. If somebody is taking the piss or causes any obstruction put four clamps on I say.

You are only paying to park until 9am.

Even if you get back at half five you will have to wait until 6 or 6:30 to pay for the ticket that lasts until 9 the next morning.

Otherwise you have to put in enough to last from half five to 6 and then come back out at 6.

With a budget of 133 you could do alot better. In fact 133 is a rip off if you don't even have a space to park. We were only paying 83 euro each. (same complex)
    well rent is 117 a week.. and the permit is 200 for 3 months which brings it up to 133 including parking. its an unreal apartment.. def worthy of the price tag.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's the property of the Harbour Board, they can bring in any rule they like. there are plenty of signs around indicating that clamping is in force.

You are only paying to park until 9am.

Yeah but what's clamping for?

If you go into a newsagent will they kick you out for reading the first page of a magazine without paying. There your customers so you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Put an ad up in the entrance of Dun Aengus saying you're looking for parking space to rent. Every apartment has a space in the multistory and some apartments don't have drivers so they rent it out. It's about 60/month usually.

Despite both sides of the road being owned by different companies... I'm fairly sure they use the same clamping company so neither side is safer risking! There were 9 cars clamped here one morning last week! :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement