Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Celica (Gen 7). Quick Question.

Options
  • 14-08-2008 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

I was looking at the celica vttl-i and read a few reviews of it and the issue of low torque at mid revs crept up quite a bit and basically said that to get a decent bit of torque you'd have to almost redline the engine?
    Does this mean then that at mid rev(low torque) itd behave like a smaller litre car(e.g 1.4) or would you still be aware that your driving a 1.8?
    Say for example if you were at mid-rev and suddenly put down the foot, would it be fast to react and take off?
    Thanks in advance if anyone can clear things up a bit for me.:)

(sorry if it got confusing there at the end!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

at low revs it's like driving a normal 1.8 car. not fast, but not slow either. it's all relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

If you were at 'mid revs' 4k/5k and you floored it, it would be quite quick.
    The problem with the torque is at the lower end.
    If you're in 2nd gear and you floor it when you're sitting at 4k, you'll definitely move quick.
    If you're in 6th gear at 2k, you'll barely notice you're pressing the accelerator.

As colm_mcm says, it's relative.

PS. Get the VVTLi version!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Orite I see thanks for clearing that up for me beacuse I'm currently driving a golf tdi(90bhp) at the moment and theres a fair bit of go when ur goin along at 2k revs and suddenly floor it she takes off fairly rapidly but thats coz of the turbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

martydunf wrote: »
    Orite I see thanks for clearing that up for me beacuse I'm currently driving a golf tdi(90bhp) at the moment and theres a fair bit of go when ur goin along at 2k revs and suddenly floor it she takes off fairly rapidly but thats coz of the turbo.

You'll miss that alright if you're used to it, but the vvtl-i would embarrass a 90bhp TDi outright. You'll need to readjust your driving style. The car is fine at 40mph in 6th, you just don't get the surge that you're used to from a turbo. What you do get is a linear power delivery, it progresses evenly up to 6k rpm, at that point it takes a step upwards till about 8,500 rpm.
    In the Golf you get nothing, then everything at around 2k, then that tapers quickly back to nothing at 3,300 rpm.

Advertisement