Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with installing older version of jdk in X.P

Options
  • 14-08-2008 8:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi Guys,

I am having a problem where I need to compile a java project using jdk1.4. I understand that 1.4 is at E.O.L but due to an application server I am deploying to it needs to be compiled in 1.4.

I have download a version of jdk 1.4 and added it to my path but when I run the command java -version it has not changed but the old jdk 1.6 is the current version!!

I restarted my machine a number of times but no joy. The version I was using before I started to make changes was 1.6 update 5, I downloaded jdk 1.6 update 7 (running out ideas!!) and when I added it to my path and ran the command java -version the new version of jdk was picked up. I then tired to rollback to my jdk 1.6 update 5 by changing the path but it did not rollback to jdk 1.6 update 5 but now jdk 1.6 update 7 was the current version.

I now belive that somewhere the newest version of the jdk is being stored (possible reg keg??). Has anyone advice on what the best approach would be clear out all older version's? Or has anyonwe come across an issue like this before and how did they resolve the issue?

Mnay thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Your problem is that java.exe is in your path.. more than likely in the system32 directory. Use the full path to jdk1.4 when running your app.. i.e. c:\jdk1.4\bin\java abc.class

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

No it is nothing to do with a reg key.

Are you sure you added the bin folder of jdk1.4 to your path. If you are on windows within your shell you can use the command like
    set PATH=c:\jdk1.4\bin;%PATH%

On linux
    export PATH=/usr/bin/java1.4/bin;$PATH

You will also more than likely need to set the JAVA_HOME env variable for your server to work.

**Sorry, didn't notice the XP bit until now.**

Advertisement