Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, you watch soccer, but can you play?

• 14-08-2008 7:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

How many of those here can actually play soccer to a semi decent level?

As a kid i was a good player, played for my school but didn't really watch it. Now i'm older i watch it more and play less. Played soccer in an astro park months ago for the first time since i was a kid and was absolutely dire!!! I couldn't do a single thing i used to be able to do and had the grace of a fat man on ice. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I currently play State Amateur in Western Australia. Pretty good standard with some clubs paying players.

Before that back home I played AUL at club level and also represented UCD in the annual Oscar Traynor Cup where all the leagues play against each other. Played for my school/college as well.

And most importantly, I played for (and captained) Boardeaux! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

These days with all sports, I think "do that!!"; but by the time my body has done that play has left me long behind. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I play football 3 times a week but it's just 5 a side kickabouts with mates in the evenings. I'd probably be in a world of hurt if I played a competitive game :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I play in premier LSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I currently play State Amateur in Western Australia. Pretty good standard with some clubs paying players.

Before that back home I played AUL at club level and also represented UCD in the annual Oscar Traynor Cup where all the leagues play against each other. Played for my school/college as well.

And most importantly, I played for (and captained) Boardeaux! :D

Oscar Traynor is/was my great-grandfather.

Some useless info for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

As a youngster I played for the DDSL squad. When I hit 17 I had trials with Shels, which were abruptly brought to a halt with a broken ankle.

Once I recovered I played LSL Intermediate (1A & 1B) until another bad knee injury forced me into semi-retirement 3 years ago at 28.

Now I just make noises about getting fit again and going back to playing serious football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

You're also the worst penalty taker I have ever seen Iago!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Draupnir wrote: »
    You're also the worst penalty taker I have ever seen Iago!!

lol! 0 for 2 with fairly dire attempts alright!

In fairness I actually took penalties for my LSL side, but for some reason whenever I played Astro I struggled with penalties. I think I've missed 5 penalties in total in my life, and 4 of those were on Astro.

I've no idea how many I've scored, but it's comfortably 5/6 times that number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Could be the surface alright, I'd prefer a peno on grass any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Played for St. Joseph's in the DDSL premier league at schoolboy level. Played for UCD's fresher, intermediate and U-21 team. Played top sunday league in the LSL after that. Then work got in the way and fitness very quickly vanished. Pity cos the brain still works but the body is a few seconds behind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Played Premier DDSL for Leixlip United. Got seriously injured playing U-17s and was out for 6 years. Returned to play with Boardeaux last year to see if the auld body could take it. Plan to return to weekend ball next year. Currently out for 3 months with broken wrist joint. Curse my bad luck :(

Played for St. Joseph's in the DDSL premier league at schoolboy level.

Same, wasn't too bad until I started drinking at 16 or so :o .

Still play nearly every Friday after work.

Played for St. Joseph's in the DDSL premier league at schoolboy level. Played for UCD's fresher, intermediate and U-21 team. Played top sunday league in the LSL after that. Then work got in the way and fitness very quickly vanished. Pity cos the brain still works but the body is a few seconds behind

Didn't realise you'd played at such a high level dude. What position did you play back in the day? Get your self back in shape for the Boardeaux cause, go on, you know you want to ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Didn't realise you'd played at such a high level dude. What position did you play back in the day? Get your self back in shape for the Boardeaux cause, go on, you know you want to ;)

Played centre mid and could run all day. Imagine that!!

I remember those days myself. It was the 90s :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

used be the utility man on a fairly successful schools team as a young un, although i took the term utility man to new levels. as an example of my versatility in one run I played the first few matches as a fullback, then played another as DM, another as a LW, then played the semi final and final as Striker. then did my cruciate in. used be an excellent man marker in me day, that's why I was played all over the shop. target their best player no matter where he played; was a pretty effective strategy for us.

nowadays the injuries to the knees have left some lingering cartilege damage that makes it difficult for me to keep up with competitive teams. still play 5 a side pretty regularly though. and i still have no f*cking idea where my best position is/was. the optimist in me though likes to think it was as a striker :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Played Premier DDSL for Leixlip United. Got seriously injured playing U-17s and was out for 6 years. Returned to play with Boardeaux last year to see if the auld body could take it. Plan to return to weekend ball next year. Currently out for 3 months with broken wrist joint. Curse my bad luck :(
    6 years :eek:
    What happened..did you lose a leg and have to wait for it to grow back? :D

Fair play for getting back into it after that long though.

My leg fell in a hole and it took me six years to get it out :D No, it was a chronic injury. Still bothers me but less so than it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Goalkeeper in 16 premier DDSL at the minute.
    Gets a lot harder to play once you start drinking but it's all right at the minute:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

hey, where's estebancambiasso? I'd like to hear his story, again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I played for ten years for three sunday league teams, two at a good standard and the third was a new team formed which i played for the first season for. I played CM or up front and if we where short RB, also played with work. Then like most work came along and training became harder to each week, so i started to play astro twice a week but i've stopped that also, i usually go now and again if i have time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

hey, where's estebancambiasso? I'd like to hear his story, again!

Why, is Este a budding star???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

When I was younger the team I played for was far better than we knew i.e we didnt take it all that serious but we could have been great in retrospect - gave me one of my favourite anecdotes though (only actually found out it was him a few years after) about how I played against Wayne Rooney once and kicked lumps outta him. Since then though Serious Injuries sustained sidelined both my Football and Rugby career's... o well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ibh wrote: »
    Why, is Este a budding star???

cos we will all be watching him playing for Roma soon:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This year is my first year not to play since I was 8, 26 now, building a house so just don't have the time, hopefully go back next year although injuries have plauged me since I was 18, before that I was decent enough captained school and club teams and played for county in Kennedy cup etc.

Crash test dummy is what I was called sometimes, I put my head in where others wouldn't put their foot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Played DDSL premier as well until I stopped playing altogether. Still fairly good albeit a bit rusty. Might start playing again come to think of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Only ever played one 11 a side match in my life, that was when a match was organised between the poker forum on here and one of the lads teams. Great fun, but I wasn't up to much.

It's all rugby for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Used to play all the time as a kid. Would either play Goalkeeper or midfield (was quite large).

Now I play most Thursday with work, indoor pitching in trinity.

Fancy myself as a playmaker :D

Any chance of arranging a match some time?
    Don't get why there aint a software [Or replace with your industry] company 5-a-side league given the interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm Gary Neville. Stephen Kelly is an alias.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm decent. Can score goals reasonbly well and have good vision and fair to good passing/range.

Speed and sometimes control let me down.

In all I'd never be first picked but I'm a dark horse - will net a few in a game and people would never expect it from me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Christ yiz are all practically pro's!!

I was a RB in school for 2 years and GK for 1. Was pretty good at both, though not fantastic.

Proudest moment for me was doing a Beckham from the half way line on what (i think) was a full sized pitch. Then again i was small so i could be mistaken. Other than that making a few saves that just weren't expected, the ones where everything goes in slow motion until you hear gasps from the sidelines at what could have been a great goal, but turned out to be an even better save:)

I'd love to start playing again, it would literally take me a year of solid playing to get into half decent shape:( Right now i couldn't run for 5 minutes on astro, let alone a full size pitch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I, when I'm fit, can pass and read the game as well as any amatuer and better than a lot of "professional" players on this island, but im far too unfit to play seriously.

Just a plug here, looking to return to 11 a side football or supplement weekend football? Why not come down and train with the Boards Team. See our forum for details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i play once or twice a week on astro turf, although was never really any good at it as a kid, and not great now, but its good exercise and a bit of craic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just a plug here, looking to return to 11 a side football or supplement weekend football? Why not come down and train with the Boards Team. See our forum for details

well i live in Athlone and am moving to galway in a few weeks so its not really an option.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'd love to play for boardeaux but would they pay for my travel and accomodation from Dundalk to Dublin?

I'd also love to play for Bordeaux but would they pay for medical expenses once i cardiac arrest on the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Played LSL Saturday's. Finished in the Major two years ago and went away. Leaving it behind now as can't commit the time.

I was always just a hoofer with a big engine that got in peoples way but also managed to miss a few peno's in my time. Goals were certainly never in double figures in any year, despite always getting a few headers. Still go up every other week at least and watch whatever lads are still playing for the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I got a note from my mum.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I had an NCAA Scholarship thru college and have made two state all-star teams.

I play wing or forward and I had over a goal a game rate for the first period of this season but it has dropped a bit in the last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Can't believe its at 3 pages and nobody has corrected the OP on the name. It's football not soccer.

Anyway i can play when i'm fit which hasn't been for a while.

Anto McC wrote: »
    Can't believe its at 3 pages and nobody has corrected the OP on the name. It's football not soccer.

Well in Ireland most people call GAA football, and i'm in Canada now so no one has a clue what i'm talking about when i mention football. Force of habit and victim of circumstance has forced me to use the word soccer.

But you're right, it is football:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Play in the roscommon league. Was meant to be gettin trials when i was around 12 with 2 other lads on my local team but never happend. at u18 was asked to go to trials for the u18 roscommon county team but didnt bother as I was told it was a **** setup and also the fact im from mayo put me off.

Played last year in div 1 of roscommon league but got relegated (gaa has crippled our team of any serious players) Quit the gaa to stick with the soccer its the better sport :p

Played on my school team aswell. I was always known as the little tricky player. I could run past players but my shooting is sometimes good sometimes terrible.Had nickname joebinho cuz thats how I sort of play.(at this level that is :P ) Stuck with a bad groin injury i cant shake off for the last 6 months. phsyio and all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Anto McC wrote: »

The name of this forum says different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well in Ireland most people call GAA football,

Not inside the pale we dont. Down with your heathen rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I've won 3 FAI Junior Cup medals. Playing junior soccer in the prem league in limerick. Decent level. Have had horrifically bad times with injuries since i was 16 on. Was supposed to go over to Bolton, Blackpool and Notts County on trial but injuries prevented this.

Trained a few times with Brian Kerrs u15/16 Irish teams (bout 10 years ago now).

One of my better/most recent achievements was getting picked for the Irish Universities team to play in trinity against the Irish I.T.'s team. We won 1-0 and i scored the winner (centre back). In terms of the pace/enjoyment/standard of that game I would rank it number one in each category from what i have played.

I've seen this mentioned a few times and I hope I'm not the only one wondering but what's LSL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Leinster Senior League

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I played a 3 games for NECSL and 2 games for Shamrock Rovers under age. Was scouted by Chelsea at one game but managed to knock myself out against the foot of a post in that game trying to save a ball. I haven't played since I was 16. Gave it up to concentrate on playing Gaelic Football.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Leinster Senior League
    Cheers Xavi, I figured it was something to do with either Leinster or Limerick :).

• Advertisement
Advertisement