Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top new phones this year...

• 14-08-2008 9:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,071 ✭✭✭✭

So, may be looking at replacing my LG Viewty this Christmas (don't really like it - UI is poor, no good programs available for it, can't play decent games on it, memory limitation bugs and some other things) so I was looking at what would be the best to get.

So far my eye has been caught by the N96 and the Samsung i8510 Innov8. Both seem to be the 'hot' phone this year and are running on the same Symbian OS. Anyone know much about either phone? I have heard Samsung have their phones locked down so you can't install your own apps on them, which would make me lean towards the Nokia.

Both phones have broadly similar specs (GPS, DIVX playback) but the Samsung boasts the 8mp camera, though how good it will be without a proper sensor is an issue while the Nokia has a built in TV tuner. The TV Tuner sounds great but i think it would be useless in Ireland as I don't think we have the FreeSat setup to take advantage of it.

Any thoughts or suggestions on either phone, or even another phone. Was also thinking of the 3g iPhone if i could source an unlocked one by christmas but i'm just not sure about it. 2mp camera annoys me and the awkwardness of getting an unlocked one and keeping it updated but still unlocked.. dunno.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,131 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

samsung omnia, htc touch diamond or pro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

i've the viewty as well, i'm waiting on the nokia e66.....I still have an e65 but i've just got so used to the viewty the nokia rarley sees light of day...

I find the touch interface on mine bang on, my dad had one and it was horrible to use...same phone but they behaved in completley different ways....if the interface is not working well it could be faulty....mines silky smooth....

mmm....e66 http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/16/nokia-e66-s60-slider-goes-official/ come on 3 bring it out already!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

The N96 looks like a calss phone all right - pretty expensive though... €945 on expansys on pre order.
    Have you had a look at the HTC models?
    They are very flexiable and have all the specs you could want, although the camera is 3.2 Mega pixels on the new models, but with no light...
    I recently got a HTC Touch Diamond and it's a great bit of kit, surprisgly small for a Phone/PDA/GPS and looks real nice.

Also on the samsung / install programs issue. I have a tocco and and am able to install java apps as they run on some kind of java OS
    I have not tried anything non Java yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,071 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i've the viewty as well, i'm waiting on the nokia e66.....I still have an e65 but i've just got so used to the viewty the nokia rarley sees light of day...

I find the touch interface on mine bang on, my dad had one and it was horrible to use...same phone but they behaved in completley different ways....if the interface is not working well it could be faulty....mines silky smooth....

mmm....e66 http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/16/nokia-e66-s60-slider-goes-official/ come on 3 bring it out already!!!

No, the interface is working - i just don't think it is very good - too many screens to click through to get to what you want and the fact some screens can be finger scrolled while some can only be scrolled using the slider. then there doesn't seem to be an easy way to put videos or songs in folders (don't want video playlists) just loads of irritating little things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,131 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mik_da_man wrote: »
    The N96 looks like a calss phone all right - pretty expensive though... €945 on expansys on pre order.
    They are very flexiable and have all the specs you could want, although the camera is 3.2 Mega pixels on the new models, but with no light...
    I recently got a HTC Touch Diamond and it's a great bit of kit, surprisgly small for a Phone/PDA/GPS and looks real nice.

Also on the samsung / install programs issue. I have a tocco and and am able to install java apps as they run on some kind of java OS

samsung innov8r is symbian and the omnia is wm6 :)

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    No, the interface is working - i just don't think it is very good - too many screens to click through to get to what you want and the fact some screens can be finger scrolled while some can only be scrolled using the slider. then there doesn't seem to be an easy way to put videos or songs in folders (don't want video playlists) just loads of irritating little things.

I find it very easy to get to where I want, Bluetooth 2 clicks, any of my apps 2 clicks, all screens can be fingure scrolled.....where you running into problems....

I find it very easy to get to where I want, Bluetooth 2 clicks, any of my apps 2 clicks, all screens can be fingure scrolled.....where you running into problems....

Well, if i want a particular game - I have to click - Menu->Film Board Icon-> Games and Apps->My games and apps -> GAMES, then scroll to the game.

I know you can use the second menu for some stuff but i think it looks crapo and cheap. Not all of the screens can be scrolled by swiping your finger - browsing files on a memory card for instance.

Anyway, just not a great fan of it and I'm looking for something better with better implimentation of game playing (no multi-touch on Viewty) and something with GPS too.

mik_da_man wrote: »

Expansys have a habbit of high pre-order prices, so i'm hoping the N96 and i8510 will come down to a more reasonable level.

Had a look at the HTC Diamond on youtube (via expansys) and it looks very nice. Not a fan of the camera though, no light. Would also need to find out what apps are available for it, and games, and how it handles game playing.

A load of apps avaiable for it as it runs WM 6.1
    As for games I have a few, it has an acceleratometer (I think that's what's it called)
    Basically like the I-phone it senses movement so some cool games can be played utilising that.

Tauren wrote: »
    Well, if i want a particular game - I have to click - Menu->Film Board Icon-> Games and Apps->My games and apps -> GAMES, then scroll to the game.

One mine I just hit the launcher button, then hit apps and then scroll to the game or app I want...2 taps and a flick...

I don't go down through the menu, film board etc.

• Advertisement

what's the touchscreen like on the other HTC's, i've used the Tytn II and found the toucscreen horrible to use, really fiddly....so much so I returned it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I'm personally waiting on the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 which should be launching in the next few months. Made by HTC for Sony Ericsson and comes with a slide-out keyboard; definite contender for handset of the year.

what's the touchscreen like on the other HTC's, i've used the Tytn II and found the toucscreen horrible to use, really fiddly....so much so I returned it...

The screen on the Diamond is better.
    Well the TouchFlo interface helps a lot.
    I have the Tytn II and it was a bit fiddly with the fingers but fine with the stylus.
    I have to say one of the best apps I have on the Tytn II is SPB mobile shell. Basically a whole new interface for the phone making it a LOT more user friendly.

But from using the Diamond I can say that the TouchFlo competes with it.

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Specs-wise the most anticipated phones of the year..
    Probably the Nokia N96 or the HTC Touch Pro.
    A lot of people are drooling over the much vaunted Xperia as well though.

have to say I am finding it hard, at the moment, to look past the Samsung Innov8. looks amazing.

Advertisement