Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTW ticket Prices!! HELP!!!

• 14-08-2008 1:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4

hi all,

Sorry another RTW trip question. I am browsing the net for past few months now and I think I am actually just cluttering up my head at this stage.just to give you a rough idea of my plan I hope to spend 6-7 months in total on my trip starting in NOV this year.
    This is a rough breakdown:
    Nov- Dec 6-7 weeks South America
    Dec- March 3 months OZ
    March- April 1 Month New Zealand
    April- May 2 weeks Thailand
    I have tried trailfinders and there were very helpful and a RTW ticket but it really didnt suit me because I want t get to sydney at christmas and Auckland at a later date.However I would have to go to auckland with there ticket first at christmas
    I have got a qoute from Say-it who have a RTW ticket which allows u to double back to New Zealand at a later date.They also included an internal flight in south America (air pass they called it extra on top of RTW ticket) from Buenos Aires to Lima which was working out quite expensive online.
    Total cost is €2589 including taxes for below.
    Cork-London- Rio De Janeiro-Buenos Aires- Lima-(overland)- Santiago-Sydney-Auckland-Bangkok-london-Cork

Can anyone tell me if this is good price or could I do better somewhere else or better trying to do it myself.

Any feedback would be great and most appreciated I really just want to book something at this stage!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Santiago to Auckland is the only real link between South America and Aus/NZ. So choosing to go to Sydney and then back to Auckland is probably adding a few euro onto the price. I think Say it are usually cheap enough. I did a similar trip in the other direction in 2003-04. It was around €1700, could be inflation though.

Other companies doing the RTW are One World and Star Alliance. Call in to a BA office for a ONe World Price,
    http://www.oneworld.com/ow/air-travel-options/round-the-world-fares

Star Alliance aren't as high quality, try here to find an office to visit:
    http://www.staralliance.com/booking_contacts.do?language=en&carrier=ALL&continent=IE

Let me know how you get on, I'll be booking a RTW ticket in a year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Have you thought of the weather im sure NZ will be getting cold by March, why not hit there first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 fitzsilver

Thanks for your responses guys!! I am still under my miles so returning to Auckland shouldnt add much as far as I know anyway. Just noticed there it looks like from my last post that I have internal flight from Rio to Buenos Aires but this isnt the case just have the 1 internal flight from Buenos Aires to Lima. I think maybe this is the price range that I am looking at this stage could be inflation, taxes are mad the moment.
    The weather is prob going to be a factor alright at that time of year but I have family/friends in sydney so would like to be there for Christmas. Also have friends living in New Zealand but there coming home for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eric_

Can't really help you with your exact itinerary but I had got quotes recently for a similar one.

Dublin - Sydney - Auckland - Santiago - (overland) Los Angeles - Dublin, starting in Feb 2009.

Trailfinders - €2200
    Usit - €2358 (extra stop in Bangkok, flight from Lima back to Dublin, no LA)
    TravelNation - £1605/€2036 (From London, Dublin flight would be extra)

Was also in touch with AustralianHolidays and they quoted me €998 from Dublin to Auckland with a stopover in Sydney for up to 12 months (one way). Waiting to hear back form them with a round world quote.
    Can't really help you with your exact itinerary but I had got quotes recently for a similar one.

Dublin - Sydney - Auckland - Santiago - (overland) Los Angeles - Dublin, starting in Feb 2009.

Trailfinders - €2200 approx (€1600 + around €600 tax)
    Usit - €2358 (extra stop in Bangkok, flight from Lima back to Dublin, no LA)
    TravelNation - £1605/€2036 (From London, Dublin flight would be extra)

Was also in touch with AustralianHolidays and they quoted me €998 from Dublin to Auckland with a stopover in Sydney for up to 12 months (one way). Waiting to hear back form them with a round world quote.

*AustralianHolidays just got back with a quote of €2298.

So looks like Trailfinders are just about the cheapest so far for me. Although Trailfinders price was not exact so may not end up saving much between them. Still waiting to hear back from a few other places.
    Hope this helps a little.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

eric_ wrote: »

How are you planning to do that one?? Get a bus right up through South and Central America? You'd also have to get a boat from Columbia to Panama. Or you might end up spending a lot more getting a flight later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

preddy wrote: »
    Have you thought of the weather im sure NZ will be getting cold by March, why not hit there first?

I spent a couple of months in NZ in April & May, and while it can get cold at night, the weather was generally very good with very little rain and lots of sunshine.

It won't be Queensland hot obviously, but I found it very pleasant, but you would need a jacket/fleece most nights if you were walking to the pub or restaurant. If you're looking to do some winter sports in the south island, I think that season starts around May.

Try Austravel for the RTW ticket. I researched my trip for about 6 months (I had a handy job at the time and was basically a full-time travel researcher :D), and after going into almost every place in Dublin, I found them the best value and the easiest to deal with. Their staff were very co-operative, didn't try and force anything on you, and had a lot of personal experience travelling themselves.

They added in extra destinations after the booking at no extra cost and were generally excellent. Worth speaking to them for a quote IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eric_

dory wrote: »
    How are you planning to do that one?? Get a bus right up through South and Central America? You'd also have to get a boat from Columbia to Panama. Or you might end up spending a lot more getting a flight later.

To be honest I haven't put much thought into. It's a fairly optimistic plan. General idea was a combination of trekking and bus (and boat where necessary). Still have alot of research to do to see how feasible it is, and beyond that, to decide on an itinerary. So have you travelled through South America yourself?

Advertisement