Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Scotch(not single malts) can compare with an Irish ?

Options
  • 13-08-2008 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

For me it has to be Famous Grouse - It's about the only Scottish blend I can stomach.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Glenfiddich aint bad but not sure iff its not a single malt

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Glenfiddich is a malt alright - it's not bad -especially the 18yr old

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EOB32

The Famous Grouse is probably the best or most drinkable Scotch imo, but theres another one I tried before called White and Mackay I think which was also quite a good Scotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Nothing will taste like an Irish, not even the Lowlands stuff. That's not to say it's better or worse. Even the triple distilled Auchentoshan does not tast Irish.

Balentines 17 is a very good blend.

True - horses for courses - I suppose I was brought up with Irish Whiskey and rather than saying that Irish is superior - for me it's a better taste than Scotch . I've tried plenty of scotchs (blends) and really can't find one that I'd part money with instead of Powers or Jameson - but the grouse comes close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Well, I also prefer Irish. I order Powers when in a pub.

Irish blends are usually higher quality than Scotch ones. The Scotch industry tends to use more worn-out barrels for their blends - third fill and beyond. Some also use the blends to disguise bad casks.

I have a bottle of Bells that I bought a few years ago on a summer holiday - god damn awful stuff - not even OK if you mix it with diet coke !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

shanel23 wrote: »
    not even OK if you mix it with diet coke !

I'm not sure I can think of anything that would taste better with diet coke... :eek:

I like diet coke as a mixer - it's not bad with vodka or inferior quality whiskey.

Advertisement