Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

learner permit (Provisional licence)

Options
  • 14-08-2008 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

im doing the theory test next week for the car category but im just wondering when exactly can i apply for my licence? can i apply now and and get it and have to wait untill im 17 to use it or do i have to wait untill im 17 before i can apply for it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm pretty sure you have to be 17 to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

oh ok because in england you can apply for your licence at the age of 16yrs 9 months, your licence will come into force on your 17th birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Gotta be 17. You can do the theory test at any age (even if you were 10), except it expires after X(3?) years. You also need an eyetest and 2 passport photos for application.

Have all that done, get the form and fill it out, and you can walk in on the day of your birthday and apply for it, but depending on your motor tax office, you may have to wait 2~weeks for it by mail, or you could have it that afternoon.

You can then have a driving test enabling you to get a full license 6 months after you've recieved your learner permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Gotta be 17. You can do the theory test at any age (even if you were 10), except it expires after X(3?) years. You also need an eyetest and 2 passport photos for application.

Have all that done, get the form and fill it out, and you can walk in on the day of your birthday and apply for it, but depending on your motor tax office, you may have to wait 2~weeks for it by mail, or you could have it that afternoon.

You can then have a driving test enabling you to get a full license 6 months after you've recieved your learner permit.

It expires after two years.

Advertisement