Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye folks

Options
  • 14-08-2008 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Given recent events on boards.ie I no longer want to be a part of a site that treats it's members in such a way. Boards doesn't deserve to have me as a member and I'm out of here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

That's a pity John - see you over on THL anyway ;)
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    The rules of the forum say not to argue with the moderators in-thread. Back on topic.
    :rolleyes: Makes his avatar all the more appropriate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Cant say I blame ya John

We'll miss ya around here, the shine has really come off this site (not just this particular forum) over the last 12 months and especially as I have become a mod

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

johngalway wrote: »
    Given recent events on boards.ie I no longer want to be a part of a site that treats it's members in such a way. Boards doesn't deserve to have me as a member and I'm out of here.

Sorry to see you go john thanks for all your advise and posts over the last few months. It all seems well harsh to me when you see some people pushing the boundaries all the time.

Safe and happy shooting john take care Riflehunter 77

Sorry to see you go - you always posted excellent comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Made some good friends on here who I will definately be keeping in touch with :) Thanks for the kind comments. I hope they don't mind me mentioning them (again) but Vegeta, Tikkamark, CliveJ, TheLurcher and a few others on here know where I'll be should anyone wish to keep in touch :)

One thing I will say is don't let any comments get out of hand. It's my decision to go based on how I was treated and I'd not like to see the same treatment dished out to other nor see work made for the shooting mods who are sound lads anyway.

Off to clean up my inbox and clear profile then off to pastures new :D

Bye all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Sent you PM
    But I have to say OUT LOUD HERE I'm very sorry to see you go. You always gave me good sound advice, sometimes not what I needed to hear.

Shoot to kill and let the last thing for foxy to hear is "sit boy, there's a good dog"

Missing you already

Clive J............................from KK

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

John

I am very sorry to hear that. I know you have helped me over the past while and I am sure I am not the only one.

Best of luck in the future.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

See you elswhere John ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sorry to see you go dude.PM incoming to you before you clean out the desk.:(
    Regds
    Grizzly

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Sorry to see you go man, but keep giving the foxes hell .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Red Renard

Never say never John, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

What the HELL was a ban issued for? I read the posts and cant see any issues with the posts:confused: Mod or not john is alloweed to disagree with his statements?

if this was the case SPARKS would have us all banned:D;)

Dont pack it in John:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

I will second the the 10 or 12 prior posts . Always enjoyed reading your posts, said it like you saw it, may the chips fall where they may. Good trait.
    I will have to do some back reading.

Buy that Browning Low Wall in .243 Win. or .260 Rem and shoot it. You will enjoy it.

There is a certain amount of humbuggery in today’s shooting scene, but John from Galway is the real thing, and a lot of us are going to miss him.

Be seeing you further down the road John.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

See you John. Will be in touch with Tikka anyway and it's not like you don't know the way to our neck of the woods :D.

On a general note, it's sad to see a levelheaded knowledgable chap go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Sorry John.

But if you are packing in Boards because of feeling hard done by (which you were) the only one loseing is you! Mate there are people in the world who are just followers and small minded. You are not one of these. You would be making more of a stand by been part of boards regardless of anything said. I feel that some "people" closed ranks on you.

We need, all the open minded people we can get here!

Stay with use ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Have to say John, having finally found and read the stuff on Politics, I can see how it'd sting - but that's just Politics, even I've been banned from there once. That's the nature of that forum.

However, there's never been any question of a ban there or in any other forum having weight here. It seems odd to give up a forum you enjoy because of the actions of someone utterly unconnected with it in another forum entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

It might be more the nature of the Mod.

But that Mod isn't a mod here and hasn't even ever posted in here.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

chem wrote: »
    What the HELL was a ban issued for? I read the posts and cant see any issues with the posts:confused: Mod or not john is alloweed to disagree with his statements?

Unless I've missed something, John didn't get a ban. He got a warning first, then an infraction.

Politics is a funny forum. Often it's not what you say but how you say it, I know I've had posts which, if worded differently, would have earned me a ban. Certainly, arguing with a mod about moderation on-thread (whether they're right or wrong) is a hanging offence in Politics. Arguing with them about the subject matter at hand is fine, just not about moderation.
    On a general note, it's sad to see a levelheaded knowledgable chap go.

+1, particularly from a mod's point of view. It was always nice to have a sane, sensible head knocking around.

Perhaps you would reconsider leaving and only just leave the Politics forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Stick with it John, this is democracy, once you don't pi*s someone off.

Sikamick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

+1 on all the above John.

By all means leave the politics forum and let them stew in it, you're much more valuable here anyway :)

It would be the shooting boards loss if you left.

Do reconsider

Thanks

rrpc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'd like to clarify some things.

First though, I'd like to thank all those who have PM'd me and there have been many :) I'd also like to thank all those who have contributed to this topic with your kind words :)

I did not recieve a ban.

I decided to leave myself as I deeply resent the way I have been treated by certain people in authority on boards.ie. I did put considerable thought into staying in the shooting only section. I don't feel I can. As said in my first post I cannot stomach being a member of a site that treats it's members in such a way.

I've been publicly baited, ambushed, reprimanded, ignored, insulted and attempts have been made to humiliate me both in Politics and Helpdesk. I won't stand for that and I don't think any of you would either. That is the main reason why I can't and won't stay. If I am as people say a valuable member, then I do not wish to draw new members into a place that acts in that way.

It's not a rant, idle threat, nor throwing toys out of the pram. It's the way it is.

The shooting forum mods are all sound lads. None of them was in any way involved in the disagreement I had with others. Infact two mods stood up for me and one recieved a reprimand for doing so.

Any disagreement I've had with a mod in this section, and I bear no ill will to any of them, has always been met with a person to person conversation. Any difficulties we've not been able to resolve we've been adult enough to agree to disagree on and move on.

I've spent a good part of the day replying to PM's, tomorrow I'll get back to anyone I have missed by one means or another with contact details for myself etc. :)

Happy hunting/shooting all :)

Edited to add;

I am sorry if I'm letting down anyone here, genuinely. But I am still online elsewhere. If anyone feels I can help them with anything then please do get in touch and I'll try to sort ya if I'm able to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

johngalway wrote: »
    I'd like to clarify some things.

First though, I'd like to thank all those who have PM'd me and there have been many :) I'd also like to thank all those who have contributed to this topic with your kind words :)

I did not recieve a ban.

I decided to leave myself as I deeply resent the way I have been treated by certain people in authority on boards.ie. I did put considerable thought into staying in the shooting only section. I don't feel I can. As said in my first post I cannot stomach being a member of a site that treats it's members in such a way.

I've been publicly baited, ambushed, reprimanded, ignored, insulted and attempts have been made to humiliate me both in Politics and Helpdesk. I won't stand for that and I don't think any of you would either. That is the main reason why I can't and won't stay. If I am as people say a valuable member, then I do not wish to draw new members into a place that acts in that way.

It's not a rant, idle threat, nor throwing toys out of the pram. It's the way it is.

The shooting forum mods are all sound lads. None of them was in any way involved in the disagreement I had with others. Infact two mods stood up for me and one recieved a reprimand for doing so.

Any disagreement I've had with a mod in this section, and I bear no ill will to any of them, has always been met with a person to person conversation. Any difficulties we've not been able to resolve we've been adult enough to agree to disagree on and move on.

I've spent a good part of the day replying to PM's, tomorrow I'll get back to anyone I have missed by one means or another with contact details for myself etc. :)

Happy hunting/shooting all :)

Edited to add;

I am sorry if I'm letting down anyone here, genuinely. But I am still online elsewhere. If anyone feels I can help them with anything then please do get in touch and I'll try to sort ya if I'm able to :)

John I know how you feel, I've been there, but don't let the Ba**ard's grind you down, keep on fighting.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Is a majority of one...Or so the old saying goes.If John doesn't feel comfortable being in a clup/group/organisation anymore.Then we should respect his decision and desire to leave it.And maybe WE should have a look at ourselves that by stayingquiet or not protesting about that whole way he was treated in politics and help desk,are we indirectly supporting further carry on like that????? I doubt that he is the first person to have a gripe with boards.ie on resolution sorting and feedback and wont be the last either.
    Somtimes get the feeling that maybe this section of boards.ie [shooting] has outgrown it's clothes here and needs to fly as a seperate entity altogether,on its own.
    Just my 2c

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Politics is a seperate forum Grizzly, along with the hundreds of others in here. Their mods are independent of ours. If you go in there, you're expected to follow their rules, not ours. It's like going to another country. Helpdesk has been a problem in the past; there's been a large discussion on how to fix that between mods and admins, and efforts to fix it are underway.

But if you break a forum's stated rules, there's not going to be much support for your case in there no matter what fixes are implemented. Politics has had a long-standing rule that you don't argue with moderation in there, that you take it to PM or Helpdesk or Feedback. And the level of muppetry in Politics has (for as long as I've been here anyway) been very, very high so that's always been strictly (even harshly) enforced. The demographics of the Politics forum are different as well, leading to a different tone to the place - if the mods there didn't act so strictly, they'd lose control of the place inside a week and it'd be shut down.

Didn't I always tell you guys that you didn't know how good you had it in here with us? :D

As to here outgrowing its clothes, I really don't agree, and with all the efforts made in the past few years (and the current ones) to see here closed down through direct or indirect means, I'm frankly of the opinion that we must be doing something right. The levels of activity and the width of the audience, to my mind at least, confirm that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

John,

Sorry to hear you are going, I've just stumbled cross this thread & I may have missed you by now.

Like as stated above, thanks for all the tips you shared. They have helped me in the past with the fox shooting etc. Hopefully might bump into you on another forum.

You are a man of principle, I respect your decision to leave, albeit regrettable.

All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

What exactly happend here??

I don't know John but he seems like a really good man...

Any way I can read what happened??

Advertisement