Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircoms new Packages, was it really an upgrade?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

I honestly believe eircoms "upgrade" has been a total disaster.
    The amount of threads posted concerning the problems really confirms this.
    Of course there are some people who are happy, but people without a top phone line and who are gamers really suffered this from upgrade.

People stuck somewhere between the 3 and 7.6 meg package and having big problems such as syncing , congestion, unstable connections and obscene ping times in the 200's. For the gamers , i think there all gona be downgrading back to 3MB and lower pings, i have seen many people requesting this already.

NTL upgraded there network , 40 euro a month for 20 MEG broadband, while eircoms similar or closest offering costs around 179 euros a month for residental packages. This in itself is a joke.

I think eircom no themselves by now this "Upgrade" has fail badly and have really affected peoples connections in a bad way.
    I just feel sick knowing i cant get higher speeds without sacficing my online gaming. How is that a upgrade? Its a no grade, because for higher speeds your loosing out on latency.

Eircom, from the good few years iv been dealing with them, are a shower on cons. I really hope this "upgrade" hurts them in a bad way,
    because on a overall scale it has really failed badly.
    They should have spent time upgrading their "infrastructure" because lets face it, it surely is one of the worst in europe. Eircom have made alot of promises in the past and have never delivered.
    I feel sorry for other DSL ISPS in the country cause the majority are running off eircoms backarse of a network and will never overgain them.

To sum it up, i hate them:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Its not going to hurt Eircon one bit and neither is their massively expensive pricing because simple matter is for most of the country theyre the only option( id consider mobile broadband useless for most things ). They have a monopoly, they know it and theyre ripping the consumer off because of it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

nuxxx wrote: »
    I honestly believe eircoms "upgrade" has been a total disaster.
    The amount of threads posted concerning the problems really confirms this.
    Of course there are some people who are happy, but people without a top phone line and who are gamers really suffered this from upgrade.

People stuck somewhere between the 3 and 7.6 meg package and having big problems such as syncing , congestion, unstable connections and obscene ping times in the 200's. For the gamers , i think there all gona be downgrading back to 3MB and lower pings, i have seen many people requesting this already.

NTL upgraded there network , 40 euro a month for 20 MEG broadband, while eircoms similar or closest offering costs around 179 euros a month for residental packages. This in itself is a joke.

I think eircom no themselves by now this "Upgrade" has fail badly and have really affected peoples connections in a bad way.
    I just feel sick knowing i cant get higher speeds without sacficing my online gaming. How is that a upgrade? Its a no grade, because for higher speeds your loosing out on latency.

Eircom, from the good few years iv been dealing with them, are a shower on cons. I really hope this "upgrade" hurts them in a bad way,
    because on a overall scale it has really failed badly.
    They should have spent time upgrading their "infrastructure" because lets face it, it surely is one of the worst in europe. Eircom have made alot of promises in the past and have never delivered.
    I feel sorry for other DSL ISPS in the country cause the majority are running off eircoms backarse of a network and will never overgain them.

To sum it up, i hate them:)
    I agree totally, seriously considering UPC's 20meg package as its available in my area

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Eircom is my only viable choice, infact i have no choice, just like the rest of the country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Really dissaponted with the quality of the connection from eircom over the last week. It's good when it's good, but keeps on dropping down to way worse than it was the week before or just loosing connection completely for me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Eircom is my only viable choice, infact i have no choice, just like the rest of the country.

Thats the root of the problem. Were stuck with these clowns.
    No matter how much we vent our frustration theres nothing we can do.

If NTL really want to be the top provider in this country they need to
    expand there network, same as smart and magnet.

I dream one day eircom will be a small isp and wishing what could have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

yoyo wrote: »
    I agree totally, seriously considering UPC's 20meg package as its available in my area

Nick

Dont UPC rent the their lines from eircom ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

UPC / NTL is cable

Totally seperate system to ADSL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    Dont UPC rent the their lines from eircom ?

No, they're a cable company and have hybrid Fibre-coax network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i didnt realise ntl was co ax/fibre and not adsl

bye bye eircom u shower of kunts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

I feel the same, my 2Mb dsl had a good ping and very rarely disconnected, I got this " upgrade " and now gaming online is unbearable, it even makes my ICE connection look stable! As has been said they have a monopoly and are taking full advantage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

sure look at my thread about eircom disconnects, i pay 45 euro a month and i officially have the worst connection in the world.

i game online and get dc all the time.

gonna try get the folks to leave eircom for the telephone too just in spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

What were eircom to do? Stand by and let UPC beef up the competition and do nothing or announce and carry out the upgrade (yes, later than expected) and be able to advertise higher speeds? Few people will need very low pings. Being able to gain extra customers as a result of increased speeds for the same money could be more lucrative than the losses incurred in users cancelling their service for lower pings with other providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 a bald bloke

I feel the same, my 2Mb dsl had a good ping and very rarely disconnected, I got this " upgrade " and now gaming online is unbearable, it even makes my ICE connection look stable! As has been said they have a monopoly and are taking full advantage!

Horrible to say but thank god for that,
    was beginning to think i was the only one.

Cannot play online at all over the last few days since the upgrade, just
    not worth even trying, pings are low but the connection is appalling

example: i paid 66euro per month through utv for a 3mb connection, i had a max upload synch of 64kilobits per second, after logging so many calls with utv and me begging for a technician to call out, they just told me to f*** *** and stop logging calls on my phone/account number, they provide no guarantees and that the line behaves as expected ***ts

I MOVED HOUSE BECAUSE OF THOSE ****S need i say more

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

You actually moved house because of the lack of service from an ISP?

Tim131 wrote: »
    You actually moved house because of the lack of service from an ISP?
    yep, moved house, but not ISP eircon wouldnt do anything apart from remote test the line, wouldnt mind the line was just newly installed as i waited six months for that lol

Advertisement